Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Lewes Forum Manifesto.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 11:52pm Bongo wrote:
Well, they've all published their manifesto's - but can we do better?
Time for the Lewes Forum Manifesto! What would you like to see?
I'd like to see a £1 an hour increase in the minimum wage for single people with no dependants (simply because they get absolutely sod-all help re: benefits etc), road sweeping duties for litter-bugs, fines/bans for cyclists who ride on pavements and don't have lights and expect you to get out of their way along Cabbage Walk.
Next...........

On 15 Apr 2010 at 7:20am me wrote:
fine/points for people who clearly don't use indicators on roundabouts. Watching an hour long horrific video on RTA's for the lazy gits who cross the road 50yards from the zebra crossing on the offham road. fine/points for ignorant drivers who ignore pedestrians waiting to cross at said crossing. instant road bans for the fools on bikes who think it's ok to cycle down station street/friars walk on the road.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 8:08am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Instant repatriation for all zebras and pelicans who don't use the crossings designed especially for them.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 8:46am Lewes Lewis wrote:
Get rid of the 'Farmer's Market'.....none of these people are real farmers....to be replaced with a weekly market (properly priced fruit, veg, flowers, plants etc) on the field by Tesco.
Demolish the HQ gallery building. It is an eyesore and has been for sale for ages....heheheh
Free access to the castle for all Lewes residents over the age of 37.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 9:07am sashimi wrote:
So, how old would you be then, Lewis?

On 15 Apr 2010 at 9:19am Lewes Lewis wrote:
38 of course...

On 15 Apr 2010 at 9:25am Down and Out wrote:
Anyone caught using the phrase 'True Lewesian' as some sort of badge of honour shall be permanently exiled to Peacehaven.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 11:31am No Pot Pourri wrote:
I would like to see a beard tax or a facial hair zero tolerance zone in the Gardeners, the Snowdrop and the Lewes Arms.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 1:17pm Snert wrote:
The compulsory termination of Prick Stein.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 1:27pm Prick Stein wrote:
I must've won over another friend, how exciting.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 1:51pm Clifford wrote:
I'd like to see Tesco renamed Waitrose and Waitrose renamed Tesco just to confuse people. All cyclists riding on pavements to be shot, along with present Lewes DC planning department. Use of word 'sustainable' to be outlawed. I also like the suggestion of having a real farmers' market rather than what we've got at present.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 3:41pm Witch wrote:
Stocks to be placed outside Bills....can use his fruit and veg for pelting the local yobs/witches/fornicators/ etc...

On 15 Apr 2010 at 3:48pm Ed Can Do wrote:
I'd like to see a minimum speed limit on roads outside of towns and compulsary re-testing of dirvers once they hit the age of fifty and every five years after that.

I'd also like to see anyone on long term benefits because of an illness that stops them working like a bad back or other physical ailment given a laptop and training to work from home in an IT based job or at least something you can do with a phone and a computer. I'd also go back to the old system whereby people had to physically travel to the jobcentre to collect unemployment benefit and if there were any jobs at all available, they'd have to accept them, starting with whoever had been unemployed the longest. That way the ridiculous benefits bill would be slashed and people would stop spouting nonsence about foreigners taking "our" jobs. I'd also like to see some element of child benefit paid in food tokens redeemable only for healthy food, thereby hopefully reducing the instances of families with two unemployed parents, massive tvs, games consoles, designer clothes and five, massively fat kids.

Finally, I'd either legalise drugs or ban smoking and drinking, with a public referendum to decide which. The current situation where some things that clearly kill you are banned whilst others even more dangerous are allowed is ridiculous and smacks of an ulterior motive.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 4:09pm Clifford wrote:
Ed Can Do wrote: 'I'd also like to see anyone on long term benefits because of an illness that stops them working like a bad back or other physical ailment given a laptop and training to work from home in an IT based job or at least something you can do with a phone and a computer.'

I'm usually against anyone having a go at people on benefit BUT I think this is an excellent idea that I'm sure many incapacitated people would also welcome. Unfortunately, because it's such a sensible idea it's very unlikely the government would ever adopt it. I also agree with you on the drugs/drink debate - personally I'm in favour of all-out legislation but with the drugs, alcohol and tobacco supply taken into public ownership.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 4:41pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
Ed: You don't need a laptop to run a mucky phone line, and at £1.50 per minute it gives a great living wage. You'll have enough for a Davros 2000-Super-Scooter in no time. Thus affording you the mobility to get a proper job.
The point about accepting a job or losing benefits sounds a bit along the lines of the Wisconsin Reform, Cameron is a fan of this are you sure you are not a closet Tory? Leagalise all drugs, we need to re-coup money to fill the big Brown void that this countries finances are in.

On 15 Apr 2010 at 8:05pm Ed Can Do wrote:
The problem with legalisation in reality is that you'd take a massive chunk of income away from some very serious criminals. Rather than go legit, most would perhaps turn to other, less "victimless" forms of crime. It's easier for the government to officially keep it illegal but largely turn a blind eye to what goes on, save for a few high profile arrests now and then to keep the Daily Mail happy. On top of that, by the time drugs have filtered down from importer to street dealer, at least five people will have laundered the proceeds, paying tax on the money to legitimise it in the process. I wonder whether there are official figures for how much tax revenue comes from the laundering of criminally gained funds, I suspect there is and they'll never, ever release those figures.

I'm no Tory but I do see the sense in the Austrian School of economics, whereby if you remove all benefits and state support, people have to accept what work is available. Of course that's unreasonable but I think if you spend money empowering people rather than just subsidising them, the net result is a benefit to the country. We need supply side economics these days, traditional Keynesian gross demand manipulation simply doesn't work.

Sorry, I've made a light hearted thread rather more gloomy and serious here.

On 16 Apr 2010 at 7:29am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Harveys plumbed into every home, so you can have a pint whenever you fancy it.
More dog poo bins and people who don't pick up after their dogs to have the dog confiscated after a third offence.
Repeal the bloody parking scheme.
Curfew at 8.00 for kids under 16, 9.00 for u-18s.
A "Lewesian test" for all DFLs and other incomers. Those who fail not to be given right to remain, and deported to Newhaven, where their London wages would be a boost to the local economy.
A rule similar to the one they have in Corfe Castle re house purchases. You can only buy a house in Corfe if you already live in the area (or possibly village, can't recall) or another Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This stops DFLs and even OFBs (Over From Bournemouths). The reduced number of qualified purchasers would bring down prices and local people might then be able to afford them.

On 16 Apr 2010 at 10:51am Down and Out wrote:
ACT - slight fail on first and fifth points. John Harvey was a DFL.

On 16 Apr 2010 at 11:06am Sherlock wrote:
Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote: 'A rule similar to the one they have in Corfe Castle re house purchases. You can only buy a house in Corfe if you already live in the area (or possibly village, can't recall) or another Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.'

What, to make sure Lewes stays 99 per cent white?

On 16 Apr 2010 at 3:50pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
We've been down this road before haven't we?
Nobody has the right to buy property anywhere, just because their parents are from a particular place does not mean that they deserve a house in the same town if they cannot afford it.

On 16 Apr 2010 at 7:21pm me wrote:
"What, to make sure Lewes stays 99 per cent white?"
Who is the rascist? the original poster who made no mention or insinuation of race or the above sentance by someone clearly wishing to create a race issue where there was none.

On 16 Apr 2010 at 10:34pm Numpty wrote:
I would allocate the parking attendants 'mini-zones', and make it their responsibility that their zone be litter-free and tidy, with no dodgy parking anywhere. They can rotate zones on a daily basis, but they must ensure that they are kept clean.

On 17 Apr 2010 at 8:18am Sherlock wrote:
Me: So you've never heard of 'indirect discrimination'? What do you think the implication of ' 'A rule similar to the one they have in Corfe Castle re house purchases. You can only buy a house in Corfe if you already live in the area (or possibly village, can't recall) or another Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' actually is?

On 17 Apr 2010 at 8:29am Nippon wrote:
"Ed can do wrote" :- I'd also like to see some element of child benefit paid in food tokens redeemable only for healthy food, thereby hopefully reducing the instances of families with two unemployed parents, massive tvs, games consoles, designer clothes and five, massively fat kids.

You must know my next door neighbours Ed. What a delightful family of scrounging cheating a**e wipes they are.

On 17 Apr 2010 at 8:51am Neighbour wrote:
If you've got neighbours like that Nippon you must live in a pretty scummy area so what does thgat say about you?

On 17 Apr 2010 at 9:21am Nippon wrote:
Just the one dodgy neighbour, the area i live in is quite ok thank you very much. I do believe the saying is " a weed in among a bed of flowers"

From your attitude neighbour, i can only guess that you are the scum neighbour or you just condone this type of thing.

On 17 Apr 2010 at 11:52am MC wrote:
What's your address?

On 17 Apr 2010 at 4:20pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Yes, D&O, JH was, but that was before they arrived here in droves filling the town with bloody hobby shops and enormous buggies with tractor tyres on the wheels!

On 17 Apr 2010 at 7:19pm Me wrote:
where was the mention of skin colour? or race? you were the poster putting that into the argument, no-one else.

On 18 Apr 2010 at 4:50pm Sherlock wrote:
Me: Yes - it's called pointing to the elephant in the room. Restricting the sale of property is a predominantly white area to people already living in a predominantly white area has the effect of making it difficult if not impossible for people who are not white to move into the area. That's generally known as segregation.

On 18 Apr 2010 at 7:34pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
We could have an exemption for people from minority ethnic groups. It'd be fine by me.
I wonder how they get away with it it in Corfe?

On 18 Apr 2010 at 8:10pm Sherlock wrote:
I hope you don't think I was having a go at you ACT. I always enjoy your posts.

On 18 Apr 2010 at 9:00pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Can we give the dfl thing a rest ? eg ACT's "A "Lewesian test" for all DFLs and other incomers. Those who fail not to be given right to remain, and deported to Newhaven, where their London wages would be a boost to the local economy. " I seem to remember ACT that you are also an incomer.....

On 19 Apr 2010 at 11:58am Down and Out wrote:
Quite right BB. I overheard a conversation on the weekend between a bunch of Malling mums, very much 'Lewesian' born and bred, arranging to meet in Wickle at some point. They're not allowed in there! They're not DFL!
Honestly, most of this artificial divide blather exists only in people's (small)minds. In fact, I think that nearly all the people I know here who live in £800k+ houses were born here and went to Priory.

On 19 Apr 2010 at 12:23pm Happy Shopper wrote:
I don't agree with the Corfe Castle idea, I think Lewes should embrace anyone who is prepared to embrace it, whoever they are and wherever they are from. Meanwhile, Sherlock, what on earth are you talking about ? It is no more segregation against non-whites than it is against non-French, non-American, non-Tory voters, or non-anything else that is not a majority in the town. Why do you have to try and make a racial issue out of something that clearly isn't ? The only suggestion that has been made which could be considered racially prejudiced is granting an exemption to ethnic minorities. Why would that be any more acceptable in your pc world ?
Sorry if this post (or similar) appears twice - the first one disappeared!

On 19 Apr 2010 at 10:57pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Personally people's ethnic, racial or national or local identity is completely unimportant to me. I was really surprised to see such an artifcial and nasty divisive tone on the Lewes forum when I first started contributing - didn't seem in keeping with the town and its history at all. Such a shame that people keep going on about it and ascribing such stupid stereotypes to being a DFL. I don't like Chelsea tractors, am irritated by braying Yummy Mummy's and don't understand string weavers, but I don't believe that they all come from London (DER) and anyone who does is pretty stupid or narrow minded, or both.

And the argument about second homers ruining country towns is bollox as well - sometimes they are the only ones sustaining it after its old industry has died. You don't see locals turning down the inflated offers on their houses in quaint villages, why would they ? I'm also sure there are plenty of local towns that would welcome an influx of 'London' money to revive their fortunes.

Anyway - for the Lewes manifesto -
+ a warm welcome to all who wish to live here and contribute to and enhance the life of the town without harming or abusing or exploiting anyone else +

On 20 Apr 2010 at 5:25pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think the second home problem is a huge issue in some areas. Maybe not here, because we have a demographically mixed town with plenty of local work and commuters, but a lot of smaller places further afield suffer.
There are villages where barely 10% of the properties have full-time residents. What a huge waste of housing stock that is! They are dead in winter, and areas like some Cornwall districts and parts of Norfolk and Suffolk where there there are a lot of second homes lose out in government funding because their full-time population is small. There are villages where the RNLI have contemplated buying properties to rent to lifeboatmen, because there aren't enough people living near lifeboat stations to keep the boats manned.
I sometimes think no-one should be allowed to own a second home while there are people waiting for housing. Although that would make it very difficult to rent a cottage for your hols!

On 20 Apr 2010 at 11:38pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Yes, without all those holiday cottages Cornwall would have died a death long ago. And there would not now be the resurgence in the local food industries without rick stein and his ilk. Lets face it, Cornwalls fishing is b+ggered, so is the tin minining and tourism is their biggest growth industries. It wouldn't have happened without Betjeman, although personaly I hate the braying hordes of wah wahs around north Cornwall.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

So today Iím on rest day and tomorrow, but my thought is the cost of those bangers could be put to better use by donating the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare