Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Gardeners

On 13 Oct 2016 at 11:18pm Tallulah's mate wrote:
Is this pub the pit of despair? Even Marcus has left.
On 13 Oct 2016 at 11:31pm Yes wrote:
Fat old men bigging themselves up. Very sad indeed
On 13 Oct 2016 at 11:40pm Cliffe shirt wrote:
We've all gone to the Dorset. except the beardie boys
On 14 Oct 2016 at 1:37am Local wrote:
Biggest and saddest clique in town.
On 14 Oct 2016 at 7:09am Howard wrote:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
On 14 Oct 2016 at 11:35am Alsoleft wrote:
Probably that unhinged blond drunk that never shuts up, always in there. Can be heard from bills.
On 14 Oct 2016 at 12:15pm Pedro wrote:
Seems a bit of an old mans pub. I guess they don't stock the finest range of non-alcoholic beer either.

I get why people are suggesting its a bit of a pit of despair. Harsh, but possibly quite accurate! So see you all tonight at 8pm for a becks blue?
On 14 Oct 2016 at 12:40pm Jonny wrote:
Beats sitting at home with a bottle of scotch, wine, a pack of pills, an eighth, etc. though eh?
People in glass houses etc.
On 14 Oct 2016 at 2:49pm The Greek wrote:
Just wait til badge night!
On 14 Oct 2016 at 2:51pm Pedro wrote:
@ jonny - no, it just doesn't....at all!! I'd much prefer to spend a night at home with friends/girlfriend with an eighth of weed, watching films, listening to music, playing games, takeaway, snacks etc, than sitting in a grumpy old man pub drinking stale ale, crusty pork scratchings and moaning about "DFL's"! No question about it.

Although to be fair 1/8th is absolutely loads. 1 gram is easily sufficient with a vapouriser for a pleasurable and euphoric evening for a small group. (an 1/8th is 3.5g just for those not in the know).
On 14 Oct 2016 at 3:07pm Geoffrey Paddle wrote:
Was the best pub in Lewes until Mr Eccles crapped himself at the bar over 10 years ago. Shame.
On 14 Oct 2016 at 3:12pm Sarah wrote:
Where exactly is the Gardeners?
On 14 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm Monty wrote:
Sarah: Behind the potting shed
On 14 Oct 2016 at 4:34pm bing wrote:
You wouldn't like it Sarah lots of old little ladies.
On 14 Oct 2016 at 5:05pm Tipex wrote:
Last of the old school boozers. The natives are friendly once you get to know them. It's less Cliffe focused now too which can only be a good thing.
On 14 Oct 2016 at 5:48pm Sarah wrote:
I presume it is in Cliffe High Street? I really don't know my Kings Arms from Wetherspoons.
On 14 Oct 2016 at 5:59pm The Queens Legs wrote:
What's the opening time?
On 14 Oct 2016 at 8:19pm Another B and B lady wrote:
What a load of old crap you lot speak. The Gardeners is a great real ale pub. If you are under 30 and drink lager, it ain't the place for you. As to old men - and In this case women - we like it, we have liked it for years and so do our kids, who incidentally, were born and bred
In Lewes and have come back to live in Lewes and would be classed by you lot of boring Lewes Born and bred as dfls.
Get over yourselves and find another pub to drink in or stay at home and smoke. We couldn't care less. It might also have passed you by that the current landlord is all of 30 something ....

On 14 Oct 2016 at 8:57pm Sarah wrote:
Surely all ale is real. Isn't it?
On 14 Oct 2016 at 10:20pm Real aler wrote:
There is real ale and craft ale. And as a matter of fact a lot of respectable young people go to the Gardeners and I can safely say that they are the nicest bunch of people I have ever met!
On 14 Oct 2016 at 10:58pm Taff wrote:
Current landlord! Hmmmmmmmm?
On 15 Oct 2016 at 12:18am Real aler wrote:
No actually but he is a good friend of mine since before he ran the place (and made it a lot better!)
On 15 Oct 2016 at 4:20pm Sussex Jim wrote:
The Gardeners, along with the Brewers, is one of the best two pubs in Lewes. They have both been the local (Brighton and south downs) CAMRA pub of the year recently.
It is a great no-nonsense pub to visit for a pint of real ale or cider, at probably the cheapest prices in town. Far from being cliquey, visitors can usually enjoy an informative conversation with the locals. Until recently, one could still get a pie and pint for a fiver. That's the only down side: they do excellent snacks from local butchers- but when their gone, their gone!
On 15 Oct 2016 at 6:11pm Taff wrote:
Sid & Nan.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 7:13am Lewesian wrote:
Can't understand why we need to slag pubs off in this town. Surely that's the beauty of Lewes, if you don't like a certain pub, there's plenty more to chose from, just pick another one and let those who like the Gardeners enjoy it.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 12:37pm huw wrote:
Just a little point for Sussex Jim.
The Gardeners & Brewers are fantastic places and, yes, they are cheaper than most.
They are also free houses which means that they can buy their beers at about 40-50% less than a tied house can.
The tied houses may be more expensive but spare a thought for the poor landlords who make a lot less on their more expensive pint.
On 16 Oct 2016 at 10:02pm Charlie Austin wrote:
Huw, I went in your pub today hoping to see the Saints. Instead there was motorbike racing on tv and a pool room full of 12 - 14 year olds. It doesn't matter what the price of your beer is. You won't sell many at this rate.
On 17 Oct 2016 at 9:38am huw wrote:
Charlie, we have numerous TVs and should have been able to show the Saints game. Did you ask for it to go on one of the TVs?
As for the kids, they were from Bridge View FC, who we try to support throughout the year, and were having their annual dinner. It's not a weekly occurrence.

On 21 Oct 2016 at 7:28pm Sir Bufton Bufton-Bufton wrote:
Don't listen to them, it's the finest gay bar in the country.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Swan penny 123:132
The Swan penny

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington