Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Fox, Southerham,

On 25 Jul 2011 at 9:09pm Rod Light wrote:
Does anybody remember this place, it was opposite the old cement works? I lived here when I was about 18 / 19 years old, have been trying to track down any information about it, and any pictures would be fantastic.

On 25 Jul 2011 at 9:21pm queequeg wrote:
I remember it. It was the first port of call for any serious attempt to have a drink in every licensed house in Lewes. Never known any attempt at such a pub crawl to succeed in those days, now you'd be challenged to get properly drunk in the attempt.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 7:44am Peter Pan wrote:
Yes remember it well 1950s right on the left hand bend going out of town The Cement Works railway line crossed the road just before it

On 26 Jul 2011 at 9:08am giveitarest wrote:
So, as someone who hasn't been here quite that long (AFB), the cement works was where the industrial estate is now? Did the cement works go when the tunnel and the A27 were built, or before then?

On 26 Jul 2011 at 9:23am Local Know All wrote:
The cement works closed around about 1982, the tunnel opened in 1980, the by-pass (A27) opened in 1978.
Ans yes, the cement works was where the industrial estate is (Cliffe Industrial Estate?)

On 26 Jul 2011 at 12:28pm Rod Light wrote:
Eastwood Cement Works at Southerham had a darts team that after the cement works sociol club closed down played I think at the Swan public house in Southover. I understand that on ocasions when the team was a man short Charlie Watts of Rolling Stones fame acted as stand in for the team as he lived in the big house on the corner opposite the pub. Does anyone know if this is true? I met him on several ocasions walking his dog in the evening down to the rugby club and back, you would never have guesed he was a rock and roll star, often dressed in a flat cap, long over coat and wellies. Are there any old photographs of the Fox or the old toll house which was virtually next door.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 3:08pm bastian wrote:
I have seen a picture but I can't remember if it was in a book or one of Reeves pictures they showed last year at one of their talks.Oddly there is a garden down near where the pub was on the river side,hidden away but someone used to tend it,i remember finding it when our kids were little and we used to go fossilling in the pit near the ouse.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 3:21pm Pub Lover wrote:
This is a good site for pubs that are no longer with us

On 26 Jul 2011 at 3:27pm Pub Lover wrote:
I don't think the link worked - try this

Check it out here »

On 26 Jul 2011 at 4:41pm Rod Light wrote:
Thank you Pub Lover, we have looked on this site beofre , it is a good site, it lists the pub but there are no pictures.
It is really weird because we have looked on and off for years, lots of people have heard of it, but no pictures!!!! If anyone has nay pictures we would be very grateful. There must be some somewhere, my mother used to fill the garden with flowers and passer bys would stop and take photographs of the garden because it was so beautiful.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 4:47pm Peter Pan wrote:
The Stones spent a lot of time there In fact I think Marion Faithfull lived there for some time,may have even been the venue for the Police raid and the Mars Bar episode When they moved in they painted all the doors and widows and out side wood bright Purple !! Bet that gave the planning Officer a heart attack

On 26 Jul 2011 at 7:31pm bastian wrote:
Rod, I have found one but I haven't got a scanner cos it broke,however there is a picture in volume 2 ofBill Younges book "Lewes then and now" page 92, with the toll house next to it and of course, the accompanying picture of the ugly flyover.(mind you,rather the A27 than lorries passing each other in south st en route to Dieppe) There is a copy of this book in the library.

On 26 Jul 2011 at 7:48pm Rod Light wrote:
Many thanks bastian, will follow that up with a visit to the library.

On 27 Jul 2011 at 5:50pm bastian wrote:
sorry i couldn't scan it, but the book can be easliy picked up at the bootsale for a few quid

On 28 Sep 2018 at 1:13pm Leanne Penfold Dawes wrote:
Hey Rod l have a pic of the Fox if you read this let me know l will upload. I would say it was before your time around 1930ís if interested.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Swan penny 112:132
Swan penny

I love that. "We don't actually need another leisure path". We are not exactly overwhelmed with leisure paths suitable for... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell