Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Depot

On 7 May 2017 at 10:21pm Amy wrote:
A tad disappointed that the new cinema will not be screening many movies on the first run! Probably have to wait a few months for the blockbusters.
On 7 May 2017 at 10:35pm Hooky wrote:
Did you seriously expect a regular cinema? At that size? In Lewes? Good heavens.
On 7 May 2017 at 10:39pm Lewes Voter 3 wrote:
Get them on download. They re all the latest just the same as in the pictures and free. A mate on Neville he sells boxes for it. Picture stops sometimes but it's nice at home with the boys and a few tins.
On 8 May 2017 at 12:14am square eyes wrote:
Don't diss The Depot before they've got started. Let's give them a chance to settle in
On 8 May 2017 at 9:55am Ed Can Do wrote:
It'll be La Dolce Vita playing every half hour with occasional breaks for Transition Town advertorials and documentaries about the plight of Himalayan Yak farmers.
On 8 May 2017 at 9:58am Kinja wrote:
As I said right at the start of this it won't be a cinema that shows mainstream films it will show poncy arty farty films and Bollywood crap. I have a ticket for uckfield so will carry on going there won't even bother with it
On 8 May 2017 at 11:37am A Person wrote:
Jolly good: off you go then.

The Depot is an independent cinema. That means it's not going to be told by the big distributors what to show which effectively kills off anything else. It doesn't mean that the blockbusters won't be shown, but just not on first release. It does mean that other equally interesting and well-made films - possibly more interesting and well-made films - will see the light of day. And actually, with Brighton and Uckfield literally just up the road, what is the point of doing the same as everyone else?
But don't let me stop you knocking something new and exciting just because it doesn't fit with your narrow preferences, especially since the programme hasn't even been announced yet...
On 8 May 2017 at 12:49pm Deja Vu wrote:
I can honestly say the best cinema I've ever been to is "Curzon Victoria" (Victoria station).
A good example that a tiny independent cinema (part of a small chain) can't just compete with the big boys, it can show them how things should be done.
Absolute wasted opportunity if they don't have some blockbusters on occasions, however from what I have seen I don't hold out much hope.
It seems like it'll be a mix of local and classic films, documentaries, guest speakers and workshops.
It's lucky it's part funded by donations, I really can't see myself ever going if they don't have "real" films.
On 8 May 2017 at 1:33pm Silver screen wrote:
It's great to have an independent cinema in Lewes which won't churn out the crap which most high street cinema chains do. If you can't get enough till the next showing then watch a film on Netflix or something.
On 8 May 2017 at 1:34pm Hooky wrote:
Take a look at the opening programme, and see if you recognise anything. At all. You will quickly decide whether it's a cinema for you or not. I feel certain there will be enough punters in Lewes for it to do well enough.
On 8 May 2017 at 1:40pm Deja Vu wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I don't hope it fails if the don't have my sort of films...
The best cinema experience I have had was a tiny screen (40-50 seats).
I just think it's a shame if a Cinema opens and they don't show the latest films, nothing wrong with trying to appeal to the whole of Lewes, not just the select few?
On 8 May 2017 at 1:43pm Infinitygirl wrote:
Curzon Victoria, independent???!!! Get real. It's a huge multi million operation.
Why are people writing it off when we haven't even seen the programme yet? Depressing. Would everyone just prefer an Odeon?!
On 8 May 2017 at 2:13pm The Greek wrote:
Odeon wouldn't be a bad idea.
On 8 May 2017 at 2:22pm Deja Vu wrote:
@InfinityGirl, don't let the facts get in the way of your outburst...
Yes that huge multimillion pound 12 cinema chain...
On 8 May 2017 at 3:03pm Fatty Briggs wrote:
I'm sure they'll be screening blockbusters but just not as soon as they're released due to the huge costs the distributors charge. I've been on a couple of tours of the site and it's really impressive. The Picture House Uckfield, has got a 100 years worth of experience so lets wait and see and give it a chance.
On 8 May 2017 at 4:24pm Horseman7 wrote:
Latest releases, later.
On 8 May 2017 at 4:43pm Fatty Arbuckle wrote:
Hope they've got seats for us, Briggsy.
On 8 May 2017 at 6:35pm Cinemagoer wrote:
The price of Curzon Victoria tickets is normally 18. Quite a bit more expensive than Depot tickets I think...
On 8 May 2017 at 8:26pm Thomas Jerome Newton wrote:
Where can I find the opening programme? I can't see it on their website or facebook page
On 8 May 2017 at 8:40pm Viewer wrote:
The Uckfield Cinema (small independent) manages to show 'mainstream' films along with other special showings. I'd be very happy if the Depot had fewer mainstream films but if it doesn't have any then it will be a big disappointment.
On 8 May 2017 at 9:06pm Thomas Jerome Newton wrote:
The Uckfield Cinema is a part of PictureHouse, and part of Cineworld - ie very far from small or independent.
They have as much buying power as is possible
But until we actually see a programme from the Depot I'm not sure what people are complaining about exactly.
On 8 May 2017 at 10:22pm Hooky wrote:
In Viva Lewes

On 8 May 2017 at 10:33pm Fatty Briggs wrote:
Thomas Jerome Newton: The Picture House Uckfield is an independent cinema and is not affiliated with the Picturehouse Group.
On 8 May 2017 at 11:16pm Barry Norman wrote:
It's in Lewes and thats enough to ensure it will be cr@p.

On 9 May 2017 at 6:30am Thomas Jerome Newton wrote:
Fatty - fair play, I didn't know that. My own fault for assuming because of the name
On 9 May 2017 at 8:13am Matinee idle wrote:
Fair enough Thomas. The picture house has always shown mainstream films, when I lived in Uckfield as a kid I remember the posters outside. "The pit and the pendulum" and the "James Bond " films made me wish I was older.
On 9 May 2017 at 9:21am dave wrote:
I'm looking forward to it opening, hopefully it will broaden my horizons and my mind.
I'm sure they will have mainstream films but its the less obvious ones I'm interested in. You never know maybe the hero wont win.
The Olive Tree is a great film btw.
On 10 May 2017 at 7:21pm Kevin Markwick wrote:
As a fellow indie I wish The Depot the best of luck. May I also state for the record we're absolutley nothing to do with Cineworld or Picturehouse. Fiercely independent for the last 101 years.
On 11 May 2017 at 8:23am Fatty Briggs wrote:
Hear! Hear! Kevin. And a fine job you do too.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes antiquities 89 54:132
Lewes antiquities 89

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington