Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Crown

On 4 Apr 2018 at 1:26pm Curious wrote:
I see The Crown is showing as sold on Fleurets.. what's the gossip then?
On 4 Apr 2018 at 1:30pm Bi Curious wrote:
I'm not sure one way or the other
On 4 Apr 2018 at 2:51pm Orbnsceptre wrote:
Last week's Sussex Express said that planning permission to convert it to 13 "dwellings" has been submitted.
On 4 Apr 2018 at 4:26pm Crown Jewels wrote:
13 room B+B more like
On 4 Apr 2018 at 6:39pm len wrote:
I do hope this doesn't go through. The Crown is a beautiful building and should be retained as a 'public building'. The site is extensive including the shadow pub at the back that servants and carriage staff used. The conservatory is wonderful. We need a flourishing town centre not one slowly stifled by residential blight.
On 4 Apr 2018 at 7:07pm King wrote:
No planning application, just pre-application advice sought. You can see the plans and the council's informal advice on the south downs planning website:
"In summary, the current proposal to convert the building to 13 residential units is unacceptable and would not
be supported. It may be that in view of the history of the site and the state of the building, that some residential
units within a redevelopment may be necessary to bring the building back into use. Provided there is clear
evidence to support the loss of the hotel (a viability assessment will be required), some form of commercial use
should be provided on the ground floor of the building."
On 4 Apr 2018 at 8:05pm Drinker wrote:
With its location it could be thriving under the right management
On 4 Apr 2018 at 10:39pm A Person wrote:
I understand that as a listed building it will be ruinously expensive to bring up to any kind of standard. It's clearly in a terrible state. I hope it can remain as a public building, but it's going to need someone with very deep pockets and a taste for long battles with the planners.
On 6 Apr 2018 at 1:44pm Sceptical local wrote:
What rules would apply if it were to suffer serious fire damage or vandalism - to the point of it becoming an unsafe structure?
Would it have to be rebuilt in its current interior layout, or just with a reproduction of the current exteriors front and rear?
It would be good to see it as a public building, but what purpose might it serve? What does the town centre need, that might actually be frequented often enough to make public use viable (apart from a Post Office)?
Conversion into 'affordable' properties would be great, but even so-called 'affordable' properties would probably be beyond the reach of most local first-time buyers, or local tenants, unless they are fortunate enough to be earning well above the minimum wage - which probably rules out many people who work in retail or hospitality roles.
If it is turned into residences, I hope they allow sufficient parking spaces for the additional residents' vehicles, or will we just see even more cars fighting for town centre parking spaces overnight and at weekends?
I know the Greens etc will say residents should be encouraged to use public transport, or cycle etc, but realistically, most people will probably want to retain access to a car of their own unless they can guarantee they will always be able to use public transport, or have access to a 'Car club' car, for every journey they will ever want or need to make.
Unlike London, where most activities and destinations are easily accessible by tube or frequent bus services, Lewes only has limited public transport network, and limited local leisure facilities.
On 6 Apr 2018 at 10:54pm Local drinker v wrote:
Most of the new housing in the town does not have parking. 25 houses and flats behind the Library will not have designated parking for everyone. Councils are trying hard not to create more parking. In a few years private cars will be obsolete. You will order up the appropriate electrical vehicle to take you from a to b and back. Think Uber. Private cars will be gone in less than 20 years except for the very rich for recreation on special roads. We donít need more Town centre parking. I canít remember how much residents parking there will be in the NSQ but it is nothing like one per household.
On 6 Apr 2018 at 11:09pm Local drinker v wrote:
Why the thumbs down? Only stating facts. There are never parking spaces for all new town centre builds: there simply isnít the space. Depot has no parking and it hasnít turned out to be the horrendous problem prophesied when it was being built. Many streets in Lewes already contravene national pollution standards. There should be many fewer patrol/diesels in Lewes. No doubt lots of thumbs down for this post too.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Moving On parade 93:132
Moving On parade

Get a cat? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde