Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

The Crown

On 10 Jul 2017 at 10:47pm little richard wrote:
It seems everyone has to be out of the Crown on Thursday as it has been sold to Wetherspoons Don't think it made the asking price. I suppose that will ruffle a few die hards who would prefer to see empty shops rather than a successful business coming into the town. Pretty much like the premier inn people will say Lewes isn't the type of town for this pub chain.Well chew on it suckers they're coming.
On 10 Jul 2017 at 10:56pm Mr Spoon wrote:
Yes and all you little pubs will be gone soon cos us at spoons gonna take all your money away,our cheap good meals and cheap drink gonna make a big difference to this town , one to rule them all
On 11 Jul 2017 at 12:38am t randall wrote:
harvey's have been robbing us for years
On 11 Jul 2017 at 5:59am And thats a Fact wrote:
Witherspoons, At least they cannot be described as up market, but from the comments on here it seems that no one has apparently been in one of there down market dives, still it will provide an early morning gathering place for those who have moved from poncing on the streets of Brighton to Ponce on the streets of Lewes And thats a Fact
On 11 Jul 2017 at 6:25am Jester wrote:
That's an opinion. A fact would be along the lines of you sir, are a tw8t!
On 11 Jul 2017 at 7:39am Dfl wrote:
Will it be an artisan version
On 11 Jul 2017 at 8:34am Sussex drinker wrote:
Wetherspoons provide food and drink at affordable prices for ordinary working people. The food is basic, but of reasonable quality. And with many meals a drink comes free. I have never experienced a bad meal; or encountered the sort of undesirable customer implied above.
The only down side is the low level of staff, resulting in delays in ordering food and drink at the bar.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 9:36am Offham Rascal wrote:
I've only ever been into The Crown on a couple of occasions and I would think a well run Witherspoons would be a distinct improvement. They do a huge range of bitters / ales for those that like that kind of thing and the food is okay though obviously not fine-dining.
Why shouldn't Witherspoons have its place - I would welcome more choice. I think we are lucky to have some great pubs in Lewes but if they are concerned about the competition then do what any other business would have to do. Offer better service, food and drink. Improve!
On 11 Jul 2017 at 9:55am The Greek wrote:
Big fan of Wetherspoons, but could be slightly worrying for some of the quieter pubs in Lewes. Closing a pub is always a shame.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 9:57am The Greek wrote:
Still showing up for sale on Fleurets.. "offers invited"

Check it out here »
On 11 Jul 2017 at 11:44am Pedro wrote:
I'm sure "Jennifer" would welcome a weatherspoons pub opening in Lewes. "She" would be frequenting it regularly, and working out how it impacts the local property prices and demographics.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 12:51pm Clifford wrote:
I'm glad to hear it. All we need now is a Poundland and Lewes will have finally entered the 21st century.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 1:49pm Sam wrote:
Offham rascal,I think you may have missed the point there is no way pubs that are tied to pub company's (90%) in Lewes can compete with the prices weatherspoons can offer. They all have to pay the middle man and cannot go direct to the brewery. Weathersponns will kill most of them off, it would be a tragedy and change the entire nature of Lewes.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 2:00pm Nature wrote:
Not that it's changed much since 1970
On 11 Jul 2017 at 2:11pm The Lion king wrote:
Wetherspoons ????? what here in lewes ?????
Regards
DD
On 11 Jul 2017 at 2:20pm Offham Rascal wrote:
@Sam, I get where you're coming from but (and I may be alone in this respect) that I don't just go to wherever is cheapest, do you? But then I take your point and I think that whichever pubs the 'budget-drinkers' are frequenting might well lose trade to the vendors of the cheapest ale.
I think painting this as a tragedy that will change the face of the town forever is being overly dramatic. A Witherspoons replacing the Crown in my view is a good thing. Will I drink in there, probably not because there are much nicer pubs in my view where I'll be happy to buy a pint at full-price.
Witherspoons will not kill off 'most' of the other pubs in Lewes, what tripe @Sam!
On 11 Jul 2017 at 2:48pm Sam wrote:
Offham rascal, thank you for sort of considering my points, however the end of your message is a little harsh. I am afraid it is not "tripe", with local pubs recently seeing a raise in Council tax of over 200% in some cases, it could well be the final nail in the coffin. However the Crown will be fine as there Council tax will not be raised for the next 5 years as it has been performing badly since the last review. I am Just saying remember to support your lovely local and not suggest they need to improve to compete with large millionaire chains like Weatherspoons, when with many issues this is beyond their control.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 3:55pm bobobob wrote:
Nothing wrong with spoonies and affordable chain shops.

My question is why we are all having to shop at pound shops and go to budget chains? Have we stopped working? No.

Why is it mainstream for us to be happy that there are now bottom end shops etc that mean our money stretches to afford basics and cheap entertainment? That's the 21st century is it Clifford? Welcome everyone to the age where we're meant to be happy when we can't afford things anymore.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 4:24pm Offham Rascal wrote:
Apologies Sam I didn't realise you were that sensitive, but I don't agree with you that one Wetherspoons will cause 'most of them' to close. I know rates and council tax is high and that pubs are constantly squeezed by their breweries and being a real pub-person I don't think it's fair or like to see them close.
However having the Crown reopen as a Wetherspoons will not cause 'most of' the pubs in Lewes to close. Sorry Sam, don't take it heart!
On 11 Jul 2017 at 5:34pm Toenail wrote:
Where is the proof it's been sold to Weathersppons?
On 11 Jul 2017 at 6:00pm Redballs wrote:
Be good to see a spoons. Up till now Lewes has been a Harvey's Monopoly, not surprising as its good beer, but they have been knocking the Backside out of it.
A pint of Tom Paine at 4,40 perhaps those Halcyon days are over Scottish one!
You will have to raise your game and lower prices. I call that a win.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 6:44pm The Lion King wrote:
It has not been sold it is under offer and proceeding through legal stages
It wont be a wetherspoons
DD
On 11 Jul 2017 at 6:45pm huw wrote:
Although it looks more and more likely to go to Weatherspoons, the Crown hasn't yet been sold.
Enterprise (the owners of the Crown, Lansdown, Elephant and Castle & Kings Head) are looking to gain vacant possession on Thursday which, in my opinion, probably means that they have a buyer lined up. They have said to me that they do not yet have a buyer and some in the company are concerned at selling to a competitor but, in the end, Weatherspoons are probably waving around more cash than the other 2.
The issue with Weatherspoons is that they can sell their drinks cheaper than most tied pubs can buy it in (the Snowdrop, Brewers Arms and Gardeners are the only non-tied pubs in town) which may tempt many in from their usual haunts, which, combined with increased overheads, could lead to pub closures.
Yes, Harveys is more expensive to buy compared to many other beers but a unit on an industrial estate does not require the kind of maintenance Harveys has to put in to their listed premises and they do not benefit from the duty relief available to other, smaller brewers.
In the interest of full disclosure I am worried about a 'Spoons moving into town for the effect it could have on my business but I think it will hit others harder.
It will be good to see the building saved but will it be at the cost of other local businesses and will the building works be of sufficient standard?
Would people honestly prefer to see it turned into a new block of flats?
On 11 Jul 2017 at 7:12pm David wrote:
I often use a Spoons in Southampton and it is very good. They play down the brand and call it The Giggling Pig or some such. Good beer, fast service and plain food at ridiculously low prices. You can order on your phone as you sit down. It will be stiff competition for other eateries in Lewes.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 8:20pm Redballs wrote:
Huw, I hear what your saying and I do sympathise with you. You have your own USP which should see you clearly bypassing other Business models like Spoons.
But a Cheap beer and cheap food outlet in Lewes is desperately needed to rebalance our Towns demographics.
After all not everyone can afford 5 for Craft beer and triple cooked chips. It is the consumer who will ultimately chose but it could be a game changer and Harvey's because of it's Monopoly has in my opinion has more to loose than anyone.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 8:24pm Drink aware wrote:
Its only going to kill off your Local, if you all stop drinking at your Local and become a regular of Weatherspoons, if that is who the new owner is. But if The Crowns present owner also own 4 pubs in Lewes why would they sell to someone who is going kill off their own pubs.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 8:29pm dj wrote:
By the correspondence on the forum threads I deduce the buyer is Dave Day aka The Lion King, a man so dripping in gold he makes Mr T look positively shy and reserved.
On 11 Jul 2017 at 9:22pm B A Baruckass wrote:
Crazy Fools
On 11 Jul 2017 at 9:44pm @ BA Baruckas wrote:
Get on my plane
On 11 Jul 2017 at 10:23pm Simba wrote:
Classy or trashy?

On 12 Jul 2017 at 12:43am The Greek wrote:
I'm still amazed that it's owned by a pubco and has been left to get into the state it has...
On 12 Jul 2017 at 8:04am huw wrote:
Two points here:
How did a pub co owned pub get in the state it's in? Karen had a fully repairing lease which obliged her (like myself) to conduct all repairs to the building inside and out. The Crown needed work before Karen got in and, unfortunately, the scale of work required was beyond the turn over of the hotel. This meant that it slowly deteriorated. Enterprise, I suppose, hoped that Karen would be able to find the money somewhere and waited whilst the fabric of the building slowly rotted. Legal wrangles would have meant they couldn't just kick her out and they would have still held out some help that there was a magic money tree that she could have plucked cash from to throw at their building. In the end, Enterprise behaved well towards Karen but not after years of not helping out their tenant and allowing a business to fail and a beautiful building to fall to wrack and ruin.
As for the stupidity of selling to a chain that will effect their other 3 sites in town, they don't care. Weatherspoons are offering the most money and, as a company wracked with debt, Enterprise need cash now. Also, if one of their pub's goes under they keep the deposit and put someone else in and claim their (much higher now) deposit and other fees to enter into the tenancy. Also, they are changing their business model and want rid of any old style lease or tenancy in favour of their new "managed" model. If someone goes bust they don't have to go through the legal rigmarole of removing them.
As for Lewes needing somewhere cheap to drink and eat there are a number of pubs that do not charge through the nose for food or drink but Weatherspoons is the pub equivalent of Amazon and could easily push a number of overstretched pubs to the brink. The pub cos really want to realise the value of their estates and a failing pub can easily become a profitable block of flats and then we'll be left with little of the choice that makes Lewes such a great town.
Hopefully all of this won't come to happen. Maybe it won't be a Spoons. Maybe a Weatherspoons hotel treats the bar as a small afterthought and it won't have the impact. Let's wait and see.
On 12 Jul 2017 at 10:32am Colonial Marine wrote:
I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure...
On 12 Jul 2017 at 12:08pm Meic wrote:
One way to protect our pubs from the predatory pubcos would be to get them registered as assets of community value. I doubt we could do that with the Crown, but many of the other Lewes pubs, yes.
Incidentally, Harveys do not have a monopoly. It's just that many people inLewes prefer to drink it. Looking at the pubs inthe town which have closed since I moved here in 1p79 - the Windmill, the Fruiterer's, the Pewter Port/Meridian, the Prince of Wales all have in common the fact that they were not alloed to serve Harvey's. Other pubs in the same condition - the former Beards estate that Greene King contol - the Lamb, the Black Horse, the King's Head - have all changed hands very frequently.
On 12 Jul 2017 at 2:27pm Don't ya just love wrote:
the British leasehold system and the landlord tenants, or is it tenant landlords in the pubs.
On 16 Jul 2017 at 5:46pm Kassie wrote:
Huw I don't think a weatherspoons would have any effect on the eley and the landown. You both have your own customers that won't change.
I have given up for personal reasons. I haven't been their for nearly two years. It was always the b and b side kept the Crown going. I am sad to leave. I'd I buy another pub it Will be freehold. Tried to buy the Crown with a partner a couple of years ago. It wasn't for sale

1 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes religion 77:132
Lewes religion

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell