Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

That petrol thread

On 31 Mar 2012 at 10:10pm Normal adult wrote:
My take is this:
The advice was to keep your tank nearer full than empty, in case supplies ran low at a time when you needed to make a journey or two. If you knew that you would be needing to travel a lot, then a jerry-can in the garage might be worth considering too.
As far as I know, it is not illegal to keep a can of petrol in your car, or in your garage, or in your shed - as many people always do for filling up their lawn mowers, etc.
Some cretin decided to pour petrol between containers in their kitchen, when their cooker was turned on. It's just a shame that they didn't go the whole hog and relieve the country of herself; one less idiot.
For a self-professed 'intelligent adult' on here to try to blame that advice for the moronic actions of a Darwin Awards candidate is frankly beyond belief. Petty politicking at its worse. How was the advice dangerous? And how was it illegal?

On 1 Apr 2012 at 8:26am DFL wrote:
How do you justify calling yourself "normal adult" ? "Angry Adult" would be more appropriate, don't you think ?

On 1 Apr 2012 at 1:24pm Lord_Landport wrote:
Esso in Lewes has run out of fuel

On 1 Apr 2012 at 6:02pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
I just filled up at the Texaco on the A27 just before the roundabout and it was completely empty.

On 1 Apr 2012 at 6:24pm annie wrote:
Why so surprised, only problem is greedy people causing a shortage, god forbid if there were ever a shortage of food. Probably cause a civil war, people in general are very selfish and greedy.

On 1 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Having a bad night there Annie?

On 1 Apr 2012 at 10:14pm Annie wrote:
No not having a bad night! Just my opinion, I work in health care and look after very vulnerable people, I use my own car and have to fill up at the pumps like everyone else. No petrol these people do not get nursing care.

On 1 Apr 2012 at 10:42pm Independent Thinker wrote:
Normal adult, the advice wasn't to keep your tank "nearer full than empty", it was initially to fill it up completely, and later to make sure it never drops below two thirds full. They also advised filling up jerry cans to store at home. Which is illegal (they're 20 litres, the largest size can you can legally store petrol in is 10 litres). Leaving aside legality, the FBU and AA strongly advise against storing petrol at home as it's obviously incredibly dangerous. On top of risks of more accidents, I'd be very surprised if we don't see rates of arson go up with so much petrol stored in garden sheds now. It's less clear what the legal situation is for transporting petrol in the boot of your car, but the police have the right to charge you with transporting a hazardous or dangerous load if they want to. And of course we need to keep in mind that this has all been completely unnecessary as a strike may not happen, and if it did we'd have a week's warning first.
On 2 Apr 2012 at 7:49am Angry wrote:
There was nothing wrong with the advice given. It is just the mind numbing stupidity of some people that worries me. Did you hear about the man who was found filling up a car boot full of jam jars with petrol at his local filling station!

On 2 Apr 2012 at 10:46am Normal Adult wrote:
IT - you seem to be risking falling into the same brain-dead category of imbecile that Angry refers too. Maude may have referred to jerry-cans, but as I (along with virtually everyone else in the country) wasn't aware of the technicality re capacity, would've simply bought the petrol can(s) that are readily available in shops and garages. Anyone know the sales increase in jerry-cans last week? Or indeed in legal cans?
Whatever happened to independent thinking and self-responsibility? The facts of life are that there are morons and cretins who will kill themselves one way or another through sheer stupidity. But to bang on about arson rates increasing is surprising, even on here. And obviously I should stop carrying a spare can of petrol in my boot now, after almost 30 years of doing so.

On 2 Apr 2012 at 11:03am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Unfortunately, many people behaved like imbeciles at the thought that there may be a shortage in a week's time, thus making the shortage immediate.
Imo they should impose a minimum purchase of £30 on fuel at such times, to stop these idiots queuing for an hour to buy £3.98's worth of petrol. (Obviously, motorbikes would be exempt from that!)

On 2 Apr 2012 at 11:22am Southover Queen wrote:
I agree, ACT. The advice, whatever the size of receptacle, was absolutely bound to cause panic. Go and fill your tank to the utmost and having done that fill every other container too and store it in the garage* is actively promoting the selfish behaviour everyone's complaining about here. Not content with that suggestion, they were also telling people not to let their tanks drop below 2/3rds full. That's just stupid: of course there were queues and of course petrol stations ran out.

What's particularly idiotic was the fact that there was no strike planned. All that had happened was that a union had polled its members in the first step towards declaring a strike. Any industrial action could not legally have begun for a full seven days after that.

In fact, one might very well think that the Government didn't have the best interests of its citizenry at heart at all. That's certainly what a poll in the Independent on Sunday found: 81% of those questioned believed that the Government was directly to blame. (So it's not just me then...)

*Quite apart from anything else, most people don't have garages: where were they going to be storing all this petrol? In their houses? In the shed? Out in the open?

Check it out here »

On 2 Apr 2012 at 11:38am kettle wrote:
The advice was obviously intended for people who live in a world where one has an outhouse or two on one's land, away from one's house.

On 2 Apr 2012 at 11:42am Southover Queen wrote:
That's right, Kettle.

A new use for the duck house, now that there's no water in the pond anyway....

On 2 Apr 2012 at 11:48am Angry wrote:
Does anyone know how I can convert my motor mower to solar power in order that I can continue to use it safely without the risk of setting fire to myself?

On 2 Apr 2012 at 12:00pm Southover Queen wrote:
Dunno about solar power; how about grass powered? Borrow some sheep.

On 2 Apr 2012 at 1:12pm Leaf wrote:
The only problem there ACT is for people like myself who can sometimes only afford to put a fiver in the car as its all I have and I need to get to work too. A £30 min is ludicrous.

On 2 Apr 2012 at 1:47pm Angry wrote:
Leaf - how long do you make your £5 worth of fuel last?

On 2 Apr 2012 at 2:58pm leaf wrote:
It lasts me enough to get to work and back. Thats the only time I use my car if i can help it.

On 2 Apr 2012 at 3:19pm Angry wrote:
Leaf, assuming the £5 is for a week, £30 would give you 6 weeks motoring. It costs the same in the end.

On 2 Apr 2012 at 6:55pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm tempted to say that if you can get to work and back for a week on £5 of fuel, you should be walking. But I'll restrain myself.

On 2 Apr 2012 at 7:22pm leaf wrote:
yes please do restrain yourself, as I did not say £5 a week, all I'm saying is sometimes after Ive paid all my bills, etc etc I can only afford to put in a fiver to make the next journey into work. There are really people out there that have little choice but to put in a few pounds as and when they can.

On 4 Apr 2012 at 11:25am Independent Thinker wrote:
Normal Adult, Jerry Can sales went up roughly 500%. If you go on Amazon and type in Petrol Cans and sort by popularity the best seller is a 20L Jerry Can (7 of the top 10 are 20L cans). So significant numbers of people went out and bought what Francis Maude suggested they buy. The thing with government advice is that everyone in the country hears it, not just sensible people like you. Most people in this country don't have suitably secure and safe places to store petrol, so where are all these jerry cans full of petrol being stored? And some people, believe it or not, don't realise that petrol fumes can catch fire, not just the liquid itself. Educashun ain't wot it used to be. You may want all of them to die to improve the gene pool. That's one way of looking at it I guess. Seems a bit harsh though...

On 4 Apr 2012 at 8:42pm Angry wrote:
So if the government advised people to jump off a cliff would they? Get real, lets stop this blame culture and accept some personal responsibility.

On 4 Apr 2012 at 11:21pm Normal Adult wrote:
My view is not at all harsh. The country is dramatically over-populated, so losing a significant number of stupid people would do the world of good. And Angry is correct too.

On 5 Apr 2012 at 1:14am Independent Thinker wrote:
Angry, but that's the point. The government essentially advised people to jump off a cliff, and they did. There was no strike. Not even a strike date. Only the possibility that at some point a strike might be called with seven days notice. Maybe. But the government told people to panic and they did, and created a completely unnecessary fuel crises. Are you seriously defending the government's handling of this? Really?

On 5 Apr 2012 at 8:55am Angry wrote:
Absolutely, they played a blinder. I would be extremely surprised if a strike takes place having demonstrated to the union that joe public can put in place its own contingency arrangements. And if people choose to jump off a cliff then let them.

On 10 Apr 2012 at 5:27pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I run a van . I need it to take my tools and materials to where I work- on client's premises. I replenised my fuel tank at Clayhill during the "crisis", at the normal rate; I think £1.39. About 2 days later I drove my normal runabout, my 40 year old "peoples car" into Lewes to visit my doctor, and topped up on the way as it was getting low. The following weekend , as my son wanted to borrow my ladder I took our family estate car out; and again topped up as it was low on fuel. There you have it: 3 cars topped up, no panic buying, no temporary silly rip-offs . All fuel supplied at 1.39. Yes, I run 3 vehicles! But I can only drive one at a time.

On 10 Apr 2012 at 5:28pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I run a van . I need it to take my tools and materials to where I work- on client's premises. I replenised my fuel tank at Clayhill during the "crisis", at the normal rate; I think £1.39. About 2 days later I drove my normal runabout, my 40 year old "peoples car" into Lewes to visit my doctor, and topped up on the way as it was getting low. The following weekend , as my son wanted to borrow my ladder I took our family estate car out; and again topped up as it was low on fuel. There you have it: 3 cars topped up, no panic buying, no temporary silly rip-offs . All fuel supplied at 1.39. Yes, I run 3 vehicles! But I can only drive one at a time.

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street Lewes 50:143
Keere Street Lewes

Yes, at the time Maria Caulfield wrote me a long email telling me what a wonderful job Network Rail were doing and how we would... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams