Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Thanks Bills

On 8 Jan 2010 at 1:56pm LTR wrote:
So a special mention to Bills.
I have often thought they were a bit selfish, with a pretence to being community spirited, but they have breathed life back into their own pavement saga.
Thanks a bunch for chucking all your tables and chairs out on the only clear swept part of the pavement for all those customers desperate for a cup of coffee (ready iced) out in sub-zero temperatures in the arctic shade. Leaving a very neat territorial line that forces the rest of us to trip over the icy bits you have left on the pavement, that other shops have swept up. Try borrowing a broom or shovel from the next cafe along, or any of the many other businesses that care just the tiniest bit about other peopl,e safety, and perhaps goodwill and profit. meanwhile I wiull pop over to Boots for some savlon.

On 8 Jan 2010 at 2:37pm fruitfly wrote:
...and there are squashed oranges in the ice! Obviously run out of grit!

On 8 Jan 2010 at 2:58pm Frosty wrote:
How about a group of people just moving the tables and chairs off the pavement, if they're not being used in this freezing weather. It's not theft or vandalism, since you are just unblocking a part of the public highway. I can't see it being any worse than leaving tables and chairs for people to trip over.
Is Bill going to threaten people with a fairtrade organic kumquat?

On 8 Jan 2010 at 3:12pm LTR wrote:
I don't care about tables and chairs being on part of the pavement as long as they aren't occupying the only safe bit, and have a license. it would take 15minutes to do what all their neighbours have done. But as many have said before, this isn;t the lovely local eatery it pretends to be. Truly selfish, and not even very good business sense.

On 8 Jan 2010 at 4:13pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Imo it would serve them right if people moved them off the pavement and into the river! (Not that I approve of dumping stuff in the river, of course)

On 8 Jan 2010 at 4:47pm Smiler wrote:
I saw Bills staff clearing the pavement all the way down to The Gardners this afternoon.
Credit where credit's due.

On 8 Jan 2010 at 6:27pm LTR wrote:
you mean credit to the Forum for embarassing them into doing it? there are people who did it right from the start so hooray for them. Real community spirited types who lead by example!

On 8 Jan 2010 at 8:00pm TDA wrote:
Well there is a massive bit of cleared ice outside their shop... where their tables and chairs go... er... you wouldn't put tables and chairs out on ice would you? So you clear the pavement outside your shop and use it for whatever your business is. What is your point? "The only clear swept part of pavement" was cleared by Bills for Bills. That's just sensible business.

BTW I saw Norman Baker being interviewed by a telly crew this morning by the bridge and MIRACULOUSLY there were a team of council workers clearing ice, beautifully framed in the background I imagine, by Forfars. Have just got in from work tonight and they must have stopped shovelling as soon as the cameras stopped rolling - its just as icey as it was before. How sick and cynical is that?

On 8 Jan 2010 at 8:28pm leaf wrote:
well it only took 8 days into the decade for the Bill bashing to begin, St pancras must be next, or strange orange lights in the sky...

On 9 Jan 2010 at 12:51am Sherlock wrote:
Here's an idea for people who don't like Bill and his London partner - don't buy anything at his business. I don't and I don't.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 2:05pm Slip Sliding Away wrote:
I don't care if Bill's is crap or great, and I certainly don't care who his partner is, or where she comes from.
I do care that someone can be selfish enough to use the only properly cleared bit of pavement to plonk their window dressing on (empty chairs) but can't be botherd to sweep the extra couple of feet like anyone else with either decency, business sense, or a spade. You see it doesn't take a genius to work out that creating a slippery dangerous barrier between yourself and the punters causes them to have to keep away from your goodies, whilst also pi@ssing off Joe Public who can compare this attitude with that of Bill's neighbours. Why wouldn't Bill's cclear it?
You see it might just be that people who don't like Bill's approach to shared public spaces are right, regardles off what we think of the shop, its produce, or what it looks like.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 2:31pm leaf wrote:
I just dont understand why Bill gets all the grief, the other cafe has stuff on the pavement, as does mays and the pet shop.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 2:43pm Ltr wrote:
Do you mean their completely swept pavement?

On 9 Jan 2010 at 5:43pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Most shops in Lewes haven't cleared the pavements outside. Some have cleared their entranceways, but the High Street and Cliffe for the most part are very dangerously icy.

On 9 Jan 2010 at 6:00pm ice magic wrote:
there was a strip cleared across bills, but unfortunately no one could use it because he has plonked empty tables and chairs on it. i think that is the point being made. Why clear some, but not all of your frontage, and why fill it up with your own, pointless empty furniture. It says a lot about some people that they are prepared to clear what suits them but then moan about parking/business rates etc etc. This is one titchy tiny little thing, and they can't even get that right. If like any other icy mainland Euurope city everyone just did there own bit, it would take no time, and we would all melt in the glow of neighbourliness. instead its each for his own. Lovely.

On 10 Jan 2010 at 12:26am Brixtonbelle wrote:
I blame Margaret Thatcher for the selfish 'greed is good' and 'no such thing as society' culture.
I had a nice coffee in Bills the other day but it was cold even sitting inside because the staff kept going in and out (presumably to serve the people outside) and it was expensive.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 9:49am dave wrote:
Did you mss the next interview after Norman Baker the council all on bridge drinking coffee ?? so they didnt go straight home fact.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 12:27pm DEVIL wrote:
LEWES IS EXSPENSIVE ITS A TORY TOWN AND BILLS IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE PAYING FOR OVER PRICED GOODS

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pipe Passage 98:132
Pipe Passage

Hm, I could recommend you Chameleon decorators and windows restoration This company uses vacuum-sealed double glazing technology... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle