Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Tesco's Law

On 18 Jul 2012 at 8:53pm Andrew wrote:
I've just returned from Lewes Tesco's where I had the audacity to buy myself a bottle of beer whilst in the presence of my 15 year old son. We were at the self-checkout and I was told I could not buy the beer (amongst other items) as my son was under-age. I was told "it's the law" and "How do we know he's your son?". What on earth is going on? I can go to a pub with my children and buy myself a pint but not apparently Tesco's.

On 18 Jul 2012 at 9:55pm Fairmeadow wrote:
I don't think that is the law.

On 19 Jul 2012 at 10:40am jonnyboy wrote:
hXXp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-566340/Tesco-bans-parents-buying-alcohol-OWN-children.html
Tesco's have been doing this for some time.
On 19 Jul 2012 at 11:50am someone else wrote:
It is legal for parents or guardians to permit their children to drink alcohol in the home from the age of 5 up. Tesco ain't the police; they should butt out.
On 19 Jul 2012 at 12:07pm Cliffite wrote:
Be grateful you actually got some interaction from a member of Tesco staff. Actually, scratch that, no-one wants that.
Complete BS you should have asked to see the manager
On 19 Jul 2012 at 12:23pm Mr Forks wrote:
Yet another reason not to shop at Tesco. This company is really beyond beyod belief!
On 19 Jul 2012 at 12:47pm Tommy wrote:
How stupid do they think people are? IF I was to buy alcohol for a minor I would hope to have enough brain cells not to have the minor stood next to me at the till.
On 19 Jul 2012 at 1:52pm Jack Cohen wrote:
All you idiots complaining about Tesco make me laugh. Being the second largest retailer in the world indicates that a lot of people seem to like shopping there. Get a life all of you sad people.

On 19 Jul 2012 at 2:09pm Mr Forks wrote:
Said a spokesman for Tesco

On 19 Jul 2012 at 2:27pm I shop in Tesco's wrote:
but he is right...
Let's face it folks, all big business have the same ethos...profit is king.

On 19 Jul 2012 at 2:36pm Deelite wrote:
Like? Or is is just too convenient? I don't think 'like' has anything to do with it. Every time I go there I feel conned by Price drops which aren't, 2 for 1 offers which are more than the price for one... and I only want one.... and vegetables that are priced in such disparate ways that it is impossible to compare the prices between them.

And... lots of the goods are expensive (fish cheaper at the covered market), fruit at any fruit and veg seller (except Bills!), tins of toms, herbs etc...

And then there's the bacon that is pumped full of water....

On 19 Jul 2012 at 2:41pm Wife of Bath wrote:
Profit is not King, the business mantra goes like this... Turnover is vanity Profit is sanity But Cash is King.
On 19 Jul 2012 at 2:45pm Southover Queen wrote:
I rarely if ever go into Tescos. I hate the ethos of the company and I dislike the shops. I also don't like the quality of the fresh food, particularly the meat.

Aldi, by contrast, has a reputation for treating its employees well, undercuts Tescos by a considerable margin and is a far nicer environment. I divide my allegiance between Aldi and Waitrose where the meat is good quality (if expensive!) but is sourced fairly. I also like the atmosphere in there - the staff are friendly and knowledgeable and actually seem to care.

On 19 Jul 2012 at 3:41pm Andrew wrote:
Thanks for the link jonnyboy, I didn't realise Tesco's Morality Police ethic was so widespread. Needless to say I shall avoid Tesco's in future especially as Waitrose is now open until 9pm most nights.

On 19 Jul 2012 at 3:46pm Jack Cohen wrote:
A shining example of how a modern retail business should be run. Face it. The millions of satisfied returning customers can't all be wrong, so maybe it's the handfull of moaners on here?

On 19 Jul 2012 at 4:03pm Mr Forks wrote:

On 19 Jul 2012 at 5:06pm Rookie wrote:
Spot the troll.

On 19 Jul 2012 at 6:25pm jonnyboy wrote:
I wonder if Tesco would allow an 18 DVD or a pack of razors to be sold to someone with a teen in tow
On 19 Jul 2012 at 8:09pm Gerry wrote:

I applaud them. Anything that hinders underage drinking is ok in my book.

On 19 Jul 2012 at 9:17pm Deelite wrote:
Anything?

On 19 Jul 2012 at 10:30pm Camel toe wrote:
I haven't been into Tescos or Waitrose for 6 months.
I LOVE Aldi.
Less choice granted,but less stress. When the Grandson legs it he is found fairly easily...Quicker through the checkout.
What more could one want.
On 20 Jul 2012 at 8:43am Jack Cohen wrote:
Aldi is just a waste of space. Substandard copies of the real things, piles of useless tat, rude staff insisting you to go to the checkout a full 10 minutes before closing time and only ever one till open with a queue of a dozen or more waiting tp pay. PAH!

On 20 Jul 2012 at 8:52am Mr Forks wrote:

On 20 Jul 2012 at 1:29pm Me-Mo wrote:
Tesco and trying to buy beer is stupid. They claim you could be buying it for under age people and yet to not serve someone they must be of the opnion that you are buying it for the underage person - so if you had a teen girl with you and were buying bottles of alcopops then maybe but to not be able to buy a bottle of beer is stupid. I once had this in there with my partner. He was trying to buy 2 bottles of real ale, i didnt have my id as we only popped into tesco for a pizza (the beer was for his father) and they refused to serve us the real ale claiming that it could have been for me. Even if i was underage - how many girls 17 and younger drink real ale?

On 20 Jul 2012 at 1:44pm LewesLawyer wrote:
After work I'm going to go to Tesco with my two small children and buy a bottle of champagne.
Tomorrow I'm going to go to Tesco with my two small children and buy half a dozen WKD (strawberry flavour if they do it).
Not a foolproof experiment, but I'll report back with the results.

On 21 Jul 2012 at 10:02am The Super K wrote:
I love how a question is asked... an answer WITH link is posted... then the nob brigade plough in with the moaning.... Gotta love the people of Lewes.

On 21 Jul 2012 at 11:14am Southover Queen wrote:
Ho ho....
It wouldn't be nearly so funny if it weren't true.

Check it out here »

On 21 Jul 2012 at 2:22pm Jack Cohen wrote:
Lewes people = bl**dy whingers.
On 21 Jul 2012 at 2:51pm Southover Queen wrote:
Lewes people = independent thinkers
On 21 Jul 2012 at 7:20pm Billy wrote:
So so so simple! It's a free world so shop where you like! Slag tescos off so don't go there!
On 21 Jul 2012 at 7:20pm Billy wrote:
So so so simple! It's a free world so shop where you like! Slag tescos off so don't go there!

On 22 Jul 2012 at 9:09am Splot wrote:
Or don't go there and still slag it off. Much better.
On 22 Jul 2012 at 10:15am Right Wing Rick wrote:
You can't be considered a proper 'right on leftie' unless you hate big business. Though Apple's exploitation of the poor of China is fine obviously

On 22 Jul 2012 at 11:17am Taff wrote:
Some decades ago I was off fishing but had no parrafin for my tilley lamp. Popped into the local DIY store and found the shelf with turps, white spirit, meths BBQ fluid etc. When I asked where the parrafin is I was told they were not allowed to stock it as it was flammable and they did not have a certificate for flammables! Volatiles are ok but not flammables.

On 2 Aug 2012 at 2:18pm chloe wrote:
hi
i am not happy because DEBBIE FULLER TOLD ME ABOUT TESCO AND SHE SAID THAT IS NOT GOOD TO WORK THERE.

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:132
Impending Sheep

I tested Carfax, paid $ 40 for the report and received an incomplete report. Try Epicvin , I was given a full vin history report more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine