Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Tesco take community helpers to court in Lewes

On 7 Jul 2010 at 9:49pm Dave wrote:
Two community helpers are being held responsible by Tesco for over £7000 costs to do with vacating the Lewes Road Community Garden for a new Tesco store and betting shop to be built!.
At the Brighton Court last week, 70 plus protesters made really bad p.r for the Company so they have moved the hearing to Lewes
The appeal will be heard at Lewes County Court on Friday 9th July-this Friday- at 10.30.
Protesters from Brighton will be arriving with banners etc from 9.30 (via Big Lemon bus!), but it would be so comforting to be met by people from Lewes too.
They need as much support as possible,so if you can be there to be seen and heard, or fancy attending the hearing too its very informative-we would love to see you.
Please tell as many Lewes people as possible
Tesco are afraid of the negative pr and may pull out, and if they do, no other supermarket chain will dare move in! The value of the land will go down and we have concrete plans for buying the land for community ownership.
Communities Not Corporations - help make history!
On 7 Jul 2010 at 10:18pm Bongo wrote:
Those stinky lemon buses don't go to Lewes, do they?
On 7 Jul 2010 at 10:50pm Big Al wrote:
The Moving On parade is this Friday. If this is spoilt by a bunch of smelly hippies Tesco will be the least of your worries.
On 7 Jul 2010 at 11:02pm Long Distance Whelker wrote:
What more can I add to Bongo and Big Al's posts? They have summed up my sentiments precisely.

Oh - and take Tesco's with you

On 7 Jul 2010 at 11:03pm Mrtibsmummy wrote:
Should be an interesting morning then: the high street will be closed at lunchtime for the "Moving On" parade.
On 7 Jul 2010 at 11:22pm Janet Street Preacher wrote:
So do I understand this correctly?

You really think it's OK for Tesco, a company that turns over over a 1bn a week!!! to take 2 community helpers who have created a useful space on a bit of wasteland to court over £7000 that they claim it will cost to clear it?

As Dave says - Communities Not Corporations

On 7 Jul 2010 at 11:40pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Much as I don't like Tesco and Porter family ethics, and much as I love gardens, I really hope these protesters don't ruin the moving on parade for all the year 6 school kids.
@Dave please be aware of what is going on in Lewes that day - hundreds of school children will be parading through the town in costume, carnival atmosphere and you won't make your cause popular if busloads of protesters disrupt it for them. It's a huge community event in Lewes, which I hope you respect.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 12:40am SG wrote:
Not only that, but this Friday is also the first of the new Farmers' Market in the Needlemakers, and it would be a shame to have that get off to such a start if there's a lot of bad feeling in the town.
However, I also agree that Tesco trying to charge 2 community workers is disgraceful. I think I'm on the fence here.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 12:40am Ms Laite wrote:
The Parade will not be disrupted. The original community team are asking for the costs to be removed. As it is felt by the LEWES road community that 2 individuals should not be held responsible for the actions of all members of society beyond their control. They gave back the land on time as requested. It then became the legal responsibility of the sub contractors and the owners to secure and "persons unknown" proof the site. The handover of the land was 4:30 pm 28 th June 2010. Well documented. They (the owners and contractors) waited 5 days before turning up with their Harris fencing to finally secure their land. Thus leaving it open to all for 5 days.
All they (the original community team) are asking is a that they retain their community as Lewes has successfully done by stop multinationals from taking over premises and forcing local bossinesses out.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 5:28am shopper wrote:
It's a little bit late to stop multinationals from taking over in that area. Within half a mile, there's a huge sainsburys, a BP incorperating M&S, a Somerfield and at least 2 other supermarkets whos names escape me.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 7:26am MC wrote:
Come on, stop being so negative. The comments make Lewes seem small-minded and parochial. The small guy against the indiscriminate power-wielding big guys is something many Lewesians understand and should transcend into-town/city rivalry. It is the Tescos corporation that's moved the hearing here... not the Lewes Road Community Garden people. There is room for the farmers market, the parade and a demo (or someting could be arranged).
Have some heart.
On 8 Jul 2010 at 8:30am TAFKAPS wrote:
Bloody unwashed, hippy bloody tree hugging crusties. Get a job the lot of you! I've always hated the Levellers!

On 8 Jul 2010 at 8:39am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Don't forget the Old Stein T'KAPS
On 8 Jul 2010 at 8:50am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm glad I won't be in Lewes tomorrow. I think the moving on parade is a huge waste of time and fail to see why the town should grind to a halt just because children are changing schools, as they have done since time immemorial.
It's a nightmare for people who are obliged to use their cars and have to call on premises in the town centre. I wouldn't mind so much if it was after working hours, but it is disruptive beyond words.
I will now don my tin hat and flack jacket.
Good luck to the community garden peeps, too.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 9:32am Commuter wrote:
I may be shot for this comment but I have to be honest and say I have always thought the Lewes Road Community Garden looks really messy and a bit of an eyesore, in my opinion the land hasn't been used to its best (not that I want it built on, far from it!) but the 'garden' could definitely do with a makeover and I am not actually that surprised that someone wants to build on it.
On 8 Jul 2010 at 9:38am kevsy wrote:
Right behind you, fortunately those posting the 'get off my land' views above are a dying breed and given the way they expressed themselves it can't come a moment too soon. The majority are more progressive and I'm sure a fair few will be along to offer support. It would be nice to think the farmers market and anti tesco protest could coincide given the principles that the farmers market

On 8 Jul 2010 at 9:40am rebel clown wrote:
My suggestion is this: Pay for a few parking spaces opposite the court, bring some astro turf, flowers chairs etc and turn the spaces into a small public park for the duration of the session. The protest can take place there at the same time as raising awareness of the some of the issues. I did this once a couple of years ago in Lewes. There will be lots of useful publicity (which Tesco would hate).
Unlike some of the people on here I think this Tesco act of corporate bullying needs to be challenged. Remember the McLibel case.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 9:47am 'ere be monsters wrote:
'fraid not

On 8 Jul 2010 at 10:13am Down and Out wrote:
When we lived in Brighton we lived close to the site of the Lewes Road Community Garden, although it was just a derelict plot then. The fact that a disparate group can come together and create a public space without any need for local council funds or approval, and that this space becomes cared for by the whole community and gets vandalised far less than any public park is, to my mind, a brilliant example of what it means to be public spirited.
How many posts have there been on this forum complaining about people littering in parks and public space in Lewes? You don't see that at the Lewes Road garden at all; people care because they have contributed. Yet the same idiots who moan about littering also moan about 'smelly hippies'?
What Tesco are doing at Lewes Road is building a new store right next door to a Co-op, immediately opposite a Spar, and then 250 yds from an M&S and a large Sainsburys. This isn't about offering more choice, it's simply about Tesco using their corporate muscle to bully some of their competitors into closure.
It's bad enough that Tesco don't give a damn about anything except for acheiving a 100% monopoly, but that they should actually pursue legal action for costs against members of the community who simply wanted to make good use of a long-time derelict space beggars belief.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 10:29am Mr Change wrote:
Well said Down & Out I agree 100%......

On 8 Jul 2010 at 11:42am Brixtonbelle wrote:
I would support a community garden versus tesco anyday. But I think for all concerned please be sensitive to a very special day for hundreds of school children. Oh and I don't have a year 6 child myself but I know how hard they have been working. Maybe the protesters could even cheer them along as they pass the court ?!
And ignore ACT slightly spiteful comments - she prefers dogs to children !

On 8 Jul 2010 at 11:46am Down and Out wrote:
Incidentally, what is the County Court? Is it in the Crown Court building or the Magistrate's Court?

On 8 Jul 2010 at 11:46am Smiler wrote:
Well said Down & Out I agree 100%......
On 8 Jul 2010 at 12:22pm Bill. Brighton wrote:
Its about time Tesco were put down, there greed is our downfall. They are like ants they crawl in every nook and cranny and will eventually put their hands in everybodies pockets.
Good luck you people on your quest to break the evil of big business.
On 8 Jul 2010 at 12:51pm TAFKAPS wrote:
Get a job!

On 8 Jul 2010 at 12:54pm sashimi wrote:
Down and Out, the County Court shares premises with the Crown Court. It is for civil actions, which this is (Tesco vs the Community Garden Two). So the loaction is probably correct. ACT, I am astonished that you can be so cumudgeonly about the Moving On Parade. Going up to Secondary School is a big event for these children and it can be pretty frightening too. This is a chance to get a preview of the kids from other primary schools they will be meeting next September. As for the protestors. They are community activists not terrorists, for goodness sake! They'll get off the street, onto the pavement and cheer when the procession comes along, same as 50,000 people do on 5 November. Good luck to all of them. Lewes can take it.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 1:13pm Mystic Mog wrote:
I agree Sashimi.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 1:52pm TAFKAPS wrote:
Community activists??!! Love it!

On 8 Jul 2010 at 2:01pm Wollstencraft wrote:
The demo is at 9.30 am - the court hearing is 10.30am. The Big Lemon has somewhere to park in Lewes as - guess what - they store buses in this town so the roads won't be blocked.
The new Lewes Food market opens at 9.30 am and closes at 12.30pm
The kids parade is at 12.30pm.
So all clashes are in the minds of the ...er....small minded maybe?
As for "smelly hippies".... climate campers many of whom live in Lewes are generally Transition Towners with different -hats on - plus university lecturers, school teachers, councillors, computer programmers. dance teachers, organic farmers and retired firemen - among other careerists.
The court hearing - brought by the multinational greedy corporation Tesco - which recently rode roughshod through the planning laws to ensure a bleak future for Lewes town centre - may last an hour or so. And there will obviously be a response to the outcome outside the court.
Hope this clarifies

On 8 Jul 2010 at 2:05pm MC wrote:
I'm with Down and Out.
On 8 Jul 2010 at 2:18pm Mr Blunt wrote:
The space is owned by someone, the community garden use it free of charge, the owners now want to sell it.
This "garden" is a haven for drunks, drug addicts and the general unwashed so just get over yourselves, it's time to move on and get these low-lifes moved on.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 2:44pm TeDeum wrote:
I drive past it twice a day and I've never seen the sort of people you describe in it. It's mostly been young families.
I'm all for community space. It's a shame that almost all land is privately owned and profit the name of the game.

On 8 Jul 2010 at 3:05pm kevsy wrote:
Mr Blunt, much as you would love to be the case, actually you are talking rubbish. You tend to find that issue going on outside the garden not in them. Wishful thinking on your part.
Ill be there at 9.30 to add my support, I'm sure many other locals will come along. Most of the small minded individuals commenting here will still be stuck behind their pc's getting twisted inside about the next outragous thing to invade their dull lives.
On 8 Jul 2010 at 3:27pm GETOVERIT wrote:
yes while the rest of us are at work not giving a s#!t about the outcome!

On 8 Jul 2010 at 3:43pm kevsy wrote:
Surfing the internet in company time, quite I find for your company eh!

On 8 Jul 2010 at 5:32pm Old Lewes Bag wrote:
Where exactly is this place?

On 8 Jul 2010 at 10:55pm danielle wrote:
YES more gardens, the garden needed time to GROW, as plants do grow, and that's why it looked a little scrubby I reckon, but at least there was the potential for clean good growth, and I really dont think the people responsible for this perfectly harmless and postive endeavour should be charged any money at all. ESPECIALLLY BY TESCO because NONE at Tesco are thinking of the most beneficial use for this space, because it certainly is not yet another supermarket, this area would not be enhanced by a supermarket, so what is tescos big game, and children need gardens and place to go.

On 9 Jul 2010 at 10:25am hilarious wrote:
I love comparing the rants of your standard upper middle class lewesian brown rice munching twot who frequents this site, compared to the more relaxed comments on the Argus website. Chucklesome

On 9 Jul 2010 at 9:17pm Clifford wrote:
Just out of interest Hilarious, do you see yourself as middle class, working class or lumpen?

On 9 Jul 2010 at 9:45pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Just out of interest what happened today with the protest and Moving On parade. An was the new market a success ?

On 9 Jul 2010 at 10:25pm wrote:
The court case was cancelled (keep up). Dunno about the other two cos I was at work.

On 10 Jul 2010 at 3:18am Ms Laite wrote:
The court case went ahead. The developers wanted to claim ridiculous costs. The level headed fair-minded judge told them to "jog on" and reduced the costs from thousands to £500. Which has already been paid by the hard working community team. They have since discovered covenants attached to the land restricting the sale of alcohol. That's going to hurt Tesco's trying to sell cheap beer. It looks like it's church land. The dream would now be to apply for funding to purchase the land and create The Reverend Wagner park.

On 11 Jul 2010 at 12:13pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Lol at the covenenant!
I'm curious as to whether Tesco's knew about it and were happy to have a "dry" store, were confident they could get it lifted, or hadn't realised it existed.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Harveys Brewery 40:132
Harveys Brewery

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy