Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Tesco fair pay

11
2
On 8 Feb 2018 at 3:22pm William wrote:
Tesco female shop workers want the same pay as male warehouse workers.
Don't Tesco have any male shop workers? and female warehouse workers? I'm confused.
10
6
On 8 Feb 2018 at 3:33pm Maybe... wrote:
Try reading the various articles about it properly. Tesco staff want parity of pay between shop floor workers who are generally on about £8 per hour and warehouse workers who generally get around £10 per hour, the argument being that both jobs are essentially the same with one group unloading lorries and the other stacking shelves. To make it into a news story, it was pointed out that most shop floor workers are women and most warehouse workers are blokes.

The whole thing is nonsense, companies can pay different rates for different work and just because two jobs are a bit similar doesn't mean they should automatically demand the same pay rate. As you say, there are men working out front and women working in the warehouses and unless there is a proveable difference between the rates of pay for men and women for doing exactly the same work then this is an absolute non-starter. I'd imagine some ambulance chasing lawyers took this on in the hope Tesco would just pay up rather than contest it because it's an incredibly tenuous claim.
3
5
On 8 Feb 2018 at 3:50pm William wrote:
OK to be fair, I only heard about it via the BBC (website and television news) but even when they analysed it, it was always presented as dispute over gender inequality.
7
5
On 8 Feb 2018 at 4:12pm Richmal Crompton wrote:
Don't believe all you read, William.
6
2
On 8 Feb 2018 at 6:49pm @Maybe wrote:
Lots of equal pay claims donít relate to people in the same jobs. There have been some well publicised claims where jobs have been considered comparable (dinner ladies vs dustmen).
7
11
On 8 Feb 2018 at 9:21pm Stonemam wrote:
women need putting back in there boxes
4
5
On 8 Feb 2018 at 10:37pm jo hart wrote:
is my dinner ready woman if not bloody jump to it
5
8
On 8 Feb 2018 at 10:46pm jo hart wrote:
when a woman can stand in front of a man urinals and pžs# in it she can have equal
pay
5
7
On 8 Feb 2018 at 10:51pm Last three posts wrote:
^w@nker alert^
3
4
On 8 Feb 2018 at 11:55pm @stonemam wrote:
Stonemam needs spelling lessons
3
1
On 9 Feb 2018 at 3:23pm Gus wrote:
I'm confused. A "mam" is a woman, surely!
1
 
On 10 Feb 2018 at 12:47pm Tovwind wrote:
Mam must be like Nan, surely ?


25 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Pells Pool Perspective 97:132
Pells Pool Perspective

I love that. "We don't actually need another leisure path". We are not exactly overwhelmed with leisure paths suitable for... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington