Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Tesco expantion

On 29 Jan 2009 at 7:38pm Lewes Neighbour posing as Merlin Milner wrote:
Has anybody else seen the Tesco display yet for plans of the extention. I must say it is very impressive and after learning what they actually do for the community and the enviroment I was won over! Really hope they get it!!!

On 29 Jan 2009 at 7:43pm Pig Mallion wrote:
Um, yes of course, 'Merlin Milner'

On 29 Jan 2009 at 7:56pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
'What they actually do for the community'? Apart from suck it dry?

On 29 Jan 2009 at 8:01pm Local wrote:
Tesco are renowned for their tax avoidance, which is of course a way of making sure they contribute as little as possible to the community. Google 'tesco + tax avoidance' and read about it.

On 29 Jan 2009 at 8:10pm Smiler wrote:
I know Merlin and I know he doesn't spell expansion with a t

On 29 Jan 2009 at 8:10pm Rouser wrote:
Trouble is they don't do any of their community or environment things for or in Lewes.

On 29 Jan 2009 at 8:15pm Lewes neighbour wrote:
I have seen it and the development people said about the solar pannels and wind energy. It's a bit disapponting we all seem narrow minded on here?

On 29 Jan 2009 at 8:54pm Musher wrote:
Better than being so open minded that your brains fall out!
On 29 Jan 2009 at 9:01pm fireball wrote:
tesco expantion will not kill of the smaller shops . it the bl##y lewes d. c
parking scheme will do that .

On 29 Jan 2009 at 9:58pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Just to let you know I did not start this posting and webby can you please reveal their true identity or normal handle. Thank you.
To pretend to be a real person is not in the spirit of this forum, even if the posting is amusing

On 29 Jan 2009 at 10:00pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Just to let you know I did not start this posting and webby can you please reveal their true identity or normal handle. Thank you.
To pretend to be a real person is not in the spirit of this forum, even if the posting is amusing

On 29 Jan 2009 at 11:17pm Geoff wrote:
we know its not you Merlin, because you will have been incorrectly instructed by Cllr Peter Gardiner not to talk to any of your electorate about planning issues! (its OK, we know really that you aren't as weak as your District Council colleagues and would )
But seriously, I do hope Cllr Gardiner is going to ban the continued reference to Tesco's 'extension' if it gets approved.

On 29 Jan 2009 at 11:39pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I'll leap to your defence Merlin - you are the only councillor worth his weight in salt in this town (even if you are vegetarian!)
I hate Tesco's and rarely go there. I shall certainly be placing my objection to the planning application (not that LDC take any notice of onjections, but at least I can sleep with a clear conscious).

On 30 Jan 2009 at 3:58am expat two wrote:
And lets not forget the fraudulent Shirley Porter is an heiress. Just check out how she cheated her way to avoiding 25m sterling (sorry, no pound key here) in fines.
Sadly, most English shoppers, don't care a fig about any of that, so long as they can get some cheap clothes for their children. I was never a fan of Tesco's if only because of its intense banality.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:04am Spongebob wrote:
Spinster (and all the other objectors), Isn't it about choice ? Shouldn't people who WANT to use Tesco, be allowed to and shouldn't those people who want a greater choice (clothes, electrical goods etc) be allowed to buy them from wherever they wish, tesco included.
i get really hacked off with jumped up little Hitlers who, because they don't like it, think no one else should enjoy it.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 7:50am Musher wrote:
A choice would be a fine thing, but the problem is that when other people choose Tescos it takes away my choice of small local retailers, butchers, greengrocers etc.
Shops like Tescos have a pricing policy, loss leaders, that is designed to reduce choice in the high street, not increase it.
Jumped up little Hitlers? Would you prefer a forum where everyone agreed? Why not use an intelligent argument instead of insults?
Who knows, you might change someone's mind.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 8:20am Lewes wrote:
I agree with spongebob although he could have got the point accross better. If you say you don't shop at Tesco then you shouldn't really be objecting, it's for the people. Who use the store who I agree with it does need a better range and wider aisles.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 9:48am Lewes Laugher wrote:
What a relief that this thread was not opened by the real 'Merlin Milner', one of the few councillors for whom I (and many other people) have a great deal of respect.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 10:09am sashimi wrote:
Am I missing something here? Is 'Lewes Neighbour posing as Merlin Milner' fraudulently posing as 'Merlin Milner'? Or has Webby made a subsequent adjustment?
Merlin made some excellent points about the Tesco proposal at the meeting and the Tesco representative seemed quite miffed that he had read all the papers. Apparently, Tesco's turnover at £30m is 75% of the supermarket turnover in the Town (which means Waitrose turnover is 10m). Non-Tesco turnover in Lewes is 17.5m, so if you take off Waitrose's 10m, the rest of the Town (WHS, Boots, independents) does 7.5m. The Tesco expansion is budgetted to add 5.3m to their turnover. Whilst some of it will be taking trade away from Brighton, a lot of it will have a direct impact on the existing traders. Is this right?

On 30 Jan 2009 at 10:28am I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
Thanks to the subtle clue from Webbo it appears that Lewes Neighbour is posing as Merlin Milner.
There is a difference between the two in as much as Merlin has balls and isn't afraid to stand up and be counted.
They say imitation in the sincerest form of flattery.
PhilX

On 30 Jan 2009 at 11:08am Geoff wrote:
Spongebob. You can only have choice if you do not allow one 'player' to dominate everyone else. Otherwise the choice ends up being, which branch of Tesco you go to. The other problem with letting large organisations get over dominant, is if their giant bubble bursts. Lewes is in real danger of being a one shop town, with lots of twine purveyors and coffee emporiums for tourists.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 11:10am James wrote:
On a serious note has anyone seen the plan? What's it all about?

On 30 Jan 2009 at 11:11am James wrote:
on a serious note has any one seen the plans? What's it all about?

On 30 Jan 2009 at 1:32pm Who cares? wrote:
Tesco's is pants!

On 30 Jan 2009 at 2:00pm Merlin Milner wrote:
We must not forget that Aldi is going to be near Tesco and that the old Culverwell site now has had a planning restriction lifeted so that any future development can sell anything. The town centre may shift as a result.
It is important that the centre of town retains a healthy mix of multiples and local businesses. If we loose the likes of Argos, Sussex stationers, Smiths etc then this will bring down local traders and vica versa.
BTW The Sx Exp reported in a garbled way the point I was trying to make that there are some items (clothing) that the Tesco's could provide, however this is not enough to allow this expansion. Especailly one that will affect Lewes's pharmacies, opticians, book shops, record shops home & cookwares etc.
As Sashimi says Tesco at present provides 75% of all convenience spending in Lewes and whose trading in Lewes is significantly above their store averages.
Tesco are doing this to protect and increase market share not for our direct benefit.
Finally I believe today is the last day to get comments into LDC. Thank you for the kind comments.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 4:52pm S.Oliver wrote:
This is clearly ridiculous. Lewes is a small town, and our Council and Councillors seems incapable of ensuring that it is protected from becoming the side show to a retail park, instead of the beautiful hub of a national park.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 5:07pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Lets see what the LDC planning committee do, they have not considered Tesco's application yet. Lewes Town Council have and we rejected it.
Aldi have been given restrictions on what they will be able to sell.
Also the government are not helping with their new planning guidlines.
Finally the parking scheme is an 'open goal'....don't get me started!

On 30 Jan 2009 at 5:23pm Spongebob wrote:
Where does everyone think that the shoppers will go if Tescos wasn't there ? Do you think people will start saying things like "oh my god, i can't get my groceries this week, im going to have to go to Bills for them" or "i can't get any socks for my kids so i'll have to go to wickle" (or whoever sells kids socks)
They'd go to ASDA in Brighton, not the high street.
Apart from a few of the bigger chains in the town, Lewes "shopping" is designed for a completely different animal altogether.
People who shop in the high street and go to these obscure and unique shops aren't going to change their minds and go to Tesco just because it's got a new bit on the end.
It's about time the people of Lewes got what they wanted, and that's better shopping facilities.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 5:29pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Argos, Smiths, New Look, McKays, Boots etc are these shops 'obscure and unique'? Because Tesco accounts for 75% of all convenience shopping in Lewes, even a modest increase in this figure will have a detremental effect upon ALL the shops in the centre, especially if they sell items that they currently do not sell but are available in town. This is about their excessive expansion NOT their exsistance.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 5:50pm Spongebob wrote:
If you read my post above Merlin, i said "apart from the chains" (Boots, Argos, Smiths etc). people will always use those big stores regardless. If they go under, it's not because of Tesco.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 5:54pm SHS wrote:
Got to agree with the Sponge. 'Convenience shopping' sums it all up - I wonder what proportion of turnover at Tesco's is outside the 9 to 5 Mon-Sat openings hours of the High Street? How would all those cars now using the Tesco's car park fit on to the High Street parking spaces and would the drivers pay the car parking charges and draconian penalty charges? Why is Tesco's so successful and is success a crime?

On 30 Jan 2009 at 5:56pm SHS wrote:
Got to agree with the Sponge. 'Convenience shopping' sums it all up - I wonder what proportion of turnover at Tesco's is outside the 9 to 5 Mon-Sat openings hours of the High Street? How would all those cars now using the Tesco's car park fit on to the High Street parking spaces and would the drivers pay the car parking charges and draconian penalty charges? Why is Tesco's so successful and is success a crime?

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:01pm Musher wrote:
I'm curious, how can you be certain that Tescos expansion won't cause business' to go bust?

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:06pm Spongebob wrote:
And how can everyone be certain it will cause business go bust

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:12pm Spongebob wrote:
The problem is SHS, life has changed. people can no longer afford to pay the inflated prices of the high street butcher, baker, greengrocer, fish mongers etc etc. I know it's a shame but it's the way of life these days, people want to do all theit shopping under one roof and they want it cheap !!!
I know some people think that quality suffers but i can't honestly taste the difference. The sooner people drag themselves into the 21st century and stop living in the 1950's, the better

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:12pm Merlin Milner wrote:
SB I should read posts more fully, sorry.
Some fair points and I agree about the parking. However it is about balance and ensuring that there is fair competition and enabling all businesses to be successful. Tesco through their financial clout, location and parking have advantages that smaller town centre businesses do not enjoy. If the type of footfall in the centre declines / changes substantailly, I would not be surprised if the multiples would consider their Lewes Town centre's establishments viability. To say that people will always use the centre's big stores is not nessarily true if they can go to Tesco instead. So to loose places like Boots, Dixon etc because of Tesco's competition would cause the beginning of the end of Lewes' town centre as we know it. If you have time you can see Tesco's documents on the LDC website and in particular look at their survey.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:22pm S.Oliver wrote:
Spongebob. Nothing is stopping Tesco's stocking all thge different products they produce now. thety could rearrange their shop, understanding that they are operating in a small town, and shouldn't be over dominant. Without control, you will have the same situation we have with banks. i am afraid the market economy has demonstrated that it does not respect choice. You aren't able to distinguish between a succsss achived using good or bad methods. Tesco's undercuts local businesses through economy of scale, and no one can compete. We don't need to lose Tesco, or be bullied by it.
Who knows what LDC will do. As you know Merlin, we are guaranteed that whatever decision our Councillors take, it will be without having a full poicture of what residents think because your colleagues are refusing to listen to, or meet with those of us affected by their decision. (views both for and against)You are perhaps unaware that planners do the same thing, thus you are almost alone in being interested in various views, and I am sure you will agree that the situation is unfair, breaches due process, and is undemocratic.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:24pm s.oliver wrote:
01/2009 Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I'll leap to your defence Merlin - you are the only councillor worth his weight in salt in this town (even if you are vegetarian!)
I hate Tesco's and rarely go there. I shall certainly be placing my objection to the planning application (not that LDC take any notice of onjections, but at least I can sleep with a clear conscious).
On 30/01/2009 expat two wrote:
And lets not forget the fraudulent Shirley Porter is an heiress. Just check out how she cheated her way to avoiding 25m sterling (sorry, no pound key here) in fines.
Sadly, most English shoppers, don't care a fig about any of that, so long as they can get some cheap clothes for their children. I was never a fan of Tesco's if only because of its intense banality.
On 30/01/2009 Spongebob wrote:
Spinster (and all the other objectors), Isn't it about choice ? Shouldn't people who WANT to use Tesco, be allowed to and shouldn't those people who want a greater choice (clothes, electrical goods etc) be allowed to buy them from wherever they wish, tesco included.
i get really hacked off with jumped up little Hitlers who, because they don't like it, think no one else should enjoy it.
On 30/01/2009 Musher wrote:
A choice would be a fine thing, but the problem is that when other people choose Tescos it takes away my choice of small local retailers, butchers, greengrocers etc.
Shops like Tescos have a pricing policy, loss leaders, that is designed to reduce choice in the high street, not increase it.
Jumped up little Hitlers? Would you prefer a forum where everyone agreed? Why not use an intelligent argument instead of insults?
Who knows, you might change someone's mind.

On 30/01/2009 Lewes wrote:
I agree with spongebob although he could have got the point accross better. If you say you don't shop at Tesco then you shouldn't really be objecting, it's for the people. Who use the store who I agree with it does need a better range and wider aisles.
On 30/01/2009 Lewes Laugher wrote:
What a relief that this thread was not opened by the real 'Merlin Milner', one of the few councillors for whom I (and many other people) have a great deal of respect.
On 30/01/2009 sashimi wrote:
Am I missing something here? Is 'Lewes Neighbour posing as Merlin Milner' fraudulently posing as 'Merlin Milner'? Or has Webby made a subsequent adjustment?
Merlin made some excellent points about the Tesco proposal at the meeting and the Tesco representative seemed quite miffed that he had read all the papers. Apparently, Tesco's turnover at £30m is 75% of the supermarket turnover in the Town (which means Waitrose turnover is 10m). Non-Tesco turnover in Lewes is 17.5m, so if you take off Waitrose's 10m, the rest of the Town (WHS, Boots, independents) does 7.5m. The Tesco expansion is budgetted to add 5.3m to their turnover. Whilst some of it will be taking trade away from Brighton, a lot of it will have a direct impact on the existing traders. Is this right?
On 30/01/2009 I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
Thanks to the subtle clue from Webbo it appears that Lewes Neighbour is posing as Merlin Milner.
There is a difference between the two in as much as Merlin has balls and isn't afraid to stand up and be counted.
They say imitation in the sincerest form of flattery.
PhilX

On 30/01/2009 Geoff wrote:
Spongebob. You can only have choice if you do not allow one 'player' to dominate everyone else. Otherwise the choice ends up being, which branch of Tesco you go to. The other problem with letting large organisations get over dominant, is if their giant bubble bursts. Lewes is in real danger of being a one shop town, with lots of twine purveyors and coffee emporiums for tourists.
On 30/01/2009 James wrote:
on a serious note has any one seen the plans? What's it all about?
On 30/01/2009 Who cares? wrote:
Tesco's is pants!
On 30/01/2009 Merlin Milner wrote:
We must not forget that Aldi is going to be near Tesco and that the old Culverwell site now has had a planning restriction lifeted so that any future development can sell anything. The town centre may shift as a result.
It is important that the centre of town retains a healthy mix of multiples and local businesses. If we loose the likes of Argos, Sussex stationers, Smiths etc then this will bring down local traders and vica versa.
BTW The Sx Exp reported in a garbled way the point I was trying to make that there are some items (clothing) that the Tesco's could provide, however this is not enough to allow this expansion. Especailly one that will affect Lewes's pharmacies, opticians, book shops, record shops home & cookwares etc.
As Sashimi says Tesco at present provides 75% of all convenience spending in Lewes and whose trading in Lewes is significantly above their store averages.
Tesco are doing this to protect and increase market share not for our direct benefit.
Finally I believe today is the last day to get comments into LDC. Thank you for the kind comments.
On 30/01/2009 S.Oliver wrote:
This is clearly ridiculous. Lewes is a small town, and our Council and Councillors seems incapable of ensuring that it is protected from becoming the side show to a retail park, instead of the beautiful hub of a national park.
Lets see what the LDC planning committee do, they have not considered Tesco's application yet. Lewes Town Council have and we rejected it.
Aldi have been given restrictions on what they will be able to sell.
Also the government are not helping with their new planning guidlines.
Finally the parking scheme is an 'open goal'....don't get me started!
Where does everyone think that the shoppers will go if Tescos wasn't there ? Do you think people will start saying things like "oh my god, i can't get my groceries this week, im going to have to go to Bills for them" or "i can't get any socks for my kids so i'll have to go to wickle" (or whoever sells kids socks)
They'd go to ASDA in Brighton, not the high street.
Apart from a few of the bigger chains in the town, Lewes "shopping" is designed for a completely different animal altogether.
People who shop in the high street and go to these obscure and unique shops aren't going to change their minds and go to Tesco just because it's got a new bit on the end.
It's about time the people of Lewes got what they wanted, and that's better shopping facilities.
Argos, Smiths, New Look, McKays, Boots etc are these shops 'obscure and unique'? Because Tesco accounts for 75% of all convenience shopping in Lewes, even a modest increase in this figure will have a detremental effect upon ALL the shops in the centre, especially if they sell items that they currently do not sell but are available in town. This is about their excessive expansion NOT their exsistance.
If you read my post above Merlin, i said "apart from the chains" (Boots, Argos, Smiths etc). people will always use those big stores regardless. If they go under, it's not because of Tesco.
On 30/01/2009 SHS wrote:

On 30/01/2009 S.Oliver wrote:
Spongebob. Nothing is stopping Tesco's stocking all thge different products they produce now. thety could rearrange their shop, understanding that they are operating in a small town, and shouldn't be over dominant. Without control, you will have the same situation we have with banks. i am afraid the market economy has demonstrated that it does not respect choice. You aren't able to distinguish between a succsss achived using good or bad methods. Tesco's undercuts local businesses through economy of scale, and no one can compete. We don't need to lose Tesco, or be bullied by it.
Who knows what LDC will do. As you know Merlin, we are guaranteed that whatever decision our Councillors take, it will be without having a full poicture of what residents think because your colleagues are refusing to listen to, or meet with those of us affected by their decision. (views both for and against)You are perhaps unaware that planners do the same thing, thus you are almost alone in being interested in various views, and I am sure you will agree that the situation is unfair, breaches due process, and is undemocratic.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:29pm s.oliver wrote:
spongebob. My understanding is that the extenison is for the other products that Tesco sells, not food. How people want to shop is not a planning issue, it is the use of the bulding, and I think, from what merlin has said, the issue of competing with existing businesses who pressumably are entilted through local business charges, to be able to trade fairly

On 30 Jan 2009 at 6:37pm Spongebob wrote:
At the end of the day, it's all about choice, and if people want to shop in Tescos (with the new extension), they should be allowed to do so. If there's enough people who care about the high street as you suggest, there wont be a problem.
But I want to shop in Tescos, and that's for food, electrical goods, fruit and veg, clothes and everything else.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 7:32pm I agree with Spongebob wrote:
We all remember shopping at the local Butchers, Bakers, Greengrocers etc. in the town but unfortunately those days are gone, they went long ago! If Tesco's wasn't here the people who shop there now would just go to Asda or Sainsburies or other large supermarkets out of town.
If Tesco has more to offer people will come from outside of Lewes to shop here and some of those people will then walk into town and possibly use the shops more so it could actually help the Lewes traders.
In fairness the town is not dying because of the likes of Tesco's, it's down to the fact that it has very little to offer.
I personally enjoy walking around the shops in town and do buy random things from our very random shops but you wouldn't bother to come in to Lewes for these shops.
S.Oliver: were you trying to bore us to death just pasting the whole thread in your post? I lost the point as I got bored reading everything again and gave up!

On 30 Jan 2009 at 7:51pm Merlin Milner wrote:
*Think my post go lost with 2 people posting at the same time. So apologies if you have read this*
SB I should read posts more fully, sorry.
Some fair points and I agree about the parking. However it is about balance and ensuring that there is fair competition and enabling all businesses to be successful. Tesco through their financial clout, location and parking have advantages that smaller town centre businesses do not enjoy. If the type of footfall in the centre declines / changes substantailly, I would not be surprised if the multiples would consider their Lewes Town centre's establishments viability. To say that people will always use the centre's big stores is not nessarily true if they can go to Tesco instead. So to loose places like Boots, Dixon etc because of Tesco's competition would cause the beginning of the end of Lewes' town centre as we know it. If you have time you can see Tesco's documents on the LDC website and in particular look at their survey.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 8:16pm Spongebob wrote:
merlin....if we lose any of the shops such as Boots, Dixons etc, it won't be because of Tesco. I can see tesco being blamed for everything in this town.

On 30 Jan 2009 at 9:03pm i dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
As far as the town center is concerned i think that tesco's will finish off what those cllrs behind the parking scheme started. The aggressive wardens make it an unpleasant town to shop in. I don't think cllrs will admit error cos as we know they are perfuct. Let Tescos expand, more high street shops will close, less people will need to go to the high street so less cars. Less cars = less profit for the ncp.
sorted.
philx

On 30 Jan 2009 at 9:44pm Supporter wrote:
how can you say its excessive? If people didn't shop there it wouldn't make a difference. But people do and they have said they want more. If it wasn't cost viable and they couldn't get a return on that incestment Tesco would not be putting the application forward! Why build a Tesco extra when a tesco express will do?

On 31 Jan 2009 at 12:21am SHS wrote:
If LDC really cared they would ensure two things. First, adequate and free car-parking for shoppers going to the High Street (a small token given on purchase could allow exit from a gated car-park without paying). Second, at least one late-night opening of all shops once a week combined with an evening market (food + anything else from anywhere sold by anybody, not an exclusive farmer's market) on the same day. Again I agree with Sponge (you may have miss-read my previous post) about Tesco being blamed for everything.

On 31 Jan 2009 at 6:25am Why? wrote:
Why did we not approach Tesco when the aldi site became available and ask them if they would be willing to make it into a FREE car park for the town? They would have done anything to support this application and we lost out again! If they don't get bigger people will buy some non food from aldi we need to hope they do get bigger so aldi can't compete and has to leave. That is the only saviour for the pathetic little high street anyway. Otherwise we will only have charity shops, antique shops, coffee houses and estate agents!!! Hang on I'm too late!!!

On 31 Jan 2009 at 11:04am Dozer wrote:
Weren't Angel Properties planning to move the town centre to the Phoenix industrial estate anyway - with a range of shops, a cinema, art gallery, restaurants. Or were they just planning to put up 700 cheap flats and make a killing on people's naive faith in property developers?

On 31 Jan 2009 at 5:56pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I wouldn't mind Tesco having the extension if they were going to use it for food, but it'll be just more and more non-food items; the profit margins on those is much higher.
When Tescos first opened in Lewes they sold very little in the way of non-food or household goods. Then bit by bit, they crept in - what was a few racks of tights is now practically an aisle of hosiery and underwear, there are post and pans, gardening stuff, books, tons of stationery and now they're selling tvs and printers. If they cleared all this stuff out, they wouldn't need the bloody extension to meet people's food shopping needs.
Every book, packet of envelopes and pair of pants bought in Tescos is a sale lost to a high street shop. They already get the lion's share of all the money spent in Lewes, how much more do they want, for heaven's sake?

On 31 Jan 2009 at 6:44pm Spongebob wrote:
So tell us Annette, Where can i go for a pair of pants for myself (42 year old male) in Lewes high street ?
I personally don't give a monkeys chuff how much turnover and profit Tesos make as long as i can shop with ease and get the stuff i want for a good price. Oh, and i don't have to pay to park in Tesco either !!!
i walked up the Cliffe today and up the high street and it has NOTHING to offer the "normal" person. If it wasn't for the banks and post office, i doubt i'd need to go there again.

On 31 Jan 2009 at 8:50pm Pants Purchaser wrote:
I always purchase my pants from Wards at the top of School Hill

On 1 Feb 2009 at 1:30pm s.oliver wrote:
At the end of the day its about choice.
Yes it is about choice. What you don't seem to understand is that Tesco's is a business not a philosphy. If they could occupy every shop in the town to create profit for themselves, and their shareholders, they would. And who could blame them. I am sure you understand that no business wants competitors, and that includes tesco's. So how are you going to ensure choice, if a massive international chainstore, with unlimited buying power, and questionable pricing policies, is allowed unfetterd access to this fragile local economy?
"I agree with spongebob" I am sorry that you found reading everyones posts again so boring. I am sure we will all try to be more exciting in future. Perhaps you could offer to help Webby to deal with the occassional mistakes made by us old plebs when trying to cut and paste.

On 1 Feb 2009 at 2:00pm Spongebob wrote:
I don't give a monkeys if tescos is a business, charity or a member of the mourmons. As long as people can get what they want, when they want and at a price they want, i really don't care how much profit it makes or what its turnover is.
If the high street doesn't deliver the stuff that people want to buy, it'll go belly up with or without Tescos.
I find it hard to believe that people are trying to defend our wonderful high street when all it has to offer, apart from half a dozen bigger stores, is a street full of antique shops, hairdressers and over priced cafes.

On 1 Feb 2009 at 3:37pm SHS wrote:
... which in any case are closed when the majority of us get back from work.

On 1 Feb 2009 at 9:23pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
What, not Hugh Rae's?

On 6 Feb 2009 at 10:45am Frak wrote:
Anyone noticed that since Christmas, Tesco prices have just gone up and up.

On 7 Feb 2009 at 6:06pm No wrote:
Nope? We love Tesco. Anyone noticed that since before Christmas the town centre is bloody expensive!!

On 24 Feb 2009 at 12:59pm Frak wrote:
It wasn't a comparison, more a comment on how companies have theier deals over christmas, and then afterwards put the prices up a bit more than what they were before the special offers.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

lewes railway land 76:132
lewes railway land

You could dig this stuff up with a teaspoon without breaking a sweat Nancy, pretty sad you're obviously a Boris fan. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy