Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Tesco Value

On 27 Sep 2007 at 3:39pm Lewesianne wrote:
I asked Tesco in Lewes once, why their blue stripe stuff is cheap and they said that mostly it's because the factory who supplies them has simply run out of designer packaging so they used the boring blue stripe one. If you look at the ingredients of Bisto instant gravy granuals, and then Tesco value, the Bisto one has loads of additives 'n crap but the value one has just pure ingredients and tastes the same. (Not that I can imagine Chav browsing over gravy granuals!!)
Also, the value white bread is mostly really nice and the best for toasting. I know people (especially snobby ones in Lewes) who are too embarrassed to put blue stripes in their trolleys so they'd much rather spend another third on shopping just to have pretty packaging in their larders and appear wealthier. Hair conditioner is another good one.
Any feedback? Ooooh....and the tesco value chocolate sandwich bars are identical to Penguins and the value dishwasher tablets are identical to their own brand but about half the price. AND.... I could go on....
Their mature cheddar is a bit mank though. Asda's value tastes just like Cathedral City!!!
And why is it that all the staff in Tesco, Lewes are SSSSOOOOO miserable? Always moaning to eachother about their sh...y jobs and the management who are never around. Tesco Lewes is not a happy place to work, I hear.

On 27 Sep 2007 at 4:57pm Lewes Yob wrote:
Apart from coffee and bread....which must be top stuff, i go for anything "value"

On 27 Sep 2007 at 10:56pm Smiler wrote:
I whole heartedly agree about the staff. They come across as such miserable ill mannered bunch which seems to have got much worse since Waitrose opened and the staff there are fantastic.

On 28 Sep 2007 at 1:59am expat two wrote:
The 'Value' range is one of those marketing tricks. The philosophy being that most people, not just Lewes snobs, will baulk at being seen with an obviously cheap product and will go for the relatively upmarket option. The 'Value' range is simply standard product re-packaged and unrealistically repriced to lull you into the idea you're a sophisticated and discerning consumer, and as long as you think that, you're a subconsciously contented customer who will probably want to revisit Tescos.
As far as Tesco's is concerned, the Value range isn't meant to be sold, they're mostly loss leaders. Try not to buy too much of this range though, you'll only diminish convicted fraudster Shirley Porter's multi billion pound inheritence.
I bought a jar of generically packaged sun dried tomatoes in olive oil last month (here in NZ) but I seem to be the only one who thinks thats even remotely funny.

On 28 Sep 2007 at 9:01am Geoff wrote:
The co-op, Iceland and Lidls are my favourite grocery stores, for value for money, quality and service. You can buy so much for so little pence. if you want pre packed and frozen foods to keep you healthy with bright eyes and a wet nose, please visit the above stores.

On 28 Sep 2007 at 9:07am Mystic mog wrote:
Their vaulue baked beans are great, especially at 10p or so a tin. I would disagree with you comments on demographics and who buys value stuff. I cannot help looking at peoples choice of groceries when at the check-out. I am often surprised by the people who buy "brands" when they could buy the value stuff and save considerable money. If you have kids and are buying beans why buy the most expensive? Use the savings on more important stuff for the kids.

On 28 Sep 2007 at 3:38pm Geoff wrote:
Thats right, save, save, save. I think all grocery stores should have prepacked, microwaveable fast food rubbish, for the good of the nation, especially the children. Then spend all the money Iv'e saved on ME.

On 28 Sep 2007 at 8:35pm bertie wrote:
get a life

On 28 Sep 2007 at 9:08pm Geogff wrote:
Ooohhh. Bertie with handbags and 20 paces.

On 29 Sep 2007 at 6:16pm Mark wrote:
you really are a sad individual Geoff.

On 30 Sep 2007 at 4:55pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for in supermarkets. My own experience in Tesco's (except the value frozen fishcakes) has taught me not to shop there as it is false economy. The fruit and veg are over-ripe, the prepared foods are slimey and tasteless etc etc. When I have shopped there in the past I have ended up putting most of the stuff in the bin.
Waitrose however.............yum, yum, yum!

On 1 Oct 2007 at 7:32am milly wrote:
Waitrose offers good food yes, but at the prices they charge who can afford to shop there.

On 1 Oct 2007 at 11:14am Geoff wrote:
Mark. You realy shouldn't presume to know whether someone needs a life or not, especially as you don't know me from Adam. You obviously do not understand irony or sarcasm and a little bit of that in a forum isn't a bad thing. As well as trying to judge my character without even knowing me, you clearly don't understand the British sense of humour. This forum is obviously above your head.

On 1 Oct 2007 at 12:40pm Lewes yob wrote:
Another piece of "irony" and "sarcasm" for you Geoff.....go away you tedious little s**t

On 1 Oct 2007 at 2:10pm Geoff wrote:
To Lewis yob and Mark, if you can't handle a bit of friendly banter on a forum without losing it, thats your problem. Your pea brained insults don't concern me. "Go away you tedious little s**t" isn't irony or sarcasm. I think thats where your yob of a pea brain comes in.
Your'e right Milly, Waitrose has got some very good stuff, a little pricey, yes. I go there mostly for the wine.

On 1 Oct 2007 at 2:39pm Lewes yob wrote:
Well isn't that ironic Geoff

On 1 Oct 2007 at 7:57pm MC wrote:
I go to Waitrose to wine too.
MC

On 2 Oct 2007 at 11:31am Jonathan Spencer wrote:
my feeling is Tescos has gone a bit downhill since it first opened, the cooperative aspect of waitrose, in that they share the profits means each individual working there is nearly always willing to help, so the service is excellent.
On price I did alternate shops in tesco and waitrose for a few weeks and found the prices balanced out. Even buying Tesco Value on a number of things, I soon found some of their others stuff was quite expensive and the quality not that good.
I must say when I go to Seaford, I like the food and prices in Morrisons.
Has anyone tried www.mysupermarket.co.uk which allows you to fill your basket with your usual shopping and then compare across 4 supermarkets ( It also does a health comparison for you! )
Didn't the Grocer Magazine used to do abasket of 33 items it compared across supermarkets...not that weall regularly subscribe to it, i wonder if its online.

On 2 Oct 2007 at 6:32pm beatrice wrote:
yes the Grocer still does a weekly list of the prices of 33 most commonly brought items and compares the prices and the service throughout the major supermarkets.
Incidently, Morrisons and Asda usually come out on top in terms of price - no suprise there i don't think.

On 8 Oct 2007 at 11:40pm lopster wrote:
is Chav no longer out there? a whole thread started on all things blue stripey and no call for tax free blue stripey vodka from its chief advocate - you were even mentioned at the start sir, where is our cheeky chavvie?

On 12 Oct 2007 at 5:31pm Lewesianne wrote:
Yes, come back Chav, I joined this forum because of you. Hmmm............Perhaps that's why he left!!!!

On 16 Oct 2007 at 11:14am Keeshond8 wrote:
I think Tesco's vegetable selection is extremely good but the quality variable. I have to agree that the staff look less than happy, particularly on the checkouts. I received no verbal communication whatsoever before or after purchase from a woman who just stared into space, sighing as I presented my debit card. Not a good atmosphere; so different from Waitrose. In a different league is Bill's where the fruit and veg. are in some instances cheaper than either supermarket. Good for the brain, too, Mark, Bertie and Lewes yob.

On 16 Mar 2008 at 5:00pm megatrendsZ wrote:
Hello All
Im New...

On 22 Jan 2009 at 4:10am Caskiniakipse wrote:
Nothing seems to be easier than seeing someone whom you can help but not helping.
I suggest we start giving it a try. Give love to the ones that need it.
God will appreciate it.

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Arched gateway 5:132
Arched gateway

It's a long time since the U.S.was the only outpost of freedom from the tyrannical rule of Europe. The usury mongers soon got... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell