Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Tesco Approved

On 7 Apr 2010 at 6:22pm Giles wrote:
Tesco was Approved at Committee 6-3.

On 7 Apr 2010 at 6:30pm Lower class wrote:
Hahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahaha

On 7 Apr 2010 at 6:32pm Bobby wrote:
A great result for the normal sensible Lewesian. So sod off all you DFLs, you lost!

On 7 Apr 2010 at 6:46pm SHS wrote:
This was carefully planned so that the parking scheme could continue and all future problems will be blamed instead on Tesco's expansion. How much money do LDC/ESCC get for allowing this? I thought I read a figure of £350,000 in the Sexpress.

On 7 Apr 2010 at 6:57pm Can't wait..... wrote:
Hoorah!!!!!!

On 7 Apr 2010 at 6:58pm Clifford wrote:
Some people on LDC will be getting more than double points on their clubcard.

On 7 Apr 2010 at 7:00pm Very careful shopper wrote:
A victory for choice. Those who want to go to tescos can and those that don't can go elsewhere. Great news.

On 7 Apr 2010 at 7:08pm Mr Change wrote:
A victory for capitalist arrogant fascists more like, I don't know how you people sleep at night, with the exception of Clifford!

On 7 Apr 2010 at 8:00pm I sleep... wrote:
Very well thank you, I am a hard working, honest, tax paying member of this town and like to have the choice to shop wherever the mood takes me. What is there for me to feel bad about then?

On 7 Apr 2010 at 8:57pm Mungo wrote:
Mr Change and Clifford, I can just picture the 2 of you sitting cross legged on the floor in the common room at Sussex university drinking green tea.
To use the word fascist in a conversation like this is vile and says a great deal more about you than it does the other contributors.

On 7 Apr 2010 at 9:49pm Prick Stein wrote:
Mr Changes clothes i imagine are free trade grown by peruvian farmers and stitched by hand javan organic seamstesses! But seriously, why get so wound up, you dont have to shop there if you dont want to! I find Mr Change more repugnantly fascist in wanting to impose his 'trendy' views on everyone else. FOAD!

On 8 Apr 2010 at 2:00am Ed Can Do wrote:
I honestly don't think it'll affect me at all. The expanded bit is selling pharmacuticals, cds and clothes right? Well I get my prescritptions sent from the docs to Boots so I'll carry on doing that, I buy my music online and at the risk of sounding snobbish, I doubt there'll be much in there clothes section I'd be interested in, TK Maxx in Brighton is hilariously cheap as it is and with no kids, I don't buy clothes so often that going to Brighton for them is an inconvenience.

I do hope this doesn't mean they'll be closing the small car park down past Homebase though, it's the best place to park if you have to go to Tesco on a Saturday when it's busy as very few people seem to know it's there.

On 8 Apr 2010 at 8:14am Clifford wrote:
Mungo wrote: 'To use the word fascist in a conversation like this is vile and says a great deal more about you than it does the other contributors.'

Mungo, you may have noticed that i didn't use the word 'fascist'. But you realise that to rush to the defence of a tax-dodging multi-national probably says more about you than it does about the people you are criticising.

On 8 Apr 2010 at 10:21am Mr Change wrote:
Mungo, For the record I don't drink tea and I didn't go to university, yes it is possible to have principals and moral standards even if you're not privileged enough to go to uni, you should try it. And don't give me the ?you should be nice to people line', I have started several threads on this web site and in the main I put my case forward with thought, consideration and evidence, most of the time most people simply take the piss and hurl abuse, and on occasion I hurl a bit back, plus I am not the type to get offended by peoples inability to have a constructive, intelligent discussion, unlike Prick, who is simply a Prick!

On 8 Apr 2010 at 10:23am Prick Stein wrote:
Steady old chap!

On 8 Apr 2010 at 10:34am Clifford wrote:
Yes, steady on Mr Change. Mr Stein may have a few odd ideas but he can be very funny sometimes.

On 8 Apr 2010 at 11:14am Mr Change wrote:
Prick, When you end your last post directed at me 'FOAD' and I belive you also metioned in another thread that I should 'Boycott life' you are hardly in a position to suggest I should refrain from having a pop at you.

On 8 Apr 2010 at 11:32am Lavender wrote:
Isn't the weather lovely...spring flowers in the hedgerows, spring lambs in the fields and the promise of better weather to come...

On 8 Apr 2010 at 11:46am Mr Change wrote:
lol, Good work Lavender, and relaxxxxxxx....

On 8 Apr 2010 at 12:44pm Prick Stein wrote:
I may have gone overboard with FOAD, sorry Mr Change. You are a bit silly however!

On 8 Apr 2010 at 2:33pm Windows wrote:
The way things are going there will be only one choice... Tesco's! well more fool the lot of you. Not that anybody would have been able to stop a massive company like Tesco's from doing a deal with LDC.
Its a shame that the average joe will go to one shop to buy all the things they need. And then everyone will eat the same, drink the same, and wear the same.
Robots?

On 8 Apr 2010 at 2:43pm Prick Stein wrote:
Informed consumers able to make adult decisions about where to shop?

On 8 Apr 2010 at 3:44pm Lavender wrote:
I think most of us are capable of using our brains to decide what is best for us and our families.

On 9 Apr 2010 at 6:42pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Great shame. I might still buy my bread in there, because it's nice bread, but I vow to get everything else in Waitrose and independent shops where possible.

On 9 Apr 2010 at 7:09pm Leveller wrote:
ATC, what a hypocrite you are.

On 9 Apr 2010 at 10:07pm long term memory wrote:
Who else remembers the shop where 'Bill's' is now, the shop that had to close down when 'Safeway' came to town... I love it when the 'worm' turns I wonder If you will all hate 'Bill's ' so much If ( and when) he becomes a big multiple.

On 10 Apr 2010 at 2:13am Lopster wrote:
Tescos expansion will kill whats left of Lewes - an out of town trading-park sized superstore should not be feasible in a small market town particularly one sited within a national park - it will encourage shopppers from a 30 mile radius to come, use tesco, and drive home - NOT use the rest of the towns facilities, force parking charges up, close small shops - great for the environment -great for Lewes those pro Tesco expansion need their heads examining

On 10 Apr 2010 at 6:18am leveller wrote:
You know all these people who will be coming from a 30 mile radius personally Lopster ? You actually know for a FACT that they will just drive home and not walk into the high street ? Presently, many people go OUT of the town to do their shopping because there is absolutely no choice in Lewes for the majority of people. So when they go to Uckfield, Tun Wells, B Hill, Crowborough etc etc, they use their high streets rather than ours.

Lewes high street will kill itself by not offering the choice and with the constant opening of hobby shops.

So far, none of the antis (NIMBY's) have come up with a suitable excuse about which shops will be affected by this expansion and why. Those who are anti tescos need their heads examining.

On 10 Apr 2010 at 1:30pm Mr Change wrote:
LTM, For starters if Bill's get that big and operate the way Tesco do, then yes I will be moaning just as much, and Leveller what are you talking about, before Tesco arrived there were plenty of independent grocers, butchers, bakers and more in Lewes, they have mostly had to close because of Tesco, ultimately people are lazy and like the one stop shop, and even if they can only get half the produce they buy cheaper there, they will pay more for the rest because they can't be bothered to walk into town for it. We don't need to come up with excuses for anything, the fact is massive stores that sell everything positioned just outside the town centre kill town centre's, this is not just Lewes it has happened all over the country, and Tesco are the worst offender in the way they deliberately operate to get most customers and therefore most profit, in the long term this is the effect it has. I chose not to shop at Tesco because I don't agree with the way they approach business and I think it is bad for local business and communities.

On 10 Apr 2010 at 3:46pm Parking Meter wrote:
Finally!!!!!!!
Some where to buy a pair of jeans in the town that doesnt cost £70 !!!!! some where for the "normal" people to shop in town, and have enough left for the bus home.
Cant see how this Tescos expansion will do any harm to the pretencious shops in Lewes.
People opposing it need to get over themselves... change is good for the town, and god knows this town needs it!!!!!

On 10 Apr 2010 at 6:51pm Lopster wrote:
so expansion of Tesco's is classified as CHANGE now is it?
and that is good?
get some consistency in you arguments - Tesco's are a loathsome, unethical company - no "leveller(?)" I don't know them personally did I even imply that? - a market Town is NOT suitable for the siting of an Out-of-town superstore - simpe

On 10 Apr 2010 at 7:22pm leveller wrote:
You just seem to know a lot about all these people, or are you just guessing that they will come from far and wide then disappear into the ether ?
Also Lopster, you refer to Lewes as a "market town". Well apart from a weekly boot fair and a once a month, hideously over priced farmers market, i think the "market town" tag should now be buried.

On 11 Apr 2010 at 1:30am Long Distance Whelker wrote:
I'm anti-Tesco's full stop. If there is one supermarket that has caused the the destruction of the archetypal British village/town high street it is Tesco's.
Butchers, bakers, chemists, petrol stations, fishmongers, greengrocers are the first affected, then clothing, and music/video shops.
Every little helps destroy all that we love about our communities - I say BOYCOTT Tesco's (I certainly will be).
And yes, Lewes is the Market town of Sussex, so it would be wise for those unfaniliar with the concept of market town to google it

On 11 Apr 2010 at 10:21am Poppycock! wrote:
It isn't supermarkets that have changed all of these things, it's simply modern living. It was fine when the wife used to be at home looking after the children, baking everything fresh and shopping daily but it just isn't like that anymore.
People are all for working mum's and equality but don't seem to realise that everything has to change to accomodate modern living, you just have to get yourselves up to date and live with it or bury your head in the sand and stay in the past!

On 11 Apr 2010 at 10:36am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I really don't get what the great attraction is with Tesco's. Imo it's only really cheap if you buy their own brand stripey range, many branded goods are no cheaper than in Sainsburys or Waitrose.
Their own brand stuff is largely crap, ime, and not worth buying (except for the finished on the premises bread). Their meat is dreadful and fish only passable. Their fruit and veg isn't bad, but I have yet to buy a good apple from there and the only tomatoes that have decent flavour are the expensive vine-ripened jobbies, so it's actually cheaper to go to Waitrose where their basic ones are pretty tasty.
I'd be surprised if their cheap jeans were any good, although I concede that quality may be less of an issue for kids' clothes where they're likely to be outgrown before outworn. Of course, I can't speak for the quality of their cheap pants, so beloved of our dear Spongebob. They don't go up to my size.

On 11 Apr 2010 at 10:54pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I agree with you completely ACT. But I really didn't need to know what a fat arse you've got !.

On 12 Apr 2010 at 4:50pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
Tesco is indicative of the way society has changed, if the general populos wasn't so rushed all the time they could go to seperate Butchers, Bakers and Old Candlestick Makers. They simply give people another option, and it's not Tesco that destroys the small business it's their customers. So we can argue all we like about them, it's down to the buying public to support local shops if they aren't too busy to spend some time on their shopping.

On 13 Apr 2010 at 4:42pm not from around here wrote:
I haven't got a strong opinion one way or the other on this whole Tesco thing but some of the comments on here are really extreme - and interestingly most of the extreme comments come from the 'anti tesco' brigade. I suppose it's frustration on their part that they can't have what they want.
Some posters have made the point that Tesco's are evil because all they want to do is get as many customers and as much profit as possible - umm, isn't that what a business is supposed to do? Even independent shops have to make *gasp* profits.
The fact is there are arguments on both sides but the anti brigade manages to alienate most people with their extreme views (like transition town, lewes pound etc, etc). Large companies like Tesco's do often use their muscle unfairly but it's also a fact that most people prefer doing all their shopping in one place. Most families don't have enough time to visit 5-10 different shops just to get their weekly shop.
Personally I do like a nice high street with independent shops but I don't see how you can FORCE people to shop there.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 6:53pm Mother wrote:
I am so sorry to be a late contributor to this, but I was against the expansion for a number of reasons but changed my mind out of pure bloody mindedness of the biased polls, votes, discussions of do good organisations (including you lot, Viva Lewes).
Dont push the Sussex man (or woman!) in a corner.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 8:13pm Smiler wrote:
I like your attitude "Mother" ;-)

On 18 Apr 2010 at 4:20pm not from around here wrote:
For anybody in any doubt about the kind of people involved in the 'anti tesco expansion' movement have a look at the facebook profile called:
"We'll do whatever it takes to stop Tesco expansion in Lewes"
What an unpleasant bunch of people they are, and very arrogant too. They don't like the fact that it's been approved and will take any action (including law-breaking it says) to achieve their aims. How to score an own-goal!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

rye bonfire badge 103:132
rye bonfire badge

Get a cat? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington