Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Tax evading offshore owners of Lewes and area

On 14 Sep 2015 at 1:37am StingerX7 wrote:
An incredible investigation across the whole country by private Eye magazine has revealed where offshore companies who don't pay tax have property or land in Lewes. The big one is Santon, who are based in Jersey (where there is less of a monetary chill factor). Check it out on their website.

Check it out here »
On 14 Sep 2015 at 3:24am Eagle eye wrote:
Well spotted.
On 14 Sep 2015 at 6:35am Duh! wrote:
Yes but if you read it carefully it's inward investment money coming in , that could go anywhere , into this country , paying tax in their own country anything wrong with that ?
On 14 Sep 2015 at 7:49am xplorer1 wrote:
And are they evading or avoiding tax? One's illegal, the other sensible.
On 14 Sep 2015 at 10:29am ClicketyYak wrote:
No. One's illegal, the other's morally wrong.
On 14 Sep 2015 at 11:58am Zebedee wrote:
Lord Monk Bretton's Conyboro estate (Barcombe / Chailey area) is managed wholly through an offshore fund based in Jersey. No surprise there then.
On 14 Sep 2015 at 1:52pm xplorer1 wrote:
Clickety Yack, should I then arrange my affairs so as to pay the most tax possible? Some proportion of the most possible? Which proportion? Perhaps one set by the Chancellor as part of the budget? Should I not buy a premium bond, a National Savings certificate, or open an ISA? Perhaps I shouldn't write a will?
On 14 Sep 2015 at 3:02pm ClicketyYak wrote:
Xplorer1 - as long as you pay your taxes you can do whatever you wish with the rest of your money. Can you imagine a world where we didn't pay any tax. Who would pay for schools, roads, hospitals, emergency services etc. etc.
My point wasn't really about individuals but about corporations who make vast wealth and the board cream off millions however they're not prepared to pay anything towards the public services.
On 14 Sep 2015 at 3:32pm SHS wrote:
Corporations employ people who then claim few if any state benefits and pay taxes. Profits go to shareholders and these same shareholders are often savings and pension funds, giving back money to the man in the street. Yes, some executives earn far too much money (including some executives of the much-in-vogue charities and social enterprises), a few executives do not deserve such huge rewards but let's keep all this in perspective. I'm fed up with all this anti-corporation and anti-profit talk. England needs business, the generators of everything material that we have and the heart of the economy. No business = no jobs. The govt could certainly increase corporate taxation but then many companies would simply go elsewhere to manufacture cars, refine oil, knit cardigans and, er, print money.
On 14 Sep 2015 at 5:10pm Badger wrote:
I think if you don't pay tax (either through evasion or avoidance) you shouldn't have access to any public services including the NHS.
Funny how people pride themselves on avoiding paying their taxes, we're not living in a tv Western with gunslingers and outlaws!
Corporations paying their tax? I think you'd be surprised at how many use 'loopholes' not to pay full employee contributions in terms of National insurance, draining the public pension fund, amongst other services, even further.
It really sickens me when tax evaders and avoiders make their profit from the public sector. Just look at the privately owned buy to let housing market and its drain on public money via housing benefit.

On 14 Sep 2015 at 5:38pm Taff wrote:
Maybe HMG representatives have fingers in these overseas pies? Why else would it be allowed to happen? A sealed system is long time coming after all!
On 14 Sep 2015 at 6:53pm xplorer1 wrote:
Badger, if your comments are directed at me, I don't understand what you're saying. I do pay my taxes, quite happily, for the obvious reasons of providing for an organised society. I do avoid paying taxes where I can do so - using ISA's, National Savings and so on, and keeping within allowances (e.g. capital gains tax). Am I a naughty boy for doing so, and - as I said in my opening post - should I arrange my affairs so as to maximise the tax I pay? I could always just write a cheque to the Exchequer, giving them some or all of my disposable income, I suppose. What do you think?
On 14 Sep 2015 at 7:24pm Badger wrote:
Xplorer1, I have seen some extreme cases of tax avoidance by corporations and individuals working in the City. Some of these people do take pride, and brag about their tax avoidance antics, but then make use of the public services that they have not fairly contributed towards. This is what I object to. It's a very greedy and selfish form of having their cake and eating it.

On 14 Sep 2015 at 7:56pm Kay Mannilander wrote:
I thought Monk Bretton sold Conyboro years and years ago.

On 14 Sep 2015 at 10:25pm Zebedee wrote:
Not at all Kay. Look to recent planning applications for the estate. You'll see that Lord Monk Bretton is the owner. However the applications indicate that the estate is attempting to put things straight before selling, and the main estate house and outbuildings has been put on the market so it look as if Swiss resident John Charles Dodson, the 3rd Baron Monk Bretton is intending to sell the estate before he shuffles off this mortal coil (an event due quite soon). You can only guess at the state of affairs within his family.
On 14 Sep 2015 at 11:00pm King of Sussex wrote:
So, if like Santos and monkbrook, I rent a forwarding address in another country, I can legally avoid taxes too?
After all, I'll be spending that money on goods and services which keeps others in work who will be paying their paye.
Presumably, it's only jealous haters of success who will stand against me.
On 15 Sep 2015 at 4:39am Zzz.. wrote:
There's a bit more to it than that KoS.
On 15 Sep 2015 at 7:07am Tithe Barn wrote:
Don't you levy tithes, KoS?

On 15 Sep 2015 at 8:11pm King of Sussex wrote:
There actually isn't any more to it than that. All you have to do is register a BVI or Cayman Island address for your shell company, pretend they've provided a service which costs more than your uk profit, hey presto! your uk business is making a loss and doesn't accrue corporation tax.
You still rely on tax funded infrastructure and services for your business, but only plebs have to pay for them.

On 16 Sep 2015 at 7:19pm StingerX7 wrote:
The point is, that not just executives but whole company profits are expatriated and not one penny supports the rightul maintenance of the whole country's infrastructure, the glue that holds everything topgether and makes life bearable. To argue that not paying these taxes is somehow good for the economy is arrant nonsense, and only some craven lackey of a thin and nasty veneer, who add nothing to the country and more, the true sense that 'we are all in it together' would argue for what is a paltry stealth of the commoneal.

On 16 Sep 2015 at 7:28pm StingerX7 wrote:
Lol- er....commonweal. Just to differentiate, commonweal=

Definitions
noun
the good of the community
another name for commonwealth

Check it out here »

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes antiques centre 53:132
Lewes antiques centre

Tom. You clearly think the answer to the question of who pays the interest to the IMF and what else it provides is interesting.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams