Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Takeaways

On 27 Mar 2017 at 7:12pm bubbles89 wrote:
Hi I'm moving to Lewes in summer can you tell me please if there are any good takeaways,,, ect will be living near the tescos thanks
On 27 Mar 2017 at 7:35pm missmaynot wrote:
I think you will find several takeaway options here in Lewes. Yummy Yummy (Chinese) is a personal favourite of mine. There is also The Golden Dragon which offers more than decent fare. There is also a handful of Indian restaurants in the centre of town. Hope this helps, welcome to Lewes!
On 27 Mar 2017 at 8:21pm bubbles89 wrote:
Thank you so much and do you have anything like chippies or kebab places
On 27 Mar 2017 at 8:38pm Piper wrote:
Bubbles did you have a look round Lewes before you decided to move here?
On 27 Mar 2017 at 8:47pm Megawhat? wrote:
Where is the golden dragon....? I'm sure all the posts about moving here are the same bored person trying to stir the pot..
Seriously though.. where is the golden dragon?
On 27 Mar 2017 at 8:50pm The Lewes Forum wrote:
Please be nice to Bubbles. Takeaways locations are not generally important when we decide to live somewhere. They are asking a perfectly normal question.
Yes there are several chippies\ kebab places.
On 27 Mar 2017 at 9:09pm Chips wrote:
At least two Kebab shops on school hill and high st and I think four chip shops, possibly more?
On 27 Mar 2017 at 9:24pm Sean wrote:
Hi bubbles89, which tesco will you be near?
On 27 Mar 2017 at 9:27pm Just me wrote:
I thought yummy yummy was closed at the moment?
There are quite a few take sways though. You'll get all the leaflets through your door.
Just had one from a place in ringmer and didn't rate it. Can't remember the name though
On 27 Mar 2017 at 10:02pm bubbles89 wrote:
Thanks everyone for your help. And I'm moving in the tescos with the aldi next to it
On 27 Mar 2017 at 10:18pm Jeff wrote:
Hello Bubbles. In my opinion the Lewes Fish Bar is the best chipper in town. Great fish n chips. Charcoal Grill does a decent chicken kebab. The Hearth does extremely fine pizza (eat in or takeaway) and Erawan for fresh home-cooked Thai food. There are many other options, but the above are my favourites. Happy chomping!
On 28 Mar 2017 at 7:06am Deja Vu wrote:
Also don't forget about McDonald's, coming soon to square near you
On 28 Mar 2017 at 9:53am bobobob wrote:
Is the MacDonalds really coming!? This seems to have been going on since when I was a kid before they even developed the area round the post office depot.
Stick a drive thru down there, make sure McDs keep the nearby area clean of rubbish from their customers and I'll happily pile into the double cheeseburgers.
On 28 Mar 2017 at 4:36pm Pedro wrote:
Hopefully McDonalds will replace Aqua.
On 28 Mar 2017 at 8:53pm Sussex Jim wrote:
The chippy in the Bottleneck ( by Westgate Street) is best for fish- very generous portions.
The Beijing in Fisher street is a good quality and reasonably priced Chinese takeaway ( but the chicken was not to good last week). The Panda Garden is not the cheapest- but the best. Yummy Yummy has closed.
The Charcoal Grill was good for kebabs; but price has gone up and service down.
I don't think Mc.D or J.D. Wetherspoon will be allowed in Lewes somehow...
On 29 Mar 2017 at 12:33pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Despite the regular claims by Jim and the other people here who would rather see Lewes preserved in a weird 1970's bubble, there are no grounds whatsoever for any of our levels of Council objecting to McDonalds just because they're McDonalds. They can object to a change of use application to a food outlet but not just to certain businesses. Indeed, with the huge footfall a chain burger joint would result in and therefor increased visitors to the town and doubtless increase in the amount of parking income generated, one would assume any Council would jump at the chance to get a McDonalds somewhere in town. McDonalds actually sued the city Council of Florence for denying them a licence because they "Didn't fit in".

That we don't have a McDonalds or similar is because nobody has tried to open a franchise here. It's not like someone at a McDonalds head office somewhere is deciding where to open new restaurants, they work on a franchise model so to have one in Lewes would require someone believing they'd make enough money to cover the ludicrously high rent and rates for a big enough premises, pay the franchise fees (Which aren't cheap) and make a decent living commensurate for the effort involved, all of which is highly unlikely in Lewes what with the proliferation of brown rice types and there being existing branches in Uckfield and Newhaven, both barely fifteen minutes drive away.

It's nothing to do with council snobbery and everything to do with basic economics.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 1:08pm Meic wrote:
I remember that McD's applied to open a branch some years ago but withdrew when they were not permitted to impose their corporate image (golden arches etc) in a conservaion area and a possibly listed building.
If they'd been willing to do as Pizza Express did they'd have been ok.
Personally I'd love to see a Nando's.
There's a Golden Dragon on Lewes Delaware, not Lewes Sussex.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Snowdrop Stairs 105:132
Snowdrop Stairs

90% of the adult population have had 1 vaccine already in the UK, with around 82% double dosed. It would come as no surprise that... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington