Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Table top for garden. Any ideas?

On 4 Jun 2011 at 7:56pm MC wrote:
I've had a large tree cut down in my garden and been left with a 28" high stump and five sections of trunk to use as stools. I want a table top to fix to the stump. My first thought was to get in touch with a joiner, carpenter or furniture maker to see if I could get one made up. I have no idea about design, materials (oak?) or who to contact. If anyone can offer any helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it.

On 4 Jun 2011 at 11:22pm David Brown wrote:
From a joiners point of view, i would go for a slatted top, maybe on a metal frame which is built around the stump.
I dont think a solid top would survive the weather, wood is a natural product, it will move around, besides, i dont think there is a glue strong enough to hold it together.
Woods like Teak, Iroko(poor mans teak), and Keruin, The slats on Brighton pier are made of Kreuin, are all good outside.
I can give you the name of a goob architectural metal company.
davidbrown123@talktalk.net

On 5 Jun 2011 at 7:58am MC wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions.
It's a substantial stump, dense and cut flat and level. Its what remains of a once lovely cedar tree. I had thought I would only need to seal the top and screw a table top to it. I had also assumed the table top would be solid, but now you've mentioned it i've noted that all the outside tables I know of have slatted tops (and are probably made of Iroku or Keruin).

On 5 Jun 2011 at 9:43am Andy wrote:
Are you still killing off the rain forests Mr B by using all these exotic woods ? I'll be giving Sting your address soon mate !!!

On 5 Jun 2011 at 10:13am Old Cynic wrote:
What about stone or slate?

On 5 Jun 2011 at 12:51pm MC wrote:
I think I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that a round table top roughly 1.3m in diameter made in either of these materials would be very expensive. I'll find a stone masons and see. A slate top would be great.
Thanks.

On 5 Jun 2011 at 3:54pm David Brown wrote:
Andy, i dont cut down the trees, i just use what im given.
Its all about demand, what we need to do is stop offering hardwoods as an alternative to pine, in the 28 years ive been a joiner, the use of these Exotic woods has gone down by a lot, the main ones we use is either Utile or Sapele, both members of the Mahogany family.
Dave

On 5 Jun 2011 at 6:21pm jrsussex wrote:
There are, in my opinion, many silly statements made about the use of timber. I am totally against such vandalism as felling huge swaths of Brazilian rain forests etc. But wood has been used by man since time began for building his home, furniture, warmth, ship building, weaponry, to produce paper and so on. I once had a man write a letter to a newspaper saying he would not use my refurbished pub as I had built the new bar using mahogany, utterly ridiculous. The point is that mankind has many legitimate uses for timber, so randomly condemning the cutting down of any tree is a rather silly point of view. Let us concentrate on the pointless destruction of the rain forests. much of which is not actually for the timber but for the land that it clears.
Didn't cavemen use wooden clubs to get themselves a wife? For the narrow minder that is a humouress remark.
MC - You do not say high braod your 28" high stump is, is it not broad enough to be the table top. properly sanded and stained I imagine it may look rather nice.

On 5 Jun 2011 at 6:38pm Andy wrote:
Well im sorry Mr B....im going to chain myself to your workshop doors and protest against the use of such wonderful woods as Elm, Oak and Stepeli(sp ?)
Pah

On 5 Jun 2011 at 6:59pm MC wrote:
The diameter if the trunk is about 450mm, not big enough for a decent able top and I'd like a top we could get our knees under.

On 5 Jun 2011 at 6:59pm jrsussex wrote:
Why do posts not appear on the home page of the forum. Let's see if this one does

On 6 Jun 2011 at 9:58pm stick cutter wrote:
MC - Yor stump and rings wont last for ever . Also watch out for sticky times when the sun comes out and the resin bubbles .
For now go with what what you want , but dont look at it as a long term feature . You could ask any local tree surgeons ,or me for extra or replacement logs to sit on . The stump will remain firmly stuck in the ground but the exposed surfaces will deteriorate . So you are going to have to consider how you want to support the table top .
P.G

On 6 Jun 2011 at 10:39pm MC wrote:
Cheers for that. I'd not considered it permanent (probably not permanent enough to warrant a stone or slate top really), but hope it will last for a good few years. Cedar is a very dense (and heavy) wood and I have wondered about cuprinoling the stumps. I've been offered a thick oak slab so I'm going to cut it into a circle, sand and oil it and then screw it to the stump for the top. At some point I hope to have some time to sit at it.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight 22:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight

He runs this country in the current vacuum of effective leadership. It's a disastrous time for it to happen. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina