Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

TV Debates

On 3 Apr 2015 at 7:13am Boris wrote:
I thought Cameron won it at a canter, followed by Clegg, who it has to be said is very good at these debates. Milliband has a problem, he is unable to back up his sound bites , people have all ready sussed out that the number of people that are unhappy with a zero hour contracts is minimal to say the least, people are sussing out that there has been no privatisation explosion in the NHS just a 2% rise from 4% to 6% in 5 years. He made it very clear last night that he doesn't want to talk about the past, every time it was bought up he stood there shaking his head, denying that Labour had done anything wrong,people aren't stupid.
The fact that the polls have Nicola Sturgen down as winner with Farage in second says to me that these tv debates are in fact a waste of time. The parties that benefit are the ones that can stand there and promise you an amazing utopia where anything you want you will get. Natillie Bennett's poicies were to be frank embarrsing, something that was reflected in last nights polls.
Personally I found the 4 smaller party candidates got in the way of sensible, realistic debate.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 7:59am voter wrote:
I thought David Cameron and Nigel Farage came off the worst. Cameron looked shifty and uneasy and tried everything to avoid talking about his future. I think he knows he doesn't have one.
I thought Natalie Bennett had the best policy's although she does not come across particularly well. Milliband looked competent and came across very well. Nick Clegg was excellent and probably the best personality. I thought it was a waste of time having SNP and the Welsh party there buts that is just my own personnal.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 8:11am Clifford wrote:
Clegg - I thought he tried the old 'we're not them' and 'we're not them' split the difference act, which doesn't work any more. He's still like a school debater playing at politics. Farage let himself be painted in an corner; I thought he was smarter than that. Cameron tried to be prime ministerial but he's essential shallowness showed through. Miliband was awkward, sincere but awkward like a bad actor. Sturgeon was impressive. Wood was also sincere, but more like a local councillor. Bennett had some good ideas but is too much of the schoolteacher.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 8:12am Brady wrote:
Cameron has good reason to look shifty. Still trying to portray himself as progressive while hiding the nastiest of Tory nastiness that they are planning to implement on an unsuspecting public. He didn't look relaxed and his rhetoric seemed false and tired. Farage showed himself to be exactly what he is, a bigot and a dim one at that. His badly judged anecdote about HIV patients coming to England cut no sway with the audience.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 8:14am Cameroon wrote:
Boris wrote: 'people are sussing out that there has been no privatisation explosion in the NHS just a 2% rise from 4% to 6% in 5 years.'

Boris, we're not stupid. From 4% to 6% is a 50% increase in private involvement, with tax and NI money going into the profits of business. It's only the beginning.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 8:26am david wrote:
Just so Cameroon. Actually it is not the current scale of the actual involvement of private business that is the issue; it is the way that the NHS has been structurally 'groomed' in order to facilitate that transition. It has been hollowed out from within. Much gleeful anticipatory hand rubbing from across the pond.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 9:18am Clifford wrote:
But the best line is in the Guardian: 'staring at the floor and shifting around uncomfortably whenever Ed Miliband turned to the camera and pulled a face like he was standing outside your bathroom window in a dirty mac.'

Check it out here »
On 3 Apr 2015 at 9:19am Voter2 wrote:
Of the two potential PMs Milliband was the winner.Cameron looked shrunken,awkward and a bit scared and out of his comfort zone.Milliband looked a bit awkward too also but sincere and competent.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 9:35am townie wrote:
Pathetic bores, the lot of you. Of course, whatever political sh1tbags you vote for, you're going to think your wonderous leader came out on top.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 9:36am Jermy Coil wrote:
If any folk are swayed by this circus then we'll get the government we deserve.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 9:49am Mavis wrote:
If Natalie Bennett was worth her salt, she would have demanded the neon light on her podium be switched off, in order to protect the planet !
On 3 Apr 2015 at 9:55am Paul Newman wrote:
Millliband`s efforts to stoke up class envy and debt denial are brutally effective. He benefits rhetorically from adopting the Tooting Popular Front politics of his core inner City Vote. Milliband is a callous operator who privately despise his voters and would do literally anything to get power.
I cannot imagine a more dangerous man at this time.
Nick Clegg impressed. His last statistic of the cost of debt £46 billion in interest and that’s at record low interest rates gave a context to the endless spending commitments of the innumerate . Cameron was error free a decent result for the incumbent and the reason Blair avoided debates for years. He will think job done , over early, now let’s start the campaign.
Overall, the choice we have was brought into focus. It is between a return of the coalition or a Labour SNP arrangement and without a significant shift in the polls it will be the latter . That we are sleep walking towards this catastrophe amazes me .
I would say to all those people thinking of voting UKIP . Farrage won the debate according to polls and yes, someone must speak for England and in the National interest and tell the truth on debt .
Your protest has been noted but it is not politically viable it is needlessly divisive and cannot be the basis of a government for all
You have it in your hands to do no less than save the country. Hold you noses if you must, but help us stop the Labour/ SNP enemy, pitiful debt addicts who will steal from you and your children and sell the country itself to fund their habit.
PS
The Comic turn
When they got to the break I asked my wife if she would like a cup of tea and she said “ I would spend more on tea” in a weird Australian accent “ I would spend more” being Nadaleez answer to everything. She and the various regional gaping beaks had no legitimate place in a national debate , (can we have Russell Brand next time
On 3 Apr 2015 at 10:08am Paul Newman wrote:
On the NHS people who really care about it care about cash not "warm words" as Nick Clegg said .If it is going to go on being treated as a source of state employment then it will soon collapse entirely.
I think we have listened for too long to the NHS Scargills. There is no union for the sick and their needs cannot go on being sacrificed
On 3 Apr 2015 at 10:37am Mark wrote:
Gordon Bennett. Nobody but Paul Newman and American healthcare providers wants to see the NHS carved up and privatised. The American model is appallingly inefficient percapita. It's vastly more expensive than free at source provision. Breathe... It's just a load of twaddle from a very anti-social man. I was disappointed by how Cameron appeared to do a fairly good job of re-inventing the story of the recession as being a product of a Labour overspend - The neo-Liberal narrative. Nothing at all to do with speculators and sub-prime mortgages.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 10:37am Clifford wrote:
Oh, there you go again Paul.

'XXX is a callous operator who privately despise his voters and would do literally anything to get power.'

Insert the name of any politician as appropriate.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 11:29am Paul 'EWTT' Newman wrote:
Farage didn't win the debate Paul. Where do you get these 'facts' from? The term 'wild conjecture' sums you up very well. UKIP are on target to get one seat. In that context they are neck and neck with the Greens who might even get two!
On 3 Apr 2015 at 11:39am RedHeartedCyclist wrote:
On Fri 3 Apr at 9:49am Mavis wrote:
If Natalie Bennett was worth her salt, she would have demanded the neon light on her podium be switched off, in order to protect the planet !
© Charlie Brooker

Check it out here »
On 3 Apr 2015 at 12:06pm Country Boy wrote:
I think it is a great shame that Nicola Sturgeon isn't English.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 12:35pm Paul Newman wrote:
Mark the US problem is not a lack of public funds which are about ordinary by international stand-rds ( about two thirds our level per cap.) They additionally have a vast private insurance industry and end up with an exceptional health spend
Neither the public or the private sections of the US work well in terms of bangs per buck because both are subject to the US legal system in which Medical Malpractice is a fact of life. The individual responsibility of and availability to redress of the US is deep into its psyche and so you are talking about unravelling a civilisation if you want to have an NHS over there.
It is not an illuminating comparison and not remotely the only one . In the UK I have outlined the impossibility of going on as we are before so I would say this . Acquaint yourself with the facts and make your suggestion. If it is “ I would spend more “ then think again until you have something that might work .What about carving up the beast as they do in France ?
The NHS does not work well, like the Police it is always producing studies showing it is fabulous but the police took a 20% funding cut and improved performance in the last term .
We need the same from the Nations largest cash guzzler and no-pone who has used it ( and been grateful for it ) thinks it is efficiently run or not be improved.

The unions cannot be the only voice NHS users and patients have to have a say as well and they want whatever works best
On 3 Apr 2015 at 3:58pm puzzled wrote:
Every time Nigel Farage mentions immigrants the opposition crawl out of their hole and say, its the immigrants that keep the national health going. Well Nigel Farage accepts this, that is why he says he has no objection to letting in immigrants providing they have got a trade. This is no different than a lot of other countries policies so why keep attacking his views. When he first started on about immigrants he was classed as a racist, but I noticed the subject of immigration is taken up by most parties because they realise it is out of control. So you narrow minded bigots listen carefully to what Nigel Farage is saying and dont be so quick to jump to conclusions.

On 3 Apr 2015 at 5:30pm Red buttocked cyclist wrote:
I need a new saddle and I don't want to be saddled with the SOT same old tories.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 6:26pm Phfellow2004 wrote:
Setting aside the domestic campaigning issues we all hear about every day like the NHS and Immigration, the enormous threats which the UK faces as result of the jihadist revolution in the Middle East and the warmongering of Putin seem to me overwhelmingly more important. We cannot hide from all this. Can anyone picture Miliband as PM negotiating with the likes of Putin and being taken seriously? Of course not because he would be like a lamb to slaughter particularly if he had his hands tied behind his back by the SNP. It was not long ago that even Obama, leader of our senior NATO partner, refused to meet
with Miliband. There is only one credible candidate to be the next PM and stand up for the UK worldwide and be respecte and he has been doing the job for the last 5 years
On 3 Apr 2015 at 6:29pm Mark wrote:
Hmm.. Lots of verbiage Mr N but no clear explanation of why you suggest adopting a more expensive form of provision. Re funding, I suspect that it might have to do with priorities. Tax cuts for the already well-off and MNCs have got to produce fall out.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 7:01pm Country Boy wrote:
Just seen the BBC news and am seriously alarmed by the lady in Lincoln who is going to vote tactically in order to give Nicola Sturgeon a chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On 3 Apr 2015 at 8:21pm Boris wrote:
Natillie Bennett and Nicola Sturgeon were preaching exactly the same polices to point where they should really have shared a podium. Talk about let them eat cake, spend, spend spend spend, spend and spend. Come on now how could any sensible person have sat there last night and thought this is how we should run our country, spending, taxing and borrowing. The irony is that if by chance they did get in ( I am aware that it's not possible in the SNP's case, but bare with me) the government that comes in behind them would have to go into an even bigger longer austerity period due to the fact that the spending that they are suggesting will bankrupt the country.
I have to say that I was disappointed with Farage. But the HIV health tourism example was very powerful and whilst everyone tried to look disgusted in their heads they were thinking WTF. That was an appalling statistic and does demonstrate very well why our NHS is forever cash poor.
Bennett and Sturgeon want an NHS that is free of the private sector. free prescriptions and they also want an open door imagration policy and free health care for all that come here. Have the people of Scotland gone mad, they can't be that stupid, can they?
Cameron didn't look shifty he and Clegg looked very confident and they had every right to. Everything they claim is backed up by fact and figure. As I said earlier Milliband can't do that, everything that he has predicted hasn't happened and he can only rely on Allistar Campbell's sound bites. That business the other day when the Labour party paniced over the 100 sig letter and quickly got a letter together them selves. The Labour letter was signed by the likes of Peter Duncan ( Blue Peter ) and Wayne Hemmingway who by the way has been outed for employing people on zero hour contracts. Are they taking the p--s, I understand that most of you aren't going to ever vote Tory but you must be so embarrassed by the Labour campaign, it is possibly the worst campaign I can ever remember, even worse than Kinnocks. They won't be able to keep this BS up for another 5 weeks, the people will work it out.
On 3 Apr 2015 at 9:40pm Paul Newman wrote:
Boris I think there are more people in the Labour Party than you might think who have been dismayed by Milliband's lurch left and Alistair Darling would be amongst them.
I had a chat with the very charming John Stockdale the eve , he was out and about, leaflet in hand and he mentioned that some Conservatives were thinking of voting for Baker on the basis that the coalition has performed well .
Its a not unreasonable line but,as I said, not for me. One problem I have is that I don`t trust the Liberals not to prop up a Labour administration or even lend crediblity to what is in fact a Labour / SNP government .
The only way to stop that is to get as many Conservatives in as possible so I shall vote Conservative

On 3 Apr 2015 at 10:30pm Ex floating voter wrote:
English Winner Milliband.English loser Cameron.Scottish winner Sturgeon.Welsh Winner.Leanne Wood.I`m English I will vote for Labour and Milliband. Milliband had some energy,Cameron looked washed out.

On 4 Apr 2015 at 8:32am Boris wrote:
I hope you do vote Labour ex floating voter, I hope that the majority on the forum vote with what apears to be their views and vote Labour or Green.
This year we should get a good indication of how many of Normans votes are tacticle.
On 4 Apr 2015 at 10:21am Normans Scrotes wrote:
Yes it`s true, Normans votes are testicle,and his head is a penis.
On 4 Apr 2015 at 12:42pm Norman's scrote wrote:
As above - grammatically corrected. Unfortunately I can't make it more witty.
On 4 Apr 2015 at 1:14pm mrs.f wrote:
However terrible Cameron is, there is no denying he came off well in the debate. I found him to surprisingly be more genuine than Miliband. As for Clegg, anything he says is patronising, lies or meaningless drivel. In my opinion sturgeon made a brilliant argument, pity she isn't english!! Some of Natalie Bennett's policies were laughable, and she came off awfully. This will no doubt get many thumbs down, but only stating my opinion!!

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Stoolball 84:132
Lewes Stoolball

I would definitely suggest that Pancetta not bother to read it, the writer is not your type at all. Just vape another and float... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina