Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

TREES

On 22 Jul 2011 at 8:05pm Jude wrote:
Anyone out there, including town/ district councillors, know or can enlighten me as to the Lewes tree planting policy - if there is one ? With three councils who might possibly have the responsibility for this, I don't know where to start looking.

On 22 Jul 2011 at 8:08pm Tango wrote:
Can't see the wood for the trees?

On 22 Jul 2011 at 8:09pm Jude wrote:
haha

On 22 Jul 2011 at 8:20pm stig of the dump wrote:
What info are you exactly after Jude. I've tried contacting the Parks dept in the past but never had any luck.

On 22 Jul 2011 at 9:48pm SHS wrote:
They have a tree felling policy, which is 'they are all dangerous and diseased so cut them down at every opportunity'. Any new trees that are planted have to be special dwarf species & varieties, the types we see on roundabouts and on garden rockeries. Instead of using trees to lower the district's carbon footprint they just reduce the use of petrol-powered leaf blowers (brush? what's that?).

On 22 Jul 2011 at 9:58pm stig of the dump wrote:
SHS, that is the biggest pile of horse poo ive read on here. Believe me, i do know about these things and you're way off the mark.

On 22 Jul 2011 at 10:05pm Dave wrote:
Contact the LDC tree officer Daniel Wynn, he will give you any help or Dan Ross teir ranger who manages areas like the railway land.

On 23 Jul 2011 at 8:19am Vesbod wrote:
I'm growing silver birches in my back garden, I don't think the LDC would mind that !

On 23 Jul 2011 at 9:33am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Silver birch are very unstable when they mature. Mind the kids playing out there.

On 23 Jul 2011 at 10:06am Jude wrote:
I'm interested in trying to get more street trees planted in Lewes. There's a definite paucity of them.

On 23 Jul 2011 at 11:32am JackieA wrote:
That last message - "silver birch are very unstable when they are mature" does it mean they are like triffids ?? Wouldn't that be cool - beautiful Silver Birches wandering round the Town perhaps they could be trained to stay in places for a while. That could be part of Lewes Council Tree Planting policy (or lack of) !!

On 23 Jul 2011 at 1:10pm stig of the dump wrote:
Absolute piffal about silver birches being unstable. If they were, every park in the land would have them chopped down for fear of limbs falling off and people getting squished.
Changing the subject slightly, has anyone seen the wonderful double flowered pomegranite next to the cancer research shop just as you go up school hill....it's awesome. Must get some cuttings.

On 23 Jul 2011 at 3:09pm Sick of more wrote:
Yes there is a policy Jude; trees must be planted with the brown curly bits in the soil,as if they are planted the other way up this would cause a problem for the pigs who search for truffles.
This is true as pigs can't fly and would be very expensive to train and would also cause more pollution.
Also HORSE chestnut trees are not a good idea as they are unSTABLE!
Time to bough out I think.

On 23 Jul 2011 at 5:28pm the old mayor wrote:
Paucity of trees !!! There's posh !!!

On 23 Jul 2011 at 6:18pm Vesbod wrote:
Thanks EBM, I'll make sure they get some councilling !! Perhaps that should make them happier and they'll stay where I planedt them and not roam off up the hill ! I wonder if they'r related to ENTS ?

On 23 Jul 2011 at 7:27pm bastian wrote:
who cut down the elder tree at the end of green passage this week,it is definately over 6 inches thick and I didn't see a permission notice.(not to mention it just being left where it fell)

On 23 Jul 2011 at 9:17pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Anyone around the Mountfield Road area, keep an eye on those trees lining the footpath to College. Some time ago I saw some lads hacking away,stopped Them and asked College who they were. TRAINEES! You can stop proceedings until help arrives.

On 24 Jul 2011 at 8:33am 'ere be monsters wrote:
I was actually being serious Vespod. Just a few weeks ago a young girl was killed in their back garden when a silver birch uprooted as she played on a swing attached to it.

On 24 Jul 2011 at 11:54am Vesbod wrote:
Ouch, didn't realise that there was a serious point to your message EBM, I'll bear that in mind as they grow. I suppose that goes for any tree with a swing on it I guess.

On 24 Jul 2011 at 5:04pm bastian wrote:
that's why after the 1987 storm the park keeper at Arundal was able to save some of the trees,the birches are so shallow rooted that they can be stood back up and re-root,beeches to i think.

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals 60:143
Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals

If you can provide statistical evidence that crime has never been so high then blame austerity and write to Maria. Having a pop... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare