Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

TESCO enlarge/Local shops

On 14 Mar 2009 at 9:16am Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
starting again as the thread belowmakes no sense whatsoever and I cannot be bothered to keep opening up individual posts to try to make sense of it

It is disgusting to think that Tesco should be able to enlarge so close to a town centre - this is NOT an out of town trading site where people drive to buy everything in a Calais style warehouse it is a large local supermarket - for the sake of Lewes it MUST NOT be allowed to expand
are those of you with opposing opinions MAD - or are you not true Lewesians (either by birth or adoption)? a curse on your souls
Discuss

On 14 Mar 2009 at 11:11am Spongebob wrote:
It is fantastic to think that Tesco should be able to enlarge so close to a town centre - this is getting close to an out of town trading site where people drive to buy everything in a Calais style warehouse it is a large local supermarket and will please a lot of people - for the sake of Lewes it MUST be allowed to expand
are those of you with opposing opinions MAD - or are you not true Lewesians (either by birth or adoption)? a curse on your souls
Discuss

On 14 Mar 2009 at 11:13am Spongebob wrote:
PS....and im yet to hear ANY arguement from the antis of high street shops that the Tescos expansion will affect or put out of business...despite me keep asking.
DISCUSS.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 4:27pm Spongebob wrote:
Well.........................are you going to "discuss" then Mr angry ?...or just light the blue touch paper and walk away.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 6:38pm Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
Patience little spineless sea creature - it won't please the local traders - it won't please NCP - it won't please me - single shops of such magnitude should not be allowed so close to a town centre, where else do you know of with a supermarket so big and yet so close to what was once a thriving local shopping area and is now full of ex-shops and charity jumble sales...

On 14 Mar 2009 at 6:54pm Spongebob wrote:
Uckfield and Burgess Hill.
Now answer my question which ive asked, but no one has answered, a dozen times.....
Which of our high street shops will be put out of business by the Tesco expansion....and WHY ?
None of the antis seem to be able to answer this, they just keep saying "it'll ruin the high street".

On 14 Mar 2009 at 7:00pm Fed Up With Topic wrote:
It would be easier to talk to a baboon!

On 14 Mar 2009 at 7:17pm Dave wrote:
La Magasin might have to close

On 14 Mar 2009 at 7:29pm Spongebob wrote:
Who ?

On 14 Mar 2009 at 8:02pm THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
Oh retarded Angry of Lewes. I don't think that proximity has anything to do with it, if perhaps to insignificant extend. Take Homebase and Tinkers hardware for example. Did Homebase ruin Tinkers? Tesco is no competition to the High Street. But Tesco is a money grabbing monopolist, crap quality for money, irresponsible vulture. It's principle and aspiration to go to sleep with a clear conscious that should us make all object against a monster out of control. Spongebob of course will disagree as he'/she's blinded and transfixed by the personal benefit and convenience without getting the bigger picture which Squarepants got to the point so precicse in the other thread. Spongebob and friends will be happy when Tesco expands but will she/he be happy when Tesco can dictate prices and terms on an even larger scale than they already do? It's not a charitable organisation so please don't be blinded. Apart from me, no one ever mentions the ALDI which we hopefully have soon and whilst it has only 850 product lines as compared with the overtrading 70,000 Tesco currently has, Tesco is sh****** its pants. Wonder why that is? So, stop that High Street thing. High Street is doomed anyway as no one needs twine but perhaps get your act together and petition against ALDI as this will be a real threat against a beloved (by some of you) Tesco. PS: Spongebob, do me a favour and have a look at ALDI in Portslade (next to Station) or Bexhill and then come back and say you want Tesco to expand.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 8:06pm THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
Oh retarded Angry of Lewes. I don't think that proximity has anything to do with it, if perhaps to insignificant extend. Take Homebase and Tinkers hardware for example. Did Homebase ruin Tinkers? Tesco is no competition to the High Street. But Tesco is a money grabbing monopolist, poor quality for money and a irresponsible vulture. It is principle and aspiration to go to sleep with a clear conscious that should us make all object against a monster out of control. Spongebob of course will disagree as he'/she's blinded and transfixed by the personal benefit and convenience without getting the bigger picture which Squarepants got to the point so precicse in the other thread. Spongebob and friends will be happy when Tesco expands but will she/he be happy when Tesco can dictate prices and terms on an even larger scale than they already do? It's not a charitable organisation so please don't be blinded like the Germans in 1933. Apart from me, no one ever mentions the ALDI which we hopefully have soon and whilst it has only 850 product lines as compared with the overtrading 70,000 Tesco currently has, Tesco is sh****** its pants. Wonder why that is? So, stop that High Street thing. High Street is doomed anyway as no one needs twine but perhaps get your act together and petition against ALDI as this will be a real threat against a beloved (by some of you) Tesco. PS: Spongebob, do me a favour and have a look at ALDI in Portslade (next to Station) or Bexhill and then come back and say you want Tesco to expand.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 8:16pm THEINTREPIDFOX wrote:
La Magasin - the one with the table (what looks like AA meetings are taking place) and a fireplace? Thanks god for a crap shop gone. Wickles, Flint and Artisans next. When the Needlemakers and Bill's (unlikely) are boarding up their windows I shall have a pint of Harvey's to celebrate.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 8:21pm IDAREYOUX wrote:
UNLEASH YOUR ANGER RETARDED OF LEWES

On 14 Mar 2009 at 9:14pm observer of nitwits wrote:
Well of course if the pubs still there!Out of town large Tescos=cheap alcohol etc etc.I rest my case.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 9:26pm cato wrote:
Well as they say Observer Of Nitwits.There none so blind etc.Banging head against brick wall also comes to mind.This has been discussed before and there were those who could not(or would not)look at the bigger picture.So I shall just wait and hope the right decision is made.

On 14 Mar 2009 at 10:54pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Spongebob, the only reason Uckfield's shopping centre isn't doing as badly as Lewes is because you can still park there for free. A lot of people from surrounding villages now go there rather than come to Lewes and it has gained from our loss. It's still full of charity shops, but because it's got a different demographic it hasn't been blighted by the likes of Winkle and Skint. And it's bigger than Lewes to start with, and they've still only got a small Tesco that doesn't sell clothes.
Burgess Hill is much bigger than Lewes and therefore not comparable.

On 15 Mar 2009 at 11:58am Spongebob wrote:
Can i just draw peoples attention to Judy Moore's letter in the Sussex Express this week.
Absolutely spot on

On 15 Mar 2009 at 2:04pm Stargazer wrote:
Yes! Her letter was bang on, at least someone in this pretentious little town has got some common sense

On 15 Mar 2009 at 10:03pm Lopster wrote:
have checked their website and if I could find her letter I would comment -as for pretentious - how about sucking on "patronising" for a few hours Stargazer?

On 16 Mar 2009 at 3:19pm A LEWES MAN wrote:
What is the problem with a shop selling twine if its making a profit and employing people then good on them.
Id rather see charity shops in the high streets than empty shops.
I'm Against tesco getting any bigger they can already sell most of the extended lines from its online store.
Why can't ALDI get a store and sell A bigger number of items if a company is willing to come to this town bring jobs it will make others tesco/ waitrose etc lower prices let the customers decide
If you dont like what a shop sells dont go in it simple

On 16 Mar 2009 at 3:37pm Spongebob wrote:
"A LEWES MAN"...you have answered all my prayers with that last statement.
When Tescos expands, if you don't like it, just don't go in there.

On 16 Mar 2009 at 5:45pm Stargazer wrote:
errmm..sorry loppy or whatever your name is but lewes has got a reputation for being pretentious. Get over it.

On 16 Mar 2009 at 7:24pm Local2 wrote:
Just to add my two cents firstly aldi has been served a "stop notice" and will not be doing anything untill they go back to there original planning for which permission was granted. They do not want to and therefor it is the same as having NO PLANNING PERMISSION. Also you can include burgess hill Tesco as an example as the lewes venture is only going to be 4% smaller which really is not much. Third on the list, if you agree uckfield is fine with a tesco then perhaps Tesco is not the problem it is the parking scheme which is not tescos issue and finally people vote with there feet. if the people of lewes don't want a bigger Tesco then it's not an issue as they won't go there anyway!

On 16 Mar 2009 at 8:47pm The Super K wrote:
Angry of Lewes (Retd)
Does the (Retd) stand for RETARDED ????
Why am I MAD just cause I want a shop in Lewes that sells mens clothing that DOESN'T cost a week pay for a T-shirt?
Lewes is dieing due to a poor parking scheme & Sky high Business Rates and Rents.
The only shops to do well in Lewes are twee potentious shops in which the DFL are happy to pay Grossly inflated prices in.
If the council want to save Lewes they HAVE to lower the Rates, Abolish the parking scheme and invite business in... Instead of complaining about their "neon" signs not being within keeping of the town!.

On 17 Mar 2009 at 7:12pm Pearlie wrote:
Boys, boys, boys. Calm down. Nobody here is mad or retarded. They all have valid points, but here's what's going to happen.
1.People that want to shop at Tesco will shop there.
2. Those that want overpriced candles, clothes that cost an arm and a leg, and other fripperies - won't.
3. Those that want budget food, with a euro twist will go to Aldi.
Simples.

On 17 Mar 2009 at 7:16pm Spongebob wrote:
Pearlie, you speak much sense. It's all about choice.

On 17 Mar 2009 at 7:18pm Local2 wrote:
Pearlie you do apart from the stop notice against aldi! So they won't be building!

On 19 Mar 2009 at 8:38pm Pearlie wrote:
Oh dear, that throws the whole cosmos into disarray, planets are being knocked out of alignment left right and centre, I'm going to have to investigate that one and check what's going on and see if we can maintain the yin and yang balance of it all!

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Mercury and Magnesium 91:132
Mercury and Magnesium

@TP - the lockdown is economically costly, but I can't even begin to think of the numbers of deaths that would have occurred had... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde