Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Swine Flu hits Lewes

On 8 Jul 2009 at 1:24pm Lets Do Lunch! wrote:
I have heard that a member of staff at one of the councils (based in Lewes)has contracted swine flu. Does anyone know which council?

On 8 Jul 2009 at 2:59pm me wrote:
The Style Council?

On 8 Jul 2009 at 3:21pm WINDOWS wrote:
No it must be a............
Sty Council????
ho ho ho

On 8 Jul 2009 at 3:32pm Spongebob wrote:
Hope you're not telling porkies !!!

On 8 Jul 2009 at 4:20pm Sam Spam wrote:
we have some oinkment here if you start scratchin'

On 8 Jul 2009 at 4:28pm Hotman wrote:
I hope this has got nothing to do with Charles Sty.... Style and his crazy get-rich-quick plans.

On 8 Jul 2009 at 5:16pm neukomer wrote:
I tried to phone them but the line was so bad all I got was crackling.
I'll get me coat....

On 8 Jul 2009 at 5:28pm Straight From The Horses wrote:
My partner just returned from Bakers and a man got some Tamiflu for his wife. It is used for the treatment of Birdflu and Swineflu. There's truth in the story. Question is whether she works for the council.

On 8 Jul 2009 at 6:27pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Given that most people display nothing worse than mild flu symptoms when they contract it, I'll not be stocking up for the armageddon just yet.

Still, with any luck this'll be a particularly virulent strain that only affects middle-managers, making County Hall about 300% better value for money once the bodies have been hauled off.

On 8 Jul 2009 at 6:40pm Spongebob wrote:
I've been told by several senior health workers that this is going to explode by the autumn.
It's probably a bit OTT but one suggested stocking up on stuff like calpol for the kids, paracetomol, dried foods such as rice and pasta and flour (for making bread etc) because if as many people get this as they expect, it's going to bring the country to its knees.

On 8 Jul 2009 at 7:40pm from the horses mouth 2 wrote:
Case has been reported here too - parents choice as to whether to send children in.................

On 8 Jul 2009 at 8:54pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Hope you all haven't thrown away that very usefull leaflet the govenment put through the door last spring. It contained such nuggets as 'how to blow your nose'. Not too patronising at all, really.

On 8 Jul 2009 at 9:27pm Wonderer wrote:
I remember that Leaflet!
It was very like the 'Protect and Survive' one that dropped through our letterboxes a few years ago.
The advice was to barrackaid (sorry,smelling pistake0 yourself in,upturn a table or mattress...Something to do with a white sheet to 'deflect' the blast.'..Ho Hum...
Am I going through SERIOUS de je vous.....

On 8 Jul 2009 at 10:00pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Yes Wonderer, the advice for surviving a 100 megaton thermo-nuclear blast was to remove all the doors in your house and make a little den out of them. I'm sure it would have worked.

On 8 Jul 2009 at 10:06pm Sam Spam wrote:
I'm taking the easy way out........BANG!

On 8 Jul 2009 at 10:15pm an OAPS wrote:
The Pig Flu leaflet's 'how to blow your nose' advice encouraged me to try and find a better use for it. As I found to my cost, the paper was shiny which explained why the 'how to wipe your ar*e' section had been left out. :|

On 8 Jul 2009 at 10:35pm Wonderer wrote:

On 9 Jul 2009 at 6:58am amanda wrote:
HI IF THERE IS S~FLU,IN LEWES, I FEEL COUNTY HALL,SHOULD LET ALL IN LEWES KNOW AS I HAVE A CHILD AT HOME,AND HE GOS TO SCHOOL IN EASTBOURNE, BUT HIS FRENDS ARE AT LEWES SCHOOLS,CAN YOU SEE WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY....... :

On 9 Jul 2009 at 8:52am Caps Lock wrote:
No, not really.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 10:27am Hotman wrote:
As well as issuing 'How to blow your nose' leaflets I've heard ESCC are recruiting teams of Nose Blowing Diversity Aides to visit people and given them support and counselling as they blow their noses.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 12:15pm Bon Viveur wrote:
Surely planning permission is required before you can contract swine flu?

On 9 Jul 2009 at 12:22pm Storm in a molehill wrote:
Is it just me or is there a certain amount of over reaction going on when it comes to swine flu. Seems to me that it is just another sort of flu, and no more dangerous than any other strain that goes around every year. Yes, a few people have died of it, but then those in the UK were also suffering from other serious illnesses, not to mention the fact that millions around the world die of 'normal' flu every winter. For the vast majority of people it is a mild flu that gets better with treatment. The word 'pandemic' itself is putting pictures in peoples minds of something terrible like the black death. It is purely a term used to describe the spread of the virus, and not how serious it is. The common cold virus after all, has spread all over the world, but that is hardly newsworthy is it ?

On 9 Jul 2009 at 12:30pm bonfirek wrote:
Hear, hear. However the press like to create a panic because it makes news and sells papers.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 12:52pm Hotman wrote:
Well bonfirek I think you've just proved you're not Spongebob - as many seemed to think.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 12:58pm Spongebob wrote:
shucks, im so pleased !!!

On 9 Jul 2009 at 1:56pm Hotman wrote:
Yes Spongebob but it means we've now got to send a christmas card to both of you instead of just one.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 2:24pm Pikelet wrote:
All you people who aren't being told anything should run for the hills. Swine flu is rampant in every corner of every school in Lewes but County Hall have made sure no news gets out by killing everyone affected. Trust me. I know these things.
(Is that enough of a panic for you?)

On 9 Jul 2009 at 2:39pm Wilhelm wrote:
Does anyone remember the hype and panic surrounding AIDS? When there was one of the first victims in Bexhill, officials came around and burnt all his belongings and the mattress he slept on five minutes after he died - similar to a public witch burning. Same with swine flu here.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 2:40pm Spongebob wrote:
Thanks hotman, i've never had a christmas card before !!!

On 9 Jul 2009 at 2:44pm Wilhelm wrote:
They sell them at Wickle

On 9 Jul 2009 at 2:59pm Roly Mo wrote:
Amanda, best you lock yourself and your kids indoors until after Christmas. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR TO ANYONE and then you will be alright.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 3:22pm Pikelet wrote:
That's very sensible advice Roly. But Christmas strikes me as dangerously soon. Surely it'd be better for Amanda to wait until Easter at least. If Tesco fail to deliver the Hot Cross buns she can be comforted by the knowledge that the rest of us are all dead.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 4:51pm Sam Spam wrote:
missed....DOH....
anyway, I was at a open-air do over the weekend and there was a pig being cooked on a huge rotating BBQ thingie...was that the council burning a swine-flu victim (a la the comment on AIDS)?...if it was then two things...1, I've probably caught it and 2, it was jolly tasty!......

On 9 Jul 2009 at 4:55pm Spongebob wrote:
Was that the "sprouts" do at Glynde ?

On 9 Jul 2009 at 7:59pm amanda wrote:
Roly mo, how silly your coment is, why can't you be more educated with what you write down. By the way i shop at waitrose......

On 9 Jul 2009 at 8:05pm Keeley wrote:
ITS JUST A DIFFERENT STRAIN OF FLU!! WHY IS THE WHOLE WORLD PANICKING!! LOL!!

On 9 Jul 2009 at 8:41pm Roly Mo wrote:
Oh Mandy, Mandy, Mandy. Have you read YOUR comment?????????? I quote
"HI IF THERE IS S~FLU,IN LEWES, I FEEL COUNTY HALL,SHOULD LET ALL IN LEWES KNOW AS I HAVE A CHILD AT HOME,AND HE GOS TO SCHOOL IN EASTBOURNE, BUT HIS FRENDS ARE AT LEWES SCHOOLS,CAN YOU SEE WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY....... :"
Now, I do believe that I am probably the more educated of the two of us. First of all, a lot of your commas are in the wrong places, "GOS", is actually spelt GOES, and you use a colon in completely the wrong place. Personally I believe that you should have used a question mark at the end of that question.
However, despite your poor english (and I suspect you did not take O'levels), your comment was probably more stupid than any I have read in a long while. As Keeley says, it is just a different strain of flu. It is not the plague.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 10:22pm amanda wrote:
YES i do have O levels and more.and we all know is a strin of flu. SO GET A LIFE.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 11:08pm Headmaster wrote:
Tut, tut Amanda, you really must pay a little more attention to your spelling and the use of capital letters. You should also meanwhile find out a few more facts before going off in the blind panic that your original post seemed to indicate. The simple fact is, if your child gets swine flu, you get some medicine from the doctor, and unless there is something else wrong with them, your children get better. What do you want County Hall to let us all know ? The names and addresses of the children with swine flu perhaps ?, so that ill informed panic merchants like you can victimise them and their families as has happened elsewhere in the country ? Great idea.

On 9 Jul 2009 at 11:20pm End Is Nigh wrote:
Well Amanada all is over - Swine flu has been in Eastbourne for at least three weeks - so your child who goes to school there (???????????????) will have been exposed and probably is responsible for infecting Lewes

On 9 Jul 2009 at 11:21pm Roly Mo wrote:
Do you have 'O' Levels or GCSE's Amanda, because there is a huge difference?

On 9 Jul 2009 at 11:48pm Engish Teacher. wrote:
AArrgghh!!!!!!!!!!!

On 10 Jul 2009 at 7:28am amanda wrote:
Not going there this was about swine flu, not me.Lets hope you dont get the flu. Wish you all the best.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Harveys Brewery 40:132
Harveys Brewery

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde