Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Sussex Police and crime commisioner.

On 5 May 2016 at 2:20pm Viv wrote:
I can find little information online apart from Videos from two independents and a UKIP candidate. Seriously, it must cost good money to do this yet apart from a polling card telling me where to go I have nothing in the way of information or even what this role entails and what good it will do me going down to the polling station and casting a vote. Somebody enlighten me please?
On 5 May 2016 at 2:33pm Polling card? wrote:
I voted a few weeks ago for Bridge Ward councillors but have had no polling card for this.Any else in the same boat?
On 5 May 2016 at 2:40pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Yep. No polling card. It's a total waste of money - I'd rather see the funding spent on more police.
On 5 May 2016 at 4:09pm Phfellow2004 wrote:
It would be extremely unusual for those registered on the Electoral Roll not to receive a Polling Card. Best to turn up at your usual Polling Station and ask to vote and perhaps take some ID with you.
There has been quite a lot of publicity in the media about each of the Candidates and some will have managed to deliver a leaflet explaining their credentials and suitability to undertake this important role. This is a role to represent the community and hold the Chief Constable and the Sussex Police service to account.
Police and Crime Commissioners were introduced 4 years ago and there have been some successes and some disappointments. I believe that Sussex was extremely fortunate in electing Katy Bourne and she enjoys the reputation of being one of the successes in England. For me, I think she thoroughly deserves to be re-elected allowing her to continue her most competent service to the community and keeping us safe.
On 5 May 2016 at 5:26pm Linda Drabble wrote:
Katy Bourne is paid 85,000 a year, enough to pay for 3 police officers. Her office costs over 800,000 a year to run. I am still waiting for the evidence that the Sussex Police service is better now than the previous system of the Chief Constable being accountable to a panel of elected councillors. Tory cuts to police funding are having serious consequences for the service ,while PCC's enjoy huge salaries.
On 5 May 2016 at 6:04pm Dexter wrote:
If you haven't already, please spoil your ballot paper. Preferably with a message letting these jackasses know exactly what you think of this appaling waste of money and blatant politicisation of what should be, in any civilised country, an apolitcal position.
On 5 May 2016 at 6:32pm A Person wrote:
In what way do PCCs represent the community? They're not allowed to hear from the blasted community, unless you want to complain about the Chief Constable.

I also have very profound misgivings about creating a role which is won by election and which is rooted in the political system. The police service needs to be independent of party political influence and this fatally undermines that.
On 5 May 2016 at 6:55pm Edward wrote:
@Phfellow2004 You sound exactly like the Tory who had a letter published in the Sussex Express recently praising the current incumbent to the skies, no relation, non political? I have spoiled my ballot paper - a waste of time and money.
On 5 May 2016 at 7:32pm Nevillman wrote:
To be fair, I didn't have to search for long to find out what each candidate said. Green looked like the only one who stood out to me. Please don't bother tell me how wrong I am on here. Just go and vote for someone else.
On 5 May 2016 at 7:36pm Razor wrote:
Kate can feel my collar anytime,cushty,not like those other muppets.
On 5 May 2016 at 7:56pm sensible wrote:
I too spoiled my ballot paper. I consider this a positive action; it certainly doesn't reflect apathy. I am appalled at this politicisation. Thank you Linda
Drabble for the telling facts and figures.
On 5 May 2016 at 8:05pm trooper wrote:
A criminal waste of time ,money and space for what is nothing more than a spy for the Home Secretary. This is a complete insult to police officers who have had a long career in the police in serving the public and fighting crime and what do they get a civilian political appointment with sweeping powers who is answerable to his/her political masters only.
@Phphellow 2004. Oh dear Oh dear, you really need help.
On 5 May 2016 at 8:09pm Old Malling wrote:
I'm completely opposed to the idea of a political police and crime commissioner so didn't vote. I'm never sure whether not voting helps more or less than a spoilt ballot paper? Surely if nobody turns up to vote they'll eventually have to abandon the whole thing?
On 6 May 2016 at 5:48am Local wrote:
Agreed, but that also goes for govt. elections? The Tories won the last election by being chosen by less than 1 in 4 of us.
Less than a quarter of us think they are capable of doing the job, yet they have the mandate. (And royally screwing it up I might add, thoroughly vindicating the overwhelming majority of us.)

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Castle view 19:132
Castle view

QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo