Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Sussex Express-

On 12 Sep 2010 at 5:02pm Newmania wrote:
I picked up the Sussex Express yesterday. Now I am only asking why? Why does this area have the worst local newspaper in the solar system ? Why does it fill half the letters page with a a single wind bag missive whinging about some parking issue? The cover of local events is banal and even the best bit ( Sussex Rouser) could be a lot better.It is unforgivably bloody awful. Why?
Lewes is a lively place full of opinions and different types of people rubbing along. If the hustings at the last general election are to be judged by it is a politically literate area with plenty of competing loyalties .It has arty types , writers and interesting souls of all kinds .If you judged by the Sussex Express you would think we lived in a retirement theme park in which any unhealthy excitement weas verboten
I know that local Newspapers are under pressure but if this is the best they can do I`d suggest putting it out of its misery.

On 12 Sep 2010 at 5:41pm Grunge wrote:
There you are, Newmania! Why don't you offer your services? You could liven things up.

On 12 Sep 2010 at 6:08pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
'and even the best bit ( Sussex Rouser)' I was starting to agree with you until you wrote that.

On 12 Sep 2010 at 9:57pm Nick Robinson wrote:
I'm nothing to do with Johnston Press, but I can tell you that there have most certinly been particularly difficult pressures on senior editorial staff at the Sussex Express during past weeks. Having said that - and I've said this here before - I think that overall it has hugely improved in recent months. You can't really blame any paper for it's letters page, which is always going to be a window on a given section of its readers rather than any sort of reflection of its own editorial prowess. And in any event, if you think the paper has missed a story or has misunderstood an event, it's the simplest thing in the world to pick up a 'phone, speak to the good people there and give them your own point of view. Of course it's not perfect, but I for one pick it up each Friday morning and leaf through every page before even thinking of looking my daily Grauniad.

On 12 Sep 2010 at 11:07pm Newmania wrote:
The letters page would be lively if the Paper was lively. Plenty of people try to get through the filters to my knowledge so it aint an accident we get wall to wall Parish Notice fare.That is clearly the policy. There used to be rather a good little collumn someone wrote but it seems to have gone.
Its not the news its the feel of it .The second you see the front page you feel miserable. I am not any sort of meeja pepe but I have read plenty of local Newspapers and its the worst by a country mile. This is not only my opinion btw.

On 13 Sep 2010 at 7:49am Gloria mundi wrote:
Yes, but don't forget Lewes also has Viva Lewes which is absolutely at the other end of the scale.

On 13 Sep 2010 at 9:20am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I have to agree that it's diabolical, but then I've never been a fan of local papers (although the Eastern Daily Press used to be rather good).
What amazes me is it's total inaccuracy. This week they've got a piece about 3 guys who all fought in the Falklands, and they've got the names wrong on the individual photos, but right on the group one. It's not rocket science to caption a pic correctly, surely, especially when you've already done it once?
And I think you CAN blame a paper for the letters page, actually. They select which ones to print, they could edit the long ones and they could stop printing ANY from Cllr Gardiner. I can't believe they didn't get any more interesting letters than the selection they printed, parking and the Glyndebourne turbine ad nauseam.

On 13 Sep 2010 at 9:26am Newmania wrote:
I so agree with everything you say there ANC-twitcher and btw you have the best name around.Really funny. I wracked my feeble brains trying to think of something to top it and thus far I have failed .

On 13 Sep 2010 at 1:47pm Matt Kent wrote:
Has anyone read the Worthing Herald recently? Thats pretty close to being toilet paper. The quality of the express is pretty questionable sometimes, but what concerns me is that the price has risen over the last year, and the quality really hasn't improved. And although I haven't been measuring the newsheets, there seems to be less article and a lot more adverts. Take away the car section / property sections / public notices / the no jobs section / the continued letter debate about parking and the wind turbine and you're left with a dozen pages of local goss. The sport section is reasonable though.

On 13 Sep 2010 at 1:52pm Rothstein wrote:
If only the people of Ringmer would realise that no one else cares about there windturbine then the letters page could move on. It got permsission so get over it. If i lived in Ringmer I'd be more worried about the ferral youth running wild there.

On 13 Sep 2010 at 2:01pm Magpie wrote:
I have often wondered what the circulation ot The Sussex Express actually is ?

On 13 Sep 2010 at 2:15pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Along with police, I don't think I've ever seen any 'ferral youth, be it Ringmer or Lewes. i think the local paper is boring cos let's face it, Lewes is a pretty quiet town.
This forum is better for news and gossip imho.

On 13 Sep 2010 at 6:58pm Nick Robinson wrote:
The circulation people, ABC, have it that the Sussex Express has a total average net circulation per issue of 12,615

On 13 Sep 2010 at 7:26pm simon wrote:
"average net circulation per issue of 12,615" which is roughly equal to the number of spelling mistakes, typographical errors and misprints.

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Mount Caburn 92:132
Mount Caburn

Hello Lewes folk. After 3 months, Skylark downstairs in the Needlemakers has reopened. We are enabling safe shopping, for our... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington