Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Superbowl

On 8 Jan 2013 at 11:18am huw wrote:
We (the Elephant and Castle) are thinking about opening for the Superbowl on Sunday 3rd February going through to early morning on the 4th.
We have a few NFL fans coming in on most Sundays to watch the games but was wondering if there were any American expats or Yankophilles out there who would like to watch the game on a big screen with company?
On 8 Jan 2013 at 3:37pm londoin exile wrote:
everyone to their own I suppose, I'd rather saw my own feet off than watch american football.

On 8 Jan 2013 at 7:04pm Megatron wrote:
Sounds brilliant! I'd go. I've already got my tickets for the Wembley games later in the year.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 1:55am paul wrote:
you can count me in i love superbowl
On 9 Jan 2013 at 4:04am Hate Football wrote:
Can't be any worse than 22 overpaid prima donnas kicking a ball around for 90 minutes, in a monstrosity that destroyed a small country village.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 7:42am london exile wrote:
is that the small country village with a bloody great university campus by it , next to the busy A road ?

On 9 Jan 2013 at 8:26am Seagull wrote:
The Amex has hardly affected Falmer at all. A little more traffic for a couple of hours every fortnight in winter. Big deal. The construction of the Brighton by-pass years ago was far more intrusive.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 8:27am Pete wrote:
Yup, that's the one....
On 9 Jan 2013 at 10:12am Sussex Jim wrote:
Sorry to divert from the original subject; but Falmer was wrecked when some idiot authorised the construction of a cutting that ripped the village in half when the road was widened, instead of building a tunnel like at Southwick Hill.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 10:49am yackety yack wrote:
Stadium is still better than the alternatives. Originally the idea was to build a new hospital there to replace the three others in the city, 24 hour a day 7 days a week movements by the thousand. When that idea was shelved planning for a huge industrial estate was granted again with 365 days a year noise and traffic.
Would you post as hospital/industry hater instead of saving your vitriol purely for football? Perhaps you're busy building a tree house near Bexhill/Hastings?
London Exile, it's two bloody great university campuses.
Sorry Huw won't make the Superbowl.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 11:39am Hate footbal wrote:
I'm sure that Falmer residents will argue against it not affecting them.
Schools, university campuses and hospitals are worthwhile and help people learn or be treated and are available for all. Football is a pointless game that gives nothing to the local society except numerous problems and an influx of thugs and to amuse a few who cannot usually string together a sentence.
On 9 Jan 2013 at 12:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
A hospital serves the whole community, not just those who want to go and watch 22 millionaires ruining a lawn (or whatever the non-Premier League equivalent is).
And all the people that visit a hospital wouldn't be trying to get there at the same time, like football crowds.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 12:15pm BHA wrote:
Get over it the Amex is here to stay hahaha!

On 9 Jan 2013 at 1:05pm Don't talk back wrote:
Footie hater, Universities are not available to all. I'm sure the pair of you must be able to see the benefits of 22 millionaires spending their fortunes. Top trolling football hater. Haha

On 9 Jan 2013 at 1:58pm Badom Tsh wrote:
I saw the most amazing Eagle owl this morning. In fact it was a superb owl

On 9 Jan 2013 at 2:26pm Seagull wrote:
Hate football wrote "I'm sure that Falmer residents will argue against it not affecting them".
I'm sure Falmer residents would argue about anything and everything. Bunch of whingers.
Also the AMEX is a COMMUNITY stadium A.C.T. and there is a lot more that goes on there than just football.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 3:03pm Taff wrote:
Exactly how much of the stadium is in Hove Seagull?
Brighton and Lewes Albion? Dont think so.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 3:25pm Liam Bridcutt wrote:
What's that got to do with anything Taff? How much of the Goldstone ground was in Brighton? Pointless post.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 3:42pm Tony wrote:
The amex brought nothing .....
No employment opportunities?
No facilities that now provide education for people who are unable to attend full time courses?
Not a building and facility to inspire young people to participate and enjoy sport and decrease the ever increasing issue of childhood obesity?
Not a facility to bring funding for the development of sport in Sussex?
Not a facility to bring funding to develop areas of deprivation through sport and education ?
Not a facility to boost the income of shops and business' in Brighton as well as Lewes by travelling fans?
So I believe it provides more than just a building for 22 millionaires!

On 9 Jan 2013 at 3:42pm Seagull wrote:
Taff. If you want to take that view then I will equally pointlessly post that that Old Trafford ISN'T in Manchester.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 3:49pm BHAFC UNTIL I DIE wrote:
Hate footbal........." A bunch of thugs who cannot string a sentence together"! You can't even spell! FOOTBALL.
As a season ticket holder, I am still yet to see any trouble in the area of Falmer before or after a home game, and I'm sure the landlord of the Swan public house doesn't complain to much either on match days.

On 9 Jan 2013 at 3:59pm Lewes lady wrote:
Slightly unfortunate user name there, BHA...
A rather rude word stands out from it in the thread list. This forum won't even let me spell it out in Sc*nthorpe!!

On 9 Jan 2013 at 8:37pm expat two wrote:
Jesus Christ Huw, see what you've started?

On 10 Jan 2013 at 1:18pm Taff wrote:
From memory the old stadium was next to Boundary Road, on the Brighton side methinks. Whatever.

On 10 Jan 2013 at 2:23pm Liam Bridcutt wrote:
You need to check your memory then because the Goldstone ground was in West Hove, almost Aldrington. Hove station is further East than the ground was. So yes, whatever. Hove and Aldrington Albion? Don't think so.

On 10 Jan 2013 at 3:25pm Taff wrote:
Someone please enlighten me. Boundary Road is the boundary between which 2 areas?
Or do boundaries only run North - South!

On 10 Jan 2013 at 3:34pm Taff wrote:
Thinking about it its Sackville Road not Boundary Road I am thinking of. My apologies Liam.
On 10 Jan 2013 at 3:36pm Dick Knight. wrote:
When you say Boundary Road, are you talking about Boundary Road, Hove or Boundary Road Brighton? Not sure what either have to do with the location of the Goldstone ground. Or was the word 'Road' a mistake on your part? Anyway, the Goldstone ground was wholly and fully within the boundary of Hove only. Hope that helps.

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

River Wharfs Lewes 101:132
River Wharfs Lewes

Hello

Lewes is beautiful and I have been considering moving there for a while. I am now thinking of buying a place on Friars... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy