Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Summer visitors looking for some leads!

On 5 May 2014 at 10:05pm Julia M wrote:
Hello!
I will be working at U Sussex this summer and out tween/teen girls will be looking for things to do. Are there summer football and/or volleyball groups? What about non sporty stuff, opportunities to meet kids their age (12&14)? I found one art class but looking for a few more activities, maybe drama class?. We will live in Lewes for a month. My colleagues tell me its the place to be.
Regards,
Your new American neighbors
On 5 May 2014 at 11:13pm Richard wrote:
Hi Julia - welcome to Lewes!
There's a summer school for kids at ACT Brighton (in the next town.) I took a adult short course there a while back and it was great fun. Worth a look.

Check it out here »

On 6 May 2014 at 1:31pm someone else wrote:
Welcome!
The local leisure centre runs courses (google Wave Leisure Lewes), as does the football club (Lewes FC) although I'm not sure about dates. Or get your girls playing cricket - they won't learn it anywhere else! (St Michael's or Priory CC). If the weather's good, best place to meet other kids their age is probably the outdoor swimming pool - Pells.

On 6 May 2014 at 9:34pm Julia wrote:
Thanks for the info! Great ideas! We are looking forward to being in Lewes!

On 7 May 2014 at 9:56am Albert Square wrote:
Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay Lewes is great, and I'm sure you'll love it. Your children will almost certainly enjoy Brighton too which is only 10 minutes away by train, and being a city and well known as one of the most cosmopolitan places in Europe has more facilities and variety for young people. It also has a beach, which while stony, has a dedicated sand volleyball court which as far as I know runs lessons and groups for children all year round. Being a city it has a lot of theatres and cinemas and music events too, affordable shopping with a lot of choice, and at the end of the day you can come back to Lewes which gives you the best of both worlds.
My advice would be to throw yourself into community life in Lewes and get involved, we're a friendly and welcoming bunch, and look outside town into the wider local area too for activities - Brighton as above, Eastbourne (30 minutes away) has a tennis tournament with some of the best female players in the world that's easy to get tickets for, Bexhill has a great arts venue. There'll be a lot to try and fit in

On 8 May 2014 at 9:13pm sainsbury wrote:
Have a look at Southdown Tennis Club in Lewes by the Priory. They run (field) hockey camps in the summer as well as tennis camps. The hockey camps are particularly popular with lots of children from lots of schools so they're not cliquey and the children just get stuck in.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Tiled House 86:132
Lewes Tiled House

The elected government is taking the correct attitude towards the BBC: by-pass it. By communicating directly through social media... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine