Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Stupid students want to stay in the EU

On 19 Apr 2016 at 11:05am Vote Out wrote:
EU REFERENDUM: Shock poll shows 76 PER CENT of students back Britain STAYING in the EU. Hardly a surprise that the young what have never done a proper job in there lives have been brainwashed.

Check it out here »
On 19 Apr 2016 at 11:32am Peter Perfect wrote:
Hardly surprising since they are the ones who will have to live with the consequences of this madness led by geriatric Little Englanders who can't get over the Second World War
On 19 Apr 2016 at 12:05pm Student wrote:
I am one who is voting out but I can confirm most are in because they are faddish, brainwashed and no nothing about the history of their country, nor do they approach the issue with any rationale or objectivity.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 12:18pm Peter Perfect wrote:
How do you know that? Spoken to them all, have you? The trouble for the young stayers is that they need to get out and vote, just like the geriatric leavers
On 19 Apr 2016 at 12:38pm big man wrote:
I don`t think that anyone in education and not paying taxes should be allowed to vote in the referendum also there parents should have to be british.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 12:44pm Student wrote:
I won't bother with you seeing as you ignorantly call anyone who wants to leave a little Englander. Why don't you grow up and stop insulting people who want to take back control of our democracy, freedom and law making.
If you hadn't noticed young people will never have the chance to own their own home due to mass immigration and the EU's crazy policy of freedom of movement while having completely open borders.
I don't wish for our countryside to be built on just to satisfy your metropolitan desire to submerge this country within a new EU country.
A thousand years of history and culture is directly at risk.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 12:46pm ar10642 wrote:
Why's that Big Man, so you get the result you want? Everyone pays tax through VAT. Lots of students work as well as study. What does either of those things have to do with it anyway? Luckily your opinion on who can and can't vote counts for nothing.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 1:01pm ar10642 wrote:
Student, what makes you so sure that it's the freedom of movement policy that's caused house prices to be what they are? There are other factors at play, see the graph in the middle of the link as an example. I think the immigration argument is one of the out campaign's weakest ones. We're not going to just shut the door, other countries will reciprocate, and that's bad for us too. Nobody's going to be sent "home". The housing crisis will very much still be there even after Brexit, if it happens.
There are some valid points about sovereignty. For me, it's whether the upsides of regaining that sovereignty outweigh the potential economic instability that a Brexit scenario will cause. The instability has already started - the pound is not doing well against the euro or USD right now. I can see that getting worse before it gets better.

Check it out here »
On 19 Apr 2016 at 1:04pm student wrote:
"At the moment any EU citizen can come to the UK to settle, work, claim benefits and use the NHS. We have no proper control over whether that individual’s presence here is economically beneficial, conducive to the public good or in our national interest.
"We cannot effectively screen new arrivals for qualifications, extremist connections or past criminality. We have given away control over how we implement the vital 1951 UN Convention on asylum to the European court. We cannot even deport convicted murderers.' "Further, there are five more countries - Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey - in the queue to join the EU - and the European Commission, as we have just experienced ourselves during the recent negotiation process, regards ‘free movement’ as an inviolable principle of EU membership...
"And my ambition is not a Utopian ideal - it’s an Australian reality. Instead of a European open-door migration policy we could - if a future Government wanted it - have an Australian points-based migration policy. We could emulate that country’s admirable record of taking in genuine refugees, giving a welcome to hard-working new citizens and building a successful multi-racial society without giving into people-smugglers, illegal migration or subversion of our borders."
On 19 Apr 2016 at 1:10pm Rolf Harris wrote:
Yes ,we want an Australian points based system to keep out all the undesirables.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 1:43pm Rolf Harris wrote:
Would you like to have a go on my wobble board young fella ?
On 19 Apr 2016 at 3:42pm Peter Perfect wrote:
The only people enhancing their rights after Brexit will be the Daily Mail, the right-wing of the Conservative Party and the boss class generally. Comrade Corbyn (and I'm not his greatest fan) is spot on when he says that most people's basic rights are better served under EC laws.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 4:40pm Hyena wrote:
A question. Would the economic crisis( Of the last 8 years) have impacted on the average citizen of the Uk to a lesser degree if we had been out of the EU.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 6:04pm Weener wrote:
Hyena - no because it was a global problem caused by the packaging of subprime mortgages backed securities in with triple A loans creating massive instability in the globalised financial market.
Being in the EU does not cause our housing to be more expensive. that is caused by housing being seen as a secure place to invest in and a lack of house building so that the existing stock is in fewer hands and no new stock is being built to replace it. lubricating the market with new stock would also devalue the investments that housing investors have made so prime building land is banked. It is a rigged system and that is why the young can't buy houses. So our elders want brexit and high value housing and land for their own ends and are not thinking of the good of the generation to come 'I'm allright Jack (and so are my kids because I have money to hand them'. What we need is a massive readjustment shock to the housing market for the prices to come tumbling down. Don't blame immigrants (except the rich ones propping up the London property market and flying off around the old to their tax havens)
On 19 Apr 2016 at 6:32pm Geriatric Little England wrote:
I'll be voting to stay in the EU and no amount of name-calling will change my mind.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 6:39pm GeriatricLittleEnglander wrote:
Student - you are very wrong with your statement about anyone from an EU country being able to come into the UK and claim benefits etc.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 6:49pm brexiter wrote:
Anyone with an IQ of over 80 should be barred from voting.That way we would easily win.
On 19 Apr 2016 at 8:47pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I would imagine that most students are pro-EU because: a) They live in a globalised world where national boundaries seem less relevant, b) Many older Brexit supporters come across as a bunch of reactionary old facts who want to turn the clock back to 1957 and c) Better the devil you know. If they knew more about the degree to which the EU is in cahoots with the corporate world and understood how undemocratic it is, they might vote differently.
On 21 Apr 2016 at 12:09am King of Sussex wrote:
You kind of ruined your otherwise excellent post with your last point Earl.
Nobody in Europe is any more ‘in cahoots with the corporate world’ than are Cameron and Osborne. Should Brexit actually happen and Cameron gets ousted, then we’re left with the buffoon Johnson, the man who has never ever chosen Londoner’s interests over those of the corporate world - for example, guess who’s overturned EVERY SINGLE planning application refusal, in favour of the corporates who can make more offshore profit by ignoring planning law?
The idea that the Tories, or even a Murdoch sanctioned ‘electable’ Labour Party, are going to provide better, or a more just governance than the EU currently does, is an insane one. It’s the Tories, don’t forget, that want to abandon the EU Human Rights laws so businesses owners can sack staff for not being white heterosexual Conservative voters who aren’t showing enough gratitude for the privilege of their employment. Every pensioner, every employee and yes, every student, should be wary of handing more power over to the tightening cabal of our tax cheating ruling elite.
I expect students are perfectly well aware of the EU’s relationship with democracy and have rightly concluded it’s a far better one than we’ll ever get following an EU exit

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lansdown Penny 127:143
The Lansdown Penny

Probably. Lock your doors. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams