Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Stop Press - New Shop - Shock - Horror!

On 13 Nov 2008 at 7:17pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
This evening I spotted that one of the buildings between Westgate Chapel and (the late) Full Of Beans is being renovated and becoming a shop. It looks rather interesting at the moment - an old antique till and pigeon holes, but I have no idea what type of shop/business it is to become.
Either way, it's refreshing to see a business open in the town (especially at the top end) rather than the all-too-often "change of use from business to residential".

On 13 Nov 2008 at 8:17pm jackson wrote:
ITS going to be a menswear shop. doesnt seem to be in any rush to open though. And across from there in the old elegance building a toy shop.
so i am told atleast.

On 13 Nov 2008 at 8:24pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Gentlemans outfitter apparently. Inside leg sir?

On 13 Nov 2008 at 8:28pm Lopster wrote:
Suit YOU Sir!

On 15 Nov 2008 at 9:20am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
A toy shop again? I do hope so as I miss the one at the bottom of School Hill.

On 17 Nov 2008 at 6:14pm heffer wrote:
Toy Shops? I miss Gamleys: in what is now the Cancer Research. And Rice Brothers [not so much] but most of all Fryer's in Malling Street [wall to wall model trains]. There was also one in the 70s just over Cliffe Bridge in what is now part of the Harveys Shop that sold stink bombs, itching powder, Slime [anyone remember that?] and Star Wars Action figures.

On 18 Nov 2008 at 7:36am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
When I walked past on Sunday, in addition to all the interesting old shop fittings, there was a lovely dog in the window. I think he was a Boston terrier.

On 18 Nov 2008 at 7:48am FA wrote:
Heffer.....wasn't Gamleys where the pet shop is now. The one where the Cancer research shop is, was called Laceys and the little toy shop which is now the Harveys shop was called Wonderful Wilsons

On 19 Nov 2008 at 7:50am downfromlewes wrote:
On the corner of Railway Lane was Rice Bros, the toy, model and bike shop, na so?

On 20 Nov 2008 at 12:07am Heffer wrote:
FA you're right - Gamleys had loads of bikes and prams upstairs. Laceys had an upstairs too - and that is where I saw my first ever LEGO. Rice Brothers also did saddles and horsey stuff - the smell of leather was quite overpowering. Had a strop in there once when my Granny wouldn't buy me eight pieces of straight railway track and would only get me six. Wonderful Wilsons eh? Memories!

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny 21:132
Cliffe Bonfire Society Penny

I can't see it either! If all the households cut spending then their incomes would fall because their incomes depend on selling... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina