Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Statue in the Grange

On 17 Nov 2013 at 8:25pm Paul Wicker wrote:
This afternoon, my self and the family went down to the Grange for the first time in ages.
We were welcomed by a rather odd looking statue on a plinth. Unfortunately It didn't say on the plinth what it was meant to be or who had created it.
We guessed due to the location of the Grange that it had been made by the pupils from either Western Rd or Southover primary schools. The subject matter seemed to represent something that a dog might do on a pavement.
Who ever did it and what ever it represents, the Grange is a lesser place for it.

On 17 Nov 2013 at 8:52pm Sylvia wrote:
I agree, it's perfectly awful and spoils the setting it's in. If it had been placed in a less prominent position it might be bearable.

On 17 Nov 2013 at 10:27pm Belladonna wrote:
Any chance of a photo? There's some awful 'sculpture' in the walled garden area as well.
Do you know for sure it was made by one of the schools ?

On 18 Nov 2013 at 10:53am Knoxon Cutts wrote:
Hideous statues are popping up everywhere around the country,anyone would think it's being done on purpose but it's probably just an accident.When a Francis Bacon is the most expensive painting in the world we can only expect the worst.

On 18 Nov 2013 at 2:59pm Mme B wrote:
KC, you took the words right out of my mouth!

On 19 Nov 2013 at 4:35pm bastian wrote:
I'm glad you posted this because I was going to at one point. It really is an ugly lump, unfinished or a badly hunepiece of portland lime stone, it looks as if someone just got bored whilst carving it. And the distressing nature of the subject matter (with no explanation) seems the wrong thing to stick in full view of our desperately needed tourists. I hope we didn't pay for it.
On 19 Nov 2013 at 5:22pm Jan wrote:
Can someone explain the distressing nature of it ?

On 19 Nov 2013 at 9:49pm wrote:

On 20 Nov 2013 at 3:43pm bastian wrote:
it's a bunch of clustered, hand wringing, half sobbing group of figures looking desperate. Is that what the artist wanted it to be, and is that suitable for the towns only public garden. I am not the voice of the uninformed here, I have a formal art trainng, this piece is a travesty- it's only comment is that it has stirred up interest on this forum, but not for the right reasons, I'm not shocked by it, just appalled.

On 20 Nov 2013 at 6:21pm School Mum wrote:
Nowt to do with the schools... think the kids would be insulted by the suggestion too.
Agree - depressing & dreadful 'artwork' - enough to put me off my sandwiches.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Barbican Lewes 7:132
Barbican Lewes

Invading armies are famous for "interbreeding" as you so delicately put it. I'm sure there's plenty of Norman dna as well. Please... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington