Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

State of the roads

On 6 Mar 2017 at 11:15am Earl of Lewess wrote:
There are more potholes, road signs are covered in dirt and white lines aren't being repainted. In Devon, they've set up a volunteer force to help out, as the local authority can no longer afford to maintain the necessary level of service. Would this be a good idea here?
On 6 Mar 2017 at 11:36am The Greek wrote:
While it may solve the problem, it lets the government off for not providing adequate funding. Petition the council, your MP and don't vote Conservative.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 11:42am Deja Vu wrote:
It's because ESCC Highways are retarded...
One good example, fixing the potholes outside of Plumpton college 13 days before they stripped and resurfaced the road. Completely pointless and expensive exercise, just an indication that they run a system that doesn't work (right hand, left hand). Also doesn't help when they come out and fix "some" potholes (2 of 6, what's the point).

On 6 Mar 2017 at 12:23pm Mark wrote:
If they are making errors de ja then my guess would be done to lack of resources.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 1:00pm Redballs wrote:
@Mark.. I must try that one at work! NOT.
Sorry boss I cocked up, but it wasn't my fault it was the lack of resources!!!!
I guess I would be out on my backside by the end of the day.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 1:25pm Cynic wrote:
Petition your mp? Fat lot of good that would do.
It needs everyone who has damaged their cars on potholes to claim. Then they might be keener to sort it.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 2:17pm SHS wrote:
The country needs money! The unemployed need to work - paid or as volunteers, so that instead of a liability they become an asset. We all need to support British industry. The govt needs to prioritise - put the HS2 money into something more basic that will help everybody. Turn them heating down and lights off in govt offices. Abolish stupid laws. And, er, remove taxes on wine and beer :-)
On 6 Mar 2017 at 2:37pm stevet wrote:
I agree with other contributors that issues like this are a result of local government budget cuts having an effect on day to day life. When it comes to allocating meager resources to education/social care budgets or road repairs councils will prioritise the former. We need properly funded local authorities. Itís not ESCC Highways that are the problem, Iím sure they are doing their best in the circumstances.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 2:48pm Deja Vu wrote:
My anecdote illustrates them wasting resources, a couple of people have defended them saying they are facing a lack of resources and that causes inefficiency that leads to wasting resources...
Which came first though, the lack of resources, or them being so inept they throw half of what they do have away (I strongly suspect ineptitude)?
On 6 Mar 2017 at 2:51pm Jennifer wrote:
Shouldn't it be a requirement that the poor, to carry on cashing benefits or whatever else it is they get, ought to be made to work improving roads, buildings, gardens, that kind of thing? It would give them something to do and a better sense of self worth. Obviously, the manual work would have to be replaced by something else after retirement age.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 3:16pm @Jennifer wrote:
Yes good idea, then all the unemployed gardeners, builders, road workers can stack shelves, then all the unemployed shelf stackers can become home helpers, then all the house wives (you) are officially unemployed too, we'll put you to use emptying bins, then bin men can assist the police (this goes on for a while)... ... and when all that is over the politicians will be made to work the street corners.
Did I miss anyone?
On 6 Mar 2017 at 4:11pm Earl of Lewess wrote:
A very good point Jennifer. However I'm sure you'd share my concern at having the infrastructure maintained by some of the most feckless and least capable members of society. I was thinking more of recruiting people like your good self who, having demanded premium standards from others, would not be content to produce substandard work.

On 6 Mar 2017 at 4:24pm Funky pigeon wrote:
Surely this is something that the local prison population could put to good use. That's what I would call paying your debt back to society.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 4:37pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think things will get a lot worse before they get better. George Osborne's strategy of whittling the central government grant to zero by 2025 will reduce local services to the standard of those in the poorest 3rd world countries before long.
Twenty years or so ago, 75% of local government funding came from central government grants. To reduce this to nothing either means quadrupling council tax or not having the services, and the former isn't likely to happen.
I think they only mend the potholes that are reported now, and that that is why you get 1 pothole fixed when there are 2 side by side. Apparently, if damage occurs because of a pothole that's been reported, the council can't wriggle out of their liabilities by claiming they took all "reasonable steps" to keep the roads in a decent state.
I'd have no qualms about claiming for damage caused by a pothole, but what can one do about the general, cumulative damage done by driving on crappy roads day after day?
On 6 Mar 2017 at 5:00pm Deja Vu wrote:
You are right, they don't pay for the damage caused to bearings, bushes, tracking and general poor tyre wear from all of the above...
I have tried to claim and there is literally no chance (I had to have two sets of bearings on one wheel in 18 months, less than 18k miles when it should have lasted 60k+), or the £80 it costs every time I have the tracking done.
I like to think of myself as Mr pedantic, but even I gave up trying to claim for this type of stuff.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 5:06pm Mark wrote:
Exactly Act. And if a private sector contractor goes to a site with a brief to fill two potholes then two potholes will be filled. The other 4 will be of no interest to them.

On 6 Mar 2017 at 5:26pm Mark wrote:
And the apology about your boss isn't really very good Redballs. If your boss asked you to dig a trench and handed you a teaspoon to work with because that was all he had. Then I do think that it would be sensible of you to politely explain why this was a problem.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 6:02pm ar10642 wrote:
The council tax in my area has not increased in at least 6 years, which is all very nice, but the cost of everything it's supposed to pay for *has* gone up. In addition, the central government grants have gone down. This means services are going to be dropped unless we either pay more council tax (very unpopular, hits the poorest hardest) or we reverse the central funding cuts.
I think we're well past "efficiency savings", there's only so much that can be done. Eventually we have to accept that if we want things done properly (NHS, roads, whatever), we have to pay more in tax to do it.
On 6 Mar 2017 at 6:40pm Taff wrote:
Was it Highways that took on the responsibility to put sooperdooper grippy road surfaces on dangerous bends, crossing approaches and the like and then ignore the upkeep of them? Surely that is negligence?

On 7 Mar 2017 at 5:41pm Redballs wrote:
Stop digging Mark your making your pothole bigger!
On 7 Mar 2017 at 10:07pm Stirling Moss wrote:
Some wag pointed out that we used to drive on the left of the road...and now.... we drive on what's left of the road.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes inferno 69:132
Lewes inferno

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today Ė you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo