Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Stanley Turner

On 12 Feb 2018 at 1:20pm ClaireDickson wrote:
Hi
there is a park named Stanley Turner and I know there ws a business, don't know whether thee still is but I wondered who Stanley Turner was and what his contribution to the town was for him to be remembered in such a way ?
Claire
On 12 Feb 2018 at 2:40pm You do know... wrote:
That typing "Stanley Turner Lewes" into Google would have been quicker that typing out that post and provided a lot more useful information than you'll get here?
On 12 Feb 2018 at 2:50pm Google wrote:
Yeah that yields no useful results...
On 12 Feb 2018 at 3:27pm ClaireDickson wrote:
had already tried google, gives you nothing
that's why I am asking on here, thanks anyway
On 12 Feb 2018 at 3:28pm Tango wrote:
In 1934, rich local timber merchant, Albert Turner, gave 40 acres of land to Lewes, and built a Pavilion in memory of his brother Stanley. He formed a Trust in Stanley's name, and decreed that the land should be used ‘for Public Recreation and for no other purpose’. The Trust became the responsibility of Lewes District Council in 1974. Lewes RFC has used the Ground since 1938, as have Priory Cricket Club, with whom we formed Lewes Sports Club, and in 1979 part funded the Clubroom.
On 12 Feb 2018 at 3:33pm ClaireDickson wrote:
"tango" thank you so much for the info,. greatly appreciated
Clare
On 12 Feb 2018 at 7:59pm MG wrote:
Specifically, I understand it is the responsibility of a charitable trust, of which the District Councillors are personally trustees.

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Meridian Line 72:132
Lewes Meridian Line

Another day another protest more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell