Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Southover Church, alternative recomendations

On 17 Nov 2015 at 6:36am Hymn & Her wrote:
Whilst planning our Christmas visit to family in Lewes last year we did our homework to find a local church with a friendly congregation of like minded people. Thanks to a few helpful people on this forum who directed us to South Over. We went to a couple of services and enjoyed having so many young people in the congregation which we found quite refreshing and whose company our daughters appreciated.
Whilst doing our home work this year we see that South Over has been embroiled in a sex scandal and whilst we believe in forgiveness we are bound by a duty of care for our children and feel unable to return again.
Could anyone please suggest an alternative church in the area, we will be staying close to the Grange and would rather not drive to services.
Peace
On 17 Nov 2015 at 9:41am Shocked wrote:
I had no idea about this and I go to Southover sporadically. It is a shocking case and very damaging as it is one of the only local church's with a significant young attendance. Kings Church is the other one I think though it might not be your style?
The other Anglican churches within easy walking distance tend to have older congregations but as I haven't actually been to them I shouldn't comment. I am sure they would be delighted to see you at Christmas. Hopefully someone from their congregation will see this and give you some more details.
On 17 Nov 2015 at 12:28pm Thomas wrote:
Forgiveness is indeed a Christian virtue, but far better for those in charge to have had better checks and controls in place than to have to rely on forgiveness of others after an event.
FYI Southover is now part of the recently merged/amalgamated CofE "Trinity" congregation/Church. Not sure if that reassures you that errors of judgement are perhaps less likely to be repeated now, or whether it makes things potentially worse as it is perhaps easier to hide in a larger crowd...
Eastgate (Baptist) Church and congregation is friendly and welcoming, but quite different to CofE service style.

On 17 Nov 2015 at 12:47pm Curate wrote:
Although I am Cof E I can recommend Eastgate, provided you don't mind long sermons.
On 17 Nov 2015 at 12:53pm Shocked wrote:
Not sure how to interpret being down voted but it doesn't exactly encourage someone who is trying to be helpful.
On 17 Nov 2015 at 7:09pm Atheist wrote:
How self righteous and judgmental of you. It didn't occur to you to contact the church to seek reassurance?
No. Far better to passive-aggresively humiliate them on here.
Christian "moral" behaviour at its most vomit-inducing.
On 17 Nov 2015 at 7:28pm Curate wrote:
Ignore the thumbs down they have no bearing on anything -they are just another weird thing with the Lewes Forum. No, I'm not really a curate but I was a long term C.of E member and have been to Eastgate .
On 17 Nov 2015 at 8:32pm dog botherer wrote:
@Athiest - yup, and the good old Christian 'we believe in forgiveness but...'
On 17 Nov 2015 at 9:48pm Curate wrote:
I forgive you but you really should leave pooches alone.
On 17 Nov 2015 at 11:12pm dog botherer wrote:
I'm dyslexic
On 18 Nov 2015 at 7:17am Sarah wrote:
I frequent Southover Church regularly and have never heard of such a story, I suggest it is just that?
On 18 Nov 2015 at 7:31am Shocked wrote:
Sarah, I suggest you look at Sussex express website for Lewes man , 21, 3 year sentence for sexual offences. I am sorry but I don't know how to do the hot link.
On 18 Nov 2015 at 8:50am John Smith wrote:
Links don't work half the time, but here it is.

Check it out here »
On 18 Nov 2015 at 10:32am Fake Sarah wrote:
Obviously this is a concern but i dont see that 1 bad apple should have a negative effect on a church. You do not expect this behaviour from someone and therefore the church would not look out for it. It is times like this when the church must unite and not let 1 person ruin what they have spent years to build up.
There are pedophiles in all places (not everyone) but you will find them in the police force, in the church, in schools, working in supermarkets etc. What are you going to do, stop every man and woman being around you and your children because of this?
On 18 Nov 2015 at 10:44am John Smith wrote:
No, of course not, Fake Sarah. But it does suggest that there is a failure in the oversight of volunteers allowed privileged access to vulnerable people, and given the dire legal outcomes for this diocese over the last couple of years you'd have thought the church would be a lot more vigilant.
On 18 Nov 2015 at 10:51am Country Boy wrote:
Did the person involved have a history?
On 18 Nov 2015 at 11:17am Shocked wrote:
Would this even have happened or progressed so far without social media? Almost all teenagers seem to have access to info sharing sites so how does anyone police that, especially as teenagers are usually much more adept at these things than their parents?
On 18 Nov 2015 at 1:13pm Fake Sarah wrote:
@ John Smith - not necessarily. I assume that the volunteers would have to be CRB checked given that they will be around vunerable people, but this will only show a criminal history. If someone has not yet been caught then they will not have this history. This lad is 21 years old, i guess he had no convictions of this prior to this coming to light.
I am not trying to make excuses for this guy, but i do think that saying you will not visit a church because of this is saying that you believe another sex offender is volunteering at the same church. I agree there MAY be a SMALL chance of this but this is only a small chance...
On 18 Nov 2015 at 1:53pm William de Valence wrote:
Bearing in mind he was 18 or 19 then its the vulnerability of the victim that seems to be the biggest element in the severity of the sentence. And maybe parents are disarmed by the appearance of religiosity. Sheep in wolves clothing etc.
I can't imagine any of the leadership being anything but distraught about this but I am not sure if there has been specific criticism of them and the protection policy by the Police?
Changing back to the original post, has nobody who attends St Anne's or the other Anglican church's noticed the question posed? I think you need to wake up!
On 18 Nov 2015 at 2:10pm Country Boy wrote:
and do you really think the original post was genuine?
On 18 Nov 2015 at 2:59pm John Smith wrote:
Sarah: yes, I agree about the CRB check (although I do sometimes worry that an apparently clear CRB - now DBS - check might well give a false sense of security). The judgement reported in the Sussex Express suggested though that there were three occasions when this person had unsupervised access to children for prolonged periods: it *must* be possible to put in place some kind of regime to ensure that can't happen?

I do agree that deciding that you won't attend that church because of it seems a bit extreme, unless you seriously believe that it's endemic in the church leaders and congregation. I have a hunch that there won't be anywhere safer in Sussex after this.
On 18 Nov 2015 at 4:10pm Brian wrote:
If God made this man a sex offender, then how can you be sure he hasn't made anyone working at other churches sex offenders too?
On 18 Nov 2015 at 6:04pm skeptical green wrote:
We once went to a service at Southover Church when one of our children was at Southover CofE School. I had not appreciated how far the creepy happy clappy stuff had infiltrated the Cof E . The fire and brimstone youth Minister was frankly scary to the children. I suspect that those who attend such Churches are unaware how odd they seem to rational people.
On 18 Nov 2015 at 6:28pm Mr P wrote:
I know what you mean - I went to a service a few years ago to try it out and heard the youth minister compared Lewes and Brighton to Sodom and Gomorrah! Can't remember the rationale unfortunately
On 18 Nov 2015 at 8:26pm PilgrIm wrote:
Southover is a well run Anglican church, and as Trinity now runs half the Anglican churches in Lewes. Other Anglican churches are also available, as is St Pancras RC. If you are looking for somewhere more Evangelical and charismatic try King's (where the congregation is much younger than typical) or Eastgate. Otherwise you might try Christchurch. Lots of choice in Lewes. I think the largest congregations are at Southover & Kings.

On 18 Nov 2015 at 9:45pm Atheist wrote:
Unfortunately the only popular churches these days do seem to be the ones that go Full Christian. This has accompanied a rise in non-belief in the UK.
On 19 Nov 2015 at 7:55pm Belladonna wrote:
Was the convicted man anything to do with the Southover church youth club 'FNL' on Friday nights ?
On 19 Nov 2015 at 10:15pm Pew wrote:
I think it's likely he would have attended.

On 20 Nov 2015 at 4:20pm John Silver wrote:
Be that you, Pew.
On 20 Nov 2015 at 6:49pm Ali R wrote:
FNL was popular with many teenagers, as for CRB checks .... no. Older teenagers in a position of trust ...... so where was the Child Protection Officer, did they ever attend or review the policies? I think not.

On 23 Nov 2015 at 9:37pm little wren wrote:
It is a bit over the top saying you can't go to this church because of this case. What on earth is going to happen to your children, you're visiting, you are presumably sitting next to them, please do tell what exactly you fantasise is going to happen. It seems to me you are making mischief, in fact I believe you're making this scenario up. The person who perpetrated the attacks on young people would not have been found on any CRB check if it was the first time he had been caught. Statistically, every time you go into a supermarket there will be several sexual predators. The only way to keep children safe is to talk openly, listen to them and believe them if they have a problem and to remember the vast majority of sexual attacks take place within the family.

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Through the Barbican 125:132
Through the Barbican

I suggest that you look up the meaning of snide Nev. I think I'm quite openly abusive, there's nothing hidden or sly about it. If... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington