Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Southover Bonfire

On 6 Nov 2016 at 9:53am Bonfire Boy wrote:
So which idiots decided to leave Southover until last again?
On 6 Nov 2016 at 10:55am Charlie wrote:
Southover do it properly. Other Societies are jealous. I'm not even in Southover but I can see that. They were in the top two last night for their procession. Others should watch and learn. Or at least acknowledge they make it exciting again and put them in the front or middle.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 11:40am Real lewesian wrote:
It seems to me that the powers that be in Southover need to A: Sort their unnecessarily long and virtually deserted route out and B: Maybe grow a pair and Stand up to the Bonfire council.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 12:33pm dunk wrote:
I was a bit disappointed in Southover. I may not have the full facts though so if anyone has more information then please feel free to correct me.
The United Grand went through as usual, shortly behind Cliffe who turn around at the castle and go back. Everything was normal and, I would say, everyone involved was putting on a very good show as they always do.
So after it ended I walked home and, at least 45 minutes after every other society had done their their thing, Southover were sitting down on the road and, apparently, refusing to march with everyone else. I mean, it's a procession. Surely all they have to do is follow the one in front?
This delay then meant my little girl, who had stayed up well past her bedtime until 10.30, did not get to see the Southover display (from her bedroom) as it didn't start until 11.30 and she was asleep by then. It was a good display by the way.
I want to like Southover as they are my local society but they changed their route at short notice last year and they seem to have had a strop this year and so I'm unimpressed.
Is it politics?
On 6 Nov 2016 at 12:43pm Uptown Monk wrote:
I was in the Southover procession and waiting for a long time just before the High Street - I am sure this wasn't because of a strop by the society...unless I have missed something?!
On 6 Nov 2016 at 12:43pm Bonfire Boy wrote:
Southover weren't allowed to march until the other societies had finished so no they weren't refusing to march they were not permitted to march. Bloody Bonfire council. The Southover procession was amazing
On 6 Nov 2016 at 12:53pm Bonnie wrote:
My friends and family came to watch me process with Southover. They said we were the best dressed and had the best bands and were the most fun to watch. Just a shame no one else saw us as the bonfire council kept us out of the main procession again. Come on Southover reps- sort it out!
On 6 Nov 2016 at 12:57pm One who knows wrote:
Dunk, Southover would have loved to do so but Borough threw their weight around and said they had to wait until they had cleared. Ask more rational members of BONCO and they'll tell you Borough could have waited a couple of minutes to have the kind of procession you and just about everyone else knows is the right thing. Blame them, not Southover. Maybe now Borough have made their point and stroked whatever fragile ego they have next year common sense may prevail for the benefit of all.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 1:08pm Bonnie wrote:
Why does Southover let itself be pushed around? Surely it's our turn to be in the grand parade! I don't want to march next year if it's going to be like this or is that the idea. Make if really bad for Southover and the members won't want to march.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 1:29pm Wallace wrote:
When Southover reformed they did so under the agreement that they would stay down in Southover all night. Slowly over the years they have crept up into town.
If Southover want to come into town then they must respect the older societies time honoured routes and timings.
It might also help if they bothered to turn up to BONCO meetings.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 1:40pm Southover smuggler wrote:
All the societies are of equal importance, so please stick your Argumentum ad antiquitatem up your fundament
On 6 Nov 2016 at 1:44pm Only me wrote:
Yes there were some delays, I may be wrong but a short one might have been because a senior member of Borough proposed to his girlfriend ( a Waterloo member ).
It was a short, but romantic, delay!
On 6 Nov 2016 at 2:34pm Gary Gates wrote:
Southover: Seems like we need a little of that ol'l Lewes "We wunt be druv" attitude.
Go to BONCO meetings and nut the f**k up.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 2:40pm Mutley wrote:
I don't understand why we didn't do what we have done in previous years.
Why were we up there so long? Who's idea was it, the town was empty when we came through, the whole thing kicked the arse out of the evening, I didn't bother going to the fire.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 2:43pm In the know wrote:
First off their is no 'united grand' this finished two years ago. So not first, middle or last. Borough or should we say the CNC of the society wanted Southover to wait for them to go to the fire site as she thought the public would follow them = more money for them. It's a slow process one which will change again next year. And no Southover NEVER again when they reformed 11 years ago to stay out of the town!! The first year they marched they were on the back of the old united grand!!
On 6 Nov 2016 at 2:48pm Wallace wrote:
I was sitting on Bonce at the time and I can assure you that's the case. You are right about tagging on to the back of the grand but that was agreed very late in the run up.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 3:40pm boom boom wrote:
We saw the first of Southover parades and had previously bought tickets for the bonfire. Appreciate timings are not concrete (more like a joke) but delay was too long, no explanations and there were alot of frustrated people out there who gave up waiting. We originally picked Southover because of location etc but now wish we hadn't. May be it will be good news for some but I think alot of people are going to think twice before going to Southover next year if last night's debacle was anything to go by. If you want less crowds at the bonfire you certainly did the right thing.
Pity.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 3:44pm dunk wrote:
So am I right in saying that Southover, instead of following Borough, sat on their arses for an hour and a half to allow Borough to march the length of Lewes twice before they sat off?
That is bonkers.
Hope you society types can sort it out better in the future as I would have loved to see all 6 societies marching and instead I saw 5 marching and one sitting. 'ADVANCE' they did not.
And I can't believe it isn't called the United Grand any more! At least it still looks sounds and smells the same as ever.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 4:02pm Get over it wrote:
@dunk there's good reasons why the United Grand doesn't exist anymore in order to maintain each societies independence and in response to authorities who would wish to deal with a single 'organiser'.
As for the delays in procession, it's no secret that southover rarely turn up to meetings so you can't really blame other societies. The fault is with southover.
If the crowd have disappeared by the time you process, isn't that what you wanted? Your archbishop has been very vocal on social media about not wanting visitors.
Oh yes, I forgot, many in southover care more about what they look like on slick photos in front of a crowd than anything else.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 4:09pm Gerty wrote:
Southover not turning up to meetings is a myth. Hasn't been true for a couple of years at least now and anyone worth listening too doesn't keep saying it...perhaps societies worried how many members they are losing with their outdated views should get over it.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 5:35pm Get over it wrote:
Turning up to meetings when you want something is one thing, turning up to meetings for the benefit of all is a whole other. I gues the draw of canapés at the latest art gallery opening in Islington is too tempting.
But the point remains, don't complain about people coming into the town on social media and then moan when no ones watching your procession. You got what you wanted, and that is what you need to get over.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 5:55pm bastian wrote:
the fireworks were really spectacular when they went off, the town thing upset alot of people, and it was Borough who held it up. I thin alot goes on that the forum reader doesn't get, but next year this will not happen, I can remember a time when the Southover led the grand ( as was), so that stuff about staying in their area is a myth. They have not formed form nothing, they have Re formed, they are an original boinfire society, not all ponces and frankly are getting it together, so BONCO is the problem, it has stagnated, and yes I do know it has. Time for it to grow up a bit, sort out its problems and move on, or the 5th will become a tourist attraction, not a tradition.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 6:30pm Southover smuggler wrote:
Smaller crowds are one thing. No crowds because everyone got so bored waiting are quite another.
No one waits for Southover in the way we are expected to. I sat we stop waiting by the prison and double up past Borough if they can't get a move on.
No society is entitled to damage another's night in this way.

On 6 Nov 2016 at 7:00pm Gary Gates wrote:
I have spoken to many people today from different societies. Some say Southover was/is still the victim of the more established societies, small town petty politics and a insular, non-inclusive BONCO. Others have stated that actually it was a deliberate action by Southover andthat they don't attend BONCO meetings very often if at all.
All I know is that I don't want stand around for a hour and a half at the prison and then walk through a empty town at 10.30. Come on Southover..... Fess up. Did you make your members stand about in the cold and miss for what is for many the highlight of the evening? Do you attend the BONCO meetings? Do you fight our corner? Will this happen again next year?
I have to agree with the real lewesian at the beginning of this thread. Unnecessarily long routes around virtually deserted streets. Grow a pair!!!
On 6 Nov 2016 at 8:32pm Sylvia wrote:
As a Southover resident of 35 years, I welcomed the return of the bonfire society, though I have no wish to join. They have come on a lot, but there are two things which they fail on. As others have said above the lengthy route winding around the back roads is simply pointless and ridiculous, which leads to the second problem, that is the ludicrous amount of time it takes before anything happens on their fire site. So please Southover get your act together, cut out the silly parts of your route and most of all therefore, don't keep your audience waiting for hours freezing in the dark. Otherwise, we will vote with our feet, go elsewhere and be home warm in bed before you've begun.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 10:37pm Southover smuggler wrote:
Get up Winterbourne Hollow and get down Western Road!
If Borough's zimmer frames aren't working then double up past them.
Enough is enough!
On 6 Nov 2016 at 10:50pm Local wrote:
The United Grand ended because of insurance issues. Who would want to be liable for the idiots in someone else's Society?
On 6 Nov 2016 at 10:54pm Ben wrote:
I did my usual routine of standing in various parts of town during the evening. Every year I see all societies and their amazing tabs. This year I didn't see a single Southover member at any point of the evening. Very sad to have missed them wherever they were.
On 6 Nov 2016 at 11:50pm Direction wrote:
Didn't Southover get lost last year?
On 7 Nov 2016 at 7:50am No surprise wrote:
They ( Southover ) were told this was a silly idea and what would happen , long wait and no crowd , so they can only blame their own committee for these odd decisions , so should they manage to get 3 delegates to Bonco , the Sag , and BSG group, every tine with informed decision makers then maybe ,just maybe they we might all be on the same page , this was their choice to go so late no one else's ,
On 7 Nov 2016 at 8:26am Get over it wrote:
Absolutely right No Surprise, peeling off at Andrews Lane made sense to me - other societies also make a compromise.
Southover should take more pride in their own procession routes on southover high street and around the southover war memorial, make those the focus of their procession, take pride in the streets of southover and they'll draw the crowds which they so heartily desire.
On 7 Nov 2016 at 9:36am Bonfire Belle wrote:
People I've spoken to say that they want to see Southover march on School Hill with the other societies. Southover are an amazing spectacle, their costumes are great, their tab was original - unlike the Obvious Trumps (yawn). They have a real enthusiasm for the event. Really disappointed with the other societies, some really poor costumes too.
On 7 Nov 2016 at 10:00am Uncle Bulgaria wrote:
Southover can't go all the way down school hill at that point of the evening because other societies that have been around 150 years longer are using that part of the town for their long time established processional routes.
Whether you like it or not Southover are a very new society and should fit into the evening where they can. St Andrews lane was a good compromise. Don't forget you get to walk down School Hill earlier in the evening.
Your problems Saturday night were not caused by BONCO or the Borough it was all down to the SBS committee, at least have the balls to own up to it.
On 7 Nov 2016 at 10:46am Bang wrote:
Local can you explain your statement re the members of one society ruining the grand for every one else .ive never seen the grand as in cliffe so it doesnt coincide with us .are we talking the same idiots that ruin outmeetings for everyone
On 7 Nov 2016 at 11:00am Get over it wrote:
Southover costumes are better compared to the others? Remind me, how many points did southover get at BONCO this year?
A 3rd rate jack sparrow impersonation and a brown sack with a hood does not make a good pioneer.
On 7 Nov 2016 at 11:02am Mighty Cliffe wrote:
Southover, first pioneers consist of a bunch of old men in brown bath robes, followed by the giggling middles classes in their eBay pirate costumes
Total joke. Full of their own self importance
On 7 Nov 2016 at 11:10am Short Memory wrote:
I think you will find that Southover didn't 'tag on the back' of the grand a few years ago. We, The Borough, invited them as our visiting society, so they could experience the event. They had no right to be there as a new society. Get your facts straight, and stay in Southover not the High Street
On 7 Nov 2016 at 11:53am bonfire person wrote:
If Southover don't like having to "fit in" around other processions on the fifth, perhaps it is time for them to revert to running their night on a different day, as they did when they first re-formed! I beleive the 12th is looking quite popular this year :-)
Oh, and if you insist on coming all the way to Cliffe bridge to throw a barrel in the river, firstly a proper barrel would look much better! Secondly, find someone who is capable of throwing it in the river, rather than dangling it over the side for an assistant to push the "barrel" in with their torch.
On 7 Nov 2016 at 6:44pm Old Timer wrote:
They chuck a barrel in the river ???
My God that is a Borough and Cliffe tradition !!!
When you have to copy the traditions of others then that tells all that is needed
On 8 Nov 2016 at 1:25pm Dippsey wrote:
South over needs to sort out who is running the show. Two many chiefs not enough Indians.
Most of south over don't live in Lewes don't come from Lewes so why are they in a society. There are some lovely people in the society but a few think it's about throwing fireworks getting drunk. Have a short out see who's running the show. Get rid of the rubbish

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes banners and crosses 58:132
Lewes banners and crosses

90% of the adult population have had 1 vaccine already in the UK, with around 82% double dosed. It would come as no surprise that... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams