Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Southern Bike Security Thing

On 22 Jun 2015 at 10:11am Traveller wrote:
100 spaces. Counted 11 bikes in there last week. Success!
On 22 Jun 2015 at 12:04pm Si Klist wrote:
11 bikes taking up 8 car spaces is an improved use of space in my book.
Plus, just look at all those ones in the station/by the car park entrance and you'll see the demand for cycle spaces at the station. The main barrier to uptake is the need for a Southern Key Card - mine took over a week to arrive. I reckon more people will use the new shelter to protect their bikes when the winter weather hits.
On 22 Jun 2015 at 12:15pm Penny Farthing wrote:
Hi Si,
I wish I shared your optimism, I suspect many cyclists will abandon their healthy approach in favour of four wheeles and an internal combustion engine come the bad weather.
Presumably Southern could activly "encourage" use of their nw bike shelter by actively prohibiting the leaving of bikes anywhere else on their property?
Penny
On 22 Jun 2015 at 12:41pm Golden Sunbeam wrote:
I agree, a lot of cycles only see the sunny weather
On 22 Jun 2015 at 12:46pm Cyclist wrote:
"I suspect many cyclists will abandon their healthy approach in favour of four wheeles and an internal combustion engine come the bad weather."
Not when it costs a fiver a day to park, they won't.
On 22 Jun 2015 at 1:35pm Country Boy wrote:
Similar facilities at other locations appear to be hugely successful - I guess they got this one wrong.
On 22 Jun 2015 at 3:35pm Penny Farthing wrote:
@Country Boy,
Yes, perhaps a higher percentage of Lewes rail commuters walk or travel by car, rather than cycle, compared to other stations?
Maybe its down to the fact that much of the town is within say 15-20 mins walk (so barely worth the aggro of bothering with a bike and all the helmet/locking it up malarkey etc), otherwise you're then looking at distances to surrounding villages that are perhaps a shade too far for "non enthusiast" cyclists to cycle on a daily basis - i.e. a bit too far to cycle in your normal "office wear".
@ Cyclist - please note, I didn't say they'd be prepared to pay 5 a day to park, only that they might travel by car in poorer weather, as do many commuters who are dropped off, and later collected, by "significant others" etc every day.
On 22 Jun 2015 at 5:02pm Traveller wrote:
Why couldn't they have just put up a roof over some bike racks?

On 22 Jun 2015 at 5:51pm cyclist wrote:
My card arrived within 2 days and i actually quite liked using it. I suspect that when people catch on to the realisation that it's a free, easy to use facility then it will fill up fast..
On 22 Jun 2015 at 6:39pm Paul wrote:
I love the people who drive to the station get out and their dutiful partner gets out from the passenger seat and is allowed to drive the car back home. The tiger that came to tea households - and still a lot of them about ...
On 22 Jun 2015 at 7:49pm The lion came to lunch wrote:
WTF is that about ?
On 22 Jun 2015 at 8:36pm TheOld Mayor wrote:
only a fiver to park all day - by Jove that's cheap !
On 22 Jun 2015 at 9:11pm Peddler wrote:
Does anyone know if the Southern key smartcard has to be 'charged' with a train ticket in order to use the new cycle shelter? I don't coomute to London so the new keycard is not relevant to me at the moment, but I do cycle to the station...every day come rain or shine. So far I've asked 4 Lewes rail staff and none could answer my question. Guess I just order the card and find out, but would be good to hear from those currently using it. Thanks.
On 22 Jun 2015 at 9:26pm Cranks Pony wrote:
the Southern keycard doesn't need any ticket loaded on it to open the doors to the bike hub
On 22 Jun 2015 at 10:13pm Traveller wrote:
I just find it ridiculous that everything's got to be computerised to within an inch of it's life now.
I cycle to the station most days. My needs are simple - a bit of metal to lock the bike up to, a simple roof to keep the rain and snow off...

On 23 Jun 2015 at 6:55am Sussex Jim wrote:
I did some research recently, and it seems that many station car parks in the area are cheaper than other parking for all day.
On 23 Jun 2015 at 8:23am Jeff wrote:
@traveller. If they did that they wouldn't be able to track your whereabouts so easily.
On 23 Jun 2015 at 10:03am ar10642 wrote:
If it's anything like the Haywards Heath one it will be incredibly popular as soon as people realise it's there. HH has a massive covered shed with keycard access AND a huge double deck outside shelter and they're both very well used. Usually no space on the outside one after about 10AM.
On 23 Jun 2015 at 11:34am cyclist wrote:
Incredible that something so useful could attract any criticism at all. It's secure, dry, convenient and even has a really good tyre pump and tools for use. What more do you want?
On 23 Jun 2015 at 12:44pm Joe Kerr wrote:
It's a great facility so well done Southern. Just one tiny little improvement would be to try running a train service next.
On 23 Jun 2015 at 1:02pm Rookie wrote:
Only 3.70 all day 2 minutes away at Mountfield Road car park.
On 23 Jun 2015 at 4:48pm ar10642 wrote:
Assuming 20 working days in a month, Mountfield Road is still 74 wasted every month. Does driving to the station in anything other than torrential rain ever make sense if you're in reasonable cycling/walking distance?

On 24 Jun 2015 at 10:18am Cyclist wrote:
I'll always cycle to the station. I live about 30 minutes walk away on the edge of town so it's not really practical to do that every day.
I already pay 4k odd to commute, the idea of paying another 5 a day (or a few hundred a year) to park is pretty difficult to digest. Meanwhile, I'd actually have to get a new car as Mrs Cyclist needs our only one all day for the young family (not that she uses it that much, but emergencies and all that). So add all that together, and the fitness angle, and the stupidity of buying an extra car just to drive it 5 mins to the station, leave it there all day, and drive it back. And to be honest cycling is often (a lot) quicker than driving, particularly at rush hour.
Torrential rain isn't a problem - just buy some waterproof trousers

On 25 Jun 2015 at 9:00am Belladonna wrote:
I think the Souther key card can only be used for local commutes at the moment.

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Landport bound 52:132
Landport bound

They're everywhere, popping up like mushrooms but much uglier. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams