Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

South Downs National Park

On 19 Mar 2009 at 7:13pm Local wrote:
I see Bill Bryson the writer and president of the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England is supporting the campaign to include Lewes in the South Downs National Park. I'm all for it and wonder what other people think.

On 19 Mar 2009 at 10:06pm Lopster wrote:
its a must - despite all the existing "agreed" proposals for the town - being within the park boundaries will ensure at least a sensible voice of reason in any future town developments

On 20 Mar 2009 at 12:15am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Just thoroughly disappointing that they did not resolve this years ago - it could have saved the town from recent blights.
And yes - I'm all for the inclusion of Lewes within the National Park.

On 20 Mar 2009 at 6:47am I dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
To include Lewes in the South Downs National Park would make any future building expansion and development tricky. It's not coincidence that Lewes was excluded. Should Lewes be included?
Yes, of course it should, so read the writing on the wall.
PhilX

On 20 Mar 2009 at 7:49am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Absolutely yes!
They'll want build everything here that they can't build anywhere else if it isn't.

On 20 Mar 2009 at 7:55am Bean flicker wrote:
So does everyone want Lewes to stay as it is, stuck in the 1960's without any sort of development and expansion to allow it to progress and move into the 21st century, whilst still maintaining it's historical aspect.
If half of you lot were in chatge of this town, it would've gone t*ts up years ago.

On 20 Mar 2009 at 8:27am Outsider wrote:
National parks can still have developments within their boundaries. Problem is, the planning decisions would be taken by unelected people from Hampshire and other areas away from Lewes, meaning even less opportunities to influence them. National park planning authorities can be remote and unfamiliar with the local area. It's not all win.

On 20 Mar 2009 at 9:56am Local wrote:
Bean flicker - You haven't noticed that some of the worst aspects of the town are examples of the 'development and expansion to allow it to progress' that have taken place since the 1960s - starting with ESCC's headquarters, which is a blight on the town visible from every angle.

On 20 Mar 2009 at 11:52am sashimi wrote:
Bean flicker, I'm with Local here. Lewes in the National Park is a Win Win situation. It won't affect the amount of housing development the Town has to accept (that remains a government target). It just raises the standard that developments will have to be built to. Also, the County Council won't get away with putting in the cheapest street lights and pavement surfaces and the National Park Authority will pay for decent signage and facilities for managing the tourists visiting the Park. So the whole Town will look better - and it won't cost us extra on the rates.

On 20 Mar 2009 at 12:17pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Sashimi, I agree. Positive progress please.

On 20 Mar 2009 at 11:05pm Geoff wrote:
Just to correct something.
People from Lewes don't make decisions now, so relying on another set of people will make little difference to that. We only have approximately 2 votes out of 12, and even these two don't always do Lewes a favour. it was a casting vote by a Lewes Lib Dem (who allegedly agreed beforehand, not to do so) that resulted in the much despised, and now defunct HQ gallery, with associated overdevelopment.
The planning commitee we have do not make site visits, do not read planning reports properly, rarely debate applications in meetings in a meaningful way, ignore representation from Lewes residents, and ignore regularly the views of Lewes Town Council. In the past few years have the PAC has approved a number of blunders because they have ignored members of the public trying to correct mistakes made in reports by planning officers.
So whatever a different planning process might be like, it would be hard for it to damage Lewes more. Just take a look at the illegally rebuilt Council owned, partial wall in East St car park if you want to see what our current lot are capable of doing to a protected historic Conservation Area. A yet to be resolved, jawdropping saga of incompetence that is coming up for it's second anniversary!

On 21 Mar 2009 at 12:00pm Local wrote:
That's right Geoff. And there is also LDC's habit of 'misfiling' objections from, for example, the Environment Agency. A lot of people in Lewes are still trying to decide whether the councillors and some of the officers are just plain stupid or something worse.

On 21 Mar 2009 at 1:19pm Local Town Resident wrote:
...and 'misfiling' Highway Authority recommendations of refusal, writing reports about sites as if they have visited them, when they haven,t', failing to inspect new (flawed) drainage but approving it anyway, not realising buildings are listed etc. I think I would rather trust a national park planner.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes winged messenger 90:132
Lewes winged messenger

Why is public money being spent on it? Maybe because there are people prepared to campaign for a safe cycling route from Lewes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie