Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

SouthOver Not so bad afterall

On 6 Nov 2015 at 12:06pm smuggler wrote:
Having read the condescending comments about the rest of us, notably Southover, on this forum posted by members of the mighty Cliffe, it was marvellous to see just how many ACTIVE Cliffe members (on the quiet!) joined the Southover ranks last night. And would you believe it, we were praised by said Cliffe folk for our warm welcome and generous demeanour in sharing 'our' night with them. They, and us, put to shame the pathetic and small minded inbreds who feel the need to hate.
On 6 Nov 2015 at 1:00pm CSBS wrote:
Good post smug
The rest of us still laugh at you though
On 6 Nov 2015 at 1:18pm smuggler wrote:
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win - Gandhi

On 6 Nov 2015 at 4:20pm Pedantic Micro Manager wrote:
On 6 Nov 2015 at 5:54pm Muggle wrote:
What DID happen with Southovers firework display though???.......
On 6 Nov 2015 at 6:20pm Struggle wrote:
B'ggered if I know
On 6 Nov 2015 at 6:29pm misfire wrote:
Well!
On 6 Nov 2015 at 6:56pm Fiery wrote:
Smuggler
Do you honestly think that your display was worth 5??????
I bought 4 tickets and we were all hugely dissapointed, very short and very unspectacular.
I think we'll be back at CSBS next year and stick 20 in their buckets.
I'd love to hear an explanation. Genuine question, no trolling intended.
On 6 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm Midlander wrote:
The aura of smugness from DFLBS was pretty spectacular though!
On 6 Nov 2015 at 7:21pm Rookie Ron wrote:
I think Southover along with the others suffered with the weather yesterday
Setting up in the wind and rain inevitably leads to a few or not so few non fires
On 6 Nov 2015 at 7:23pm Pyropete wrote:
After going to south over in 2013 (which by the way was the best fireworks display I have ever seen in over 30 years of going to Lewes) I willingly got tickets for another great display, especially after reading in their programme how they were going to be as good as or greater than previous years. I am gen
On 6 Nov 2015 at 7:31pm Pyropete wrote:
I am genuinely concerned about what happened and I'm sure it can't have had anything to do with the weather. Also the fireworks are in the wrong place as they will nearly always be getting blown over the crowd being on the south west side! Can someone explain?
On 6 Nov 2015 at 8:06pm Bonfire Boy wrote:
The display was affected by the weather. As those of Cliffe and Borough from what I have heard.
On 6 Nov 2015 at 8:08pm Bonfire Boy wrote:
As for your point about the crowd, I believe you are talking out of your fundament.
On 6 Nov 2015 at 8:50pm Bob wrote:
Pyropete is right about the fireworks being in a bad place.
I had large pieces of shells hitting me in the head. No firework display should be set up on the SW side of the audience as it's the general prevailing wind direction. I also agree it wasn't a weather problem. All other displays looked great. It was just a lack of fireworks and inventiveness.
On 6 Nov 2015 at 10:06pm Bored of the "Dfl" whine wrote:
Firstly the firework display is nothing to do with original post and I notice lack of comment regarding its content
Shame the fireworks didn't go to plan ; not something that south over planned or expected
As for the dflbs. Yawn
When you have all finished your stories of entitlement to genuine township rights ..... Maybe just maybe you'll start believing it for yourselves
On 7 Nov 2015 at 12:29am Belladonna wrote:
CSBS was brilliant display. Bonfire took a while to get going but had almost gone by the time we left firesite. Water loos display looked very short from what we could see.
On 7 Nov 2015 at 12:30am Bonfireman wrote:
Whatever the debate about the value of the south over fireworks can I just point out that the chances of smuggler, the original poster, being other than a cliffe troll are zero
On 7 Nov 2015 at 7:45am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
From the front of our house we can see the aerials from CSBS and Cliffe and at least some of the fireworks going up from Cliffe's tab, and by going up the garden we can see Borough.
We didn't bother going up the garden, but Cliffe and CSBS aerials both looked excellent. They overlapped quite a bit time-wise, so we could compare and both of us felt that Cliffe's were just a bit bigger and better.

Shame that Southover had problems, theirs have been excellent in the past.
I really liked the fact that at one point Borough, CSSBS and Cliffe's displays all coincided. Not only was it more awesome, but it meant it was over quicker and the dog spent less time barking her head off.
I suppose synchronising displays would be impractical, even if the societies wanted to do it.
On 7 Nov 2015 at 8:07am Oggy Oggy Oggy wrote:
The severe weather, heavy rain all day and high winds must have affected all displays. the Borough up on the hill seemed to get a huge amount off however
On 7 Nov 2015 at 8:07am smuggler wrote:
No, not a Cliffe troll Just wanted to make the point that bonfire is the glue that holds the town the together. Loving Lewes, it pains me to read such nasty comments and or witness breathtaking arrogance that is intended to divide. What is interesting is that as a Southover member, I have to forever justify my existence, Whereas as a Cliffe member, (or other), I can spout bile and point and laugh and no one seems to mind. What has the world come to when we cant celebrate together.

On 7 Nov 2015 at 8:37am Townie wrote:
I'm not associated with any bonfire society but i can see Waterloo and Commercial square from my garden.
I thought Waterloo's display was a bit short. CSBS has been, in the past, the dist display of the lot but it lacked a finale....the aerial displays were superb but many people were expecting a last aerial assult and it just didn't happen...weather conditions maybe ?
Anyway, it was a credit to ALL societies considering the conditions.
On 7 Nov 2015 at 12:32pm Lewes Chap wrote:
If you were at the site, you would have seen that there was of course a brilliant finale. Where were the 'many people' you talk about - also in your garden?
On 7 Nov 2015 at 12:33pm High Dudgeon wrote:
And then there are those who just happily get on with Bonfire, enjoying the company of fellow Bonfire Boys and Girls, whatever their allegiance, much like it used to be pre-Facebitch and Twatter where the occasional squabble was generally sorted out over a pint by the weekend. My experience suggests that this is the vast majority of Bonfire and having wandered down to Cliffe Corner at the end of the evening, it was very much that happy mix and the old 'fraternal greetings' that I witnessed and enjoyed.
On 7 Nov 2015 at 1:45pm what a to-do wrote:
The weather was appalling, and after all bonfire night is for society members, if the public buy a ticket to be on a society site they get what is available-but then most people don't actually know what goes into putting on a firework display. The wind curtailed most of the finale's, and the rain was enough to short out anyones circuits.
Also, I believe Southover have marked their 10 years by using their own crew- but then that means putting all the kit togther etc-which will have to be built up over time-you DFL's want everything now, like spoilt brats.
On 7 Nov 2015 at 2:10pm true to each other wrote:
Of course if you support societies by paying your 5 they can get bigger and better, but if you just want instant out-of-the- can you entertainment, go to a display in London.
I know what Keith Austin would have to say about this, he'd have been proud.

On 7 Nov 2015 at 10:34pm astrid wrote:
can someone please tell me what DFL's stands for?
On 9 Nov 2015 at 12:18pm Pyro boy wrote:
Wow, so many questions!
As a member of the newly formed SBS pyro team, I can happily inform you that nothing went wrong with our display. It all fired as planned. Despite the best effort of the elements over the during the setup. :-(
Speaking of which, due to our firing time (which was on schedule. To the minute!) the rain had gone and we were blessed with a starlit sky.
As to comparisons to previous displays, a little info might explain. This year, the display was the first wholly organised, set up and fired by the society members own "Pyro crew". We have had to purchase our own firing system, tubes, racks and everything required to fire safely and professionally. We did not have the luxury of a high end computerised firing system that could choreograph everything in advance. We were also limited by the firing site, (long and narrow, with trees all around meant we could only fire straight up.)
And if you're comparing to previous years, I can categorically state that our aerial display was 100% better than last years! ;-)
I am happy to try to answer any serious questions regarding the display and setup.
As to general comments regarding our members geographical origins, I'll leave that to someone else to answer! But it seems to be pretty similar to every other society as far as I can tell? ;-)
What I can say, is that thanks to the support of our members and the local community, we will continue to get bigger and better over the next ten years and beyond.
ADVANCE!
On 9 Nov 2015 at 8:14pm resident wrote:
If the display is hoping to get bigger and better over the next few years I would hope that a different site for the firework display could be acquired. In my opinion t his one is too close to residential area and too disruptive to the immediate community, many of whom do not support it.
On 9 Nov 2015 at 8:45pm bastian wrote:
how is it close to a residential community compared to other sites-having lived on Cliffe's doorstep for many years-er... that's how it is, and, the point of bonfire is that it reclaims the town. Obviously the autistic mind that cannot accept any interruption (of one week or so) of normaility is a problem for some of you, but 50 weeks of the year YOU can do as you please-two weeks, that is all ,a nd that is considered too much-get over it.

On 10 Nov 2015 at 2:29pm Moaning myrtle wrote:
Of course it was 100% better than last years, SBS didn't have a display last year!
On 10 Nov 2015 at 7:20pm Astrid wrote:
Bastion it is really bad form to use autistic traits to make some lame point shame on you!!

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Swan penny 112:132
Swan penny

I would hazard a guess that:
a) very few people even notice
b) half of the very few that do think it's the work of a few... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde