Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

So why did you move here, then?

On 20 Jun 2007 at 9:47pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
I see that world famous author Lesley Thompson has moved to Lewes from hammersmith (see viva Lewes on line). However Ms Thompson doesn't like the fact that the town is 'too white'. So what did she expect a small market town in Sussex to be like? Expect anti bonfire ramblings from this non-entity come autumn.

On 20 Jun 2007 at 9:54pm Thje Tooth Fairy wrote:
Sorry forgot to finish rant: go home you intellectual
left wing dyke, and leave us to our pitch forks, torches and bigotry.

On 20 Jun 2007 at 10:51pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
I might actually get slated for this, but I actually agree with you. Yes the Lewes District is very white in the last census I think it was about 97.9% White British, that is a very normal figure for small towns in the south.
Just checking the stats nationally it is 88% white British, with the diaspora communities mainly centred in the large metropolitan cities. Britain is still overwhelmingly white British, Christian (culturally with the celebration of Christmas, Easter, Bonfire) country. I think it is intellectually redundent to complain that an area is too white when the vast majority of the people in the country are. i think you are on dodgy ground if you argue whether the ethnicity of an area is too white/black/Asian or not, ultimately people will live where they want to and that can't be socially enginered.
i think it was a comment to be deliberatly provocative and as someone who has lived in Tower Hamlets and has chosen to live in a diverse area I don't find the comments helpful. My liberal credibility is probably damaged now so i will go off and see if anyone else posts on the topic.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 9:26am The Super K wrote:
HERE HERE, Tell it Brother!

On 21 Jun 2007 at 10:12am Hunter wrote:
Would it be acceptable for me to move to Hammersmith and complain that it is too black?
When are patronising idiots like Thompson going to understand that people in Lewes are as proud of their culture as any ethnic group.
By saying that Lewes is "too white" she implies that there is something intrinsically wrong with white culture that can only be cured with a liberal sprinkling of black faces.
Surely this simplistic way of thinking is as offensive to black people as it is to whites!

On 21 Jun 2007 at 10:46am ExiledfromLewes wrote:
Is that for me or TF, anyway i try and be cautious when entering these debates because I don't want my words to be misconstrued (therefore out of safety I tend to use stats). I read the interview on Viva Lewes and found her comments to be a bit silly and I think she was making a statement that she was from London and she was a bit more culturally advanced than Lewes's staid mono-culture.
To Hunter, Hammersmith and Fulham for London is not the most ethnically diverse London borough either. whats your views Super K or are you going to sit this one out/don't care.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 10:51am ExiledfromLewes wrote:
Failed to read the banner for TF, are we going to go around calling each other brother now to reafirm our Lewesian culture and identity.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 10:53am Chav wrote:
What do you mean not enough nignogs? We've got Ian Mead, he makes up the percentage on his own.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 12:27pm Tongue in Cheek wrote:
There are not as many football stadiums here as there are in London either !

On 21 Jun 2007 at 12:41pm EFL Tongue in Cheek wrote:
Thats probably due to Londoners being more interested in football I suppose.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 2:24pm me wrote:
Just read the interview myself. Londoners who needs them? Not this town. We already have Toynbee, if we are not carefull we are going to end up with a whole bunch of these fools. Twatchell was here the other day as well. It's almost like a scouting mission preparing for the invasion of the right on message brigade.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 3:24pm The Super K wrote:
Can't see what the problem is... So what we're mainly white in Lewes doesn't make someone who comes from a Blacker area better than the rest of us. If its so great there then why move to Lewes.
Its not like its our fault we're too white
Sitting back waiting to be called a rasist........

On 21 Jun 2007 at 3:58pm ExiledfromLewes wrote:
Not quite sure what a Rasist (sorry you can call me pedantic) is, but your cetainly not racist and that is what I was scared of when I first posted back.
I thought it would be common sense that semi rural areas in England would be mainly white, in a country where 88% of the country are white British. I don't know how she would advocate that the rural areas become more diverse, do you move people from the cities and spread them round the country. In that case there still would not be a noticable difference. Or do you increase immigration into this country so it becomes more of a 50/50 split. I think her statement was condescending, making the point that people in Lewes are stuck in the past and have not modernised in comparison to the cities.

On 21 Jun 2007 at 7:57pm Northern Bigot wrote:
Well said TF! "All folks as comes to Sussex must follow Sussex ways" These lefties having ruined or refused to life in areas which have been destroyed by following their politically correct agenda, seek out other places to ruin or escape from the ruins! You can bet she will be targeting traditional Lewes ways, another "Humanity United" sweat! I only speak for myself, these so called intellectuals always claim to speak for the greater good! There are blacks in Lewes, as i was crossing the road. i was nearly runover by one in a volvo . You would think he would recognise a Zebra crossing!

On 21 Jun 2007 at 9:09pm St Johner wrote:
Why she had to raise the issue of ethnic diversity in the first place is beyond me. The general theme of the posts under this subject are spot on. Generally, non-whites are more reluctant to move out of the large metropolitan areas due to a fear of non-acceptance - whether that's what is experienced is up for debate. I'm originally from London and I think that wherever you are from and whatever your creed, if you care about Lewes and its individuality and spirit, that's all that matters. And you have to balance some the wurzels a bit :-)

On 22 Jun 2007 at 9:56am Maddy wrote:
I completely agree with the sentiments expressed here. I went from Brighton to Peckham in London and then moved to Lewes a couple of years ago. And Lewes is very different, I think in a good way for what I want now, though I enjoyed my years in Peckham very much. For example, when my bloke moved down from Walthamstow, he couldn't believe that the shops here don't have bars and grills on the windows at night.
There are both good and bad sides to living in both big cities and small towns. Hammersmith, or London generally, is more ethnically diverse, have a better transport system and a great selection of restaurants, galleries, clubs etc etc. Places like Lewes are safer and prettier. They are just different. Big conurbations tend to be more ethnically diverse because they offer a greater concentration of jobs, and I suppose many ethnic minority people stay in cities because of their families and their communities - as do many white people. Many people - of all races - don't have a choice and I would suggest that Lesley whatsername is lucky to be able to choose.
And if she is suggesting that diversity is just about ethnicity, well, then she's just too simplistic to be a very good writer.

On 22 Jun 2007 at 10:35am exiledfromLewes wrote:
I agree with these last two statements, especially about people chosing to live in major met Cities for the jobs and the opportunity join existing diaspora communities that exist in the major cities.
Anyway for a small town Lewes has it's fair share of diversity and I feel that people who have come to settle in Lewes have done well and added to the town. How many people have bought meals from Chaula, or eaten at the Dilraj, Beijing etc or participated in one of the many diverse events the town has put on from Turkish dancing to Romanian orchestral music, there is even a Finnish Opera soon. She will soon find out that whilst we maybe an overwhelmingly white bunch, we can still be a pretty viabrant community.

On 22 Jun 2007 at 7:03pm George Doors wrote:
You cannot force an area to be more this and more that, unless you want to instigate social engineering. People move to different areas for many reasons. Lewes is a very tolerant and sensible town and extremly welcoming - as is Sussex, and I speak from experience.

On 22 Jun 2007 at 10:41pm For The Record wrote:
I do express some concern about the rapid influx of non-local folk moving into the town who are intolerant of local customs and thus threatening the local norms and mores of the community.
For example..........the UK has Bonfire night - Lewes (& East Sussex) has Bonfire - how many newcomers to the town understand and appreciate this difference?

On 2 Jul 2007 at 6:47pm George Doors wrote:
Fair point Record. It is also about learning and respecting - when in Rome....

On 2 Jul 2007 at 7:24pm For The Record wrote:
Lewes is a wonderfully supportive town. If you embrace Lewes, it will embrace you in return.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Willeys Bridge 142:143
Willeys Bridge

What happened to my post made last night? Is there a curfew from 11 pm? What are the rules with this forum? Just tell me and... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa