Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

So who shall I vote for

On 17 Apr 2015 at 9:13am the kronic wrote:
We seem to have a wide range of political "experts" on here who all favour their chosen party.
However, i don't have a clue who i'm voting for yet. The Tory voters slag off Labour and visa vera, no one seems to like UKIP and the Lib Dems seem very wishy-washy.
I work for local authority so i should back labour, but i can't stand Milliband and i feel they will undo all the hard work gone in to bringing the economy into line.
I like Cameron but don't want our public assets sold off and i always feel there's just something about the Tories that's not very working class, which i proudly am.
Is UKIP the answer ? Don't really know enough about them and would you let them run the country ?
Forget the greens and Lib Dems
So, where do i go from here ? i know my one little vote won't make much difference but it's my vote.
Go on, sell me your party and why i should vote for them.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 9:21am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Voting Labour in Lewes won't increase the risk of a Labour government one iota, so I'd say that's a safe course of action in your case.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 9:27am Belladonna wrote:
Someone posted on here a website that allows you to answer a variety of questions on different political issues. It then tells you which party your views most closely match.
Did anyone record the Lewes Hustings last week ? Would be good to see that.

On 17 Apr 2015 at 10:44am Phfellow2004 wrote:
Curious comment on page 21 of The Sussex Express today within the article about A27 improvements. Norman Baker is referred to as the Former Lib Dem MP? Does the SE know something that we do not know?
On 17 Apr 2015 at 10:56am Country Boy wrote:
I am from a working class background (my dad was a grease monkey). I made my own money by working hard and invested it in property and a pension pot. I won't vote for any party that wants to take away what I have earned by way of higher taxes etc.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 11:17am Albert Square wrote:
@phfellow2004, Parliament is now dissolved so there are no MPs. See how the country has gone to rack and ruin as a result? ;-)
On 17 Apr 2015 at 11:21am Fairmeadow wrote:
However you vote in this constituency, the outcome will be an MP for Lewes who would support David Cameron as PM. Does it matter one jot whether he is a LibDem or she is a Tory?
Personally I am going to vote for the party whose policies seem to me to be the most sensible - not either of the two likely winners. I'm most certainly not going to vote for anyone who thinks the solution to the Lewes housing crisis is to make the council sell any nice council house that comes vacant to DFLs and, after the tuition fees debacle, I don't believe the LibDems would stop them doing this.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 12:38pm Torylise wrote:
Why would you like David Cameron. He thinks anyone who didn't go to the 'right' schools etc are peasant scum. Everything pledge he made has been broken. Nick Clegg went back on 1 pledge & was hauled over the coals for it. The right wing press keep Cameron's pledges hidden. Examples:
Vote Blue, go green! Cameron was heard last year saying let's get rid of this green crap.
'I'll come Down on the bankers like a ton of bricks' - what did he do? Went to the EU to protect banker's bonuses.
Will get immigration down to the 10s of thousands. Er No...
Will put an end to tax avoidance/evasion. Nope. Maybe because the main players involved in this are the ones bankrolling the Tory party.
Won't reorganise the NHS from top down? Did exactly that! And it's a mess.
They still blame the Labour Party for the recession. This was a world recession essentially started in the US but partly the result of Thatcher deregulating the banking regulations in the 80s.
She also sold off council houses without replacing them starting the property bubble & that is the tories great idea in their 2015 manifesto.
If the tories were to get in again by themselves it will be brilliant...for the 1% of the wealthiest & food banks for the rest of us which is exactly where they want us.
A privatised NHS & all public services closed.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 1:19pm wrote:
Well when you stop and have a good look at it . if the con. Or lib get in we will all have big cut backs . also n h s not get the hard cash it needs. On the wards . . labour would talk the talk but thats it clussless . green party well just look at Brighton . hour council tax would go sky high and we would still have big cuts in services . all we need is some one to call it black or white and stand up for the people no p.c get on my t#ts
On 17 Apr 2015 at 2:07pm Historian wrote:
As they all agreed at the hustlings, just write "None of the above" on the paper !! That's gets COUNTED too !
On 17 Apr 2015 at 2:18pm RedHeartedCyclist wrote:
On Fri 17 Apr at 9:13am the kronic wrote:
So, where do i go from here ? i know my one little vote won't make much difference but it's my vote.
Go on, sell me your party and why i should vote for them.
If you go to the Vote for Policies website you can find out what political party holds views which match your own.
You'll save hours of your life not having to listen to the politicans and others on this board before now and May 7th

Check it out here »
On 17 Apr 2015 at 2:31pm Mark wrote:
@belladonna. For the blind survey you need to Google "Policies not Personalities". A good exercise for undecided voter. And I too would like to see the hustings but I haven't been able to find them online. Are they anywhere out there?
On 17 Apr 2015 at 6:12pm Lewes loony wrote:
Based on the sea of orange "Vote Baker" poster signs leading from Lewes to Newhaven then there are still plenty of Lib dems out there. I will vote for a candidate who hasnt been parachuted in from Hampshire (UKIP) or in any way shape or form Greens. The greens have turned Brighton into a laughing stock and we dont want them here.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 6:18pm Paul Newman wrote:
Choosing Polices is a stupid idea. Your spending polices and taxation polices are not unrelated whatever Labour try to pretend and every policy choice has consequences .
More immigration - More pressure on jobs and housing
Higher Public sector Pay- Fewer services
More Restrictions on Employment terms - Higher unemployment
More foreign aid - less hospitals and schools

..and so on. Only the Green Party think you can pick policies as if they were chocolates
On 17 Apr 2015 at 7:23pm Factchecker wrote:
For us to take you seriously we need to know that you base your unsubstantiated sweeping statements about things on some kind of fact. So, any news, one way or the other about your views on London house prices?
On 17 Apr 2015 at 7:24pm Sussex Jim wrote:
The Kronic- The recent (parliament is now dissolved) Government has indeed done much to turn things around: and it would be stupid to allow a Labour government to wreck all the tories have acheived.
Why do you think you should vote Labour just because you work for the local authority? The Conservative Party has supported the working man for as long as I can remember, as well as the "toffs".
There is a distinction between proper working men like yourself- and other "working class" who put no input into society and think the world owes them a living. They are the ones that a Labour goverment are best suited to.
On polling day, your colleagues will not know who you voted for. Vote as you think best.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 8:09pm Pork Sword wrote:
I thought Newman's pig ignorant misogyny was fitting enough for scrapping the bottom of the Tory barrel, but Jim, would you care to explain this statement? "....other "working class" who put no input into society and think the world owes them a living". Could you explain exactly who this demographic is?
Have this Labour supporting human filth shipped of to concentration camps heh Jim?
On 17 Apr 2015 at 8:19pm Floating Voter wrote:
Nationally if you believe in anti austerity than bloody vote for a party that has that as a pledge in their manifesto. Don't get waylaid by the two horse race BS that the blues and yellows are spouting STILL. Locally, vote for candidates who you truly believe will stand up and try and protect local services after Central Government is finally shaped. For that reason I will not be voting Conservative or LibDem at either National or Local level as both parties have been utterly complicit in 5 years of devastating cuts to local services in Lewes at County and District Level. The most vulnerable have suffered at the greed of the sub prime bankers, this must now be reversed!! Make an effort and 'Google' your preferred candidates and work out whether they will protect your local services over the next few years. If the Tories get in they WILL slash local council budgets over the next two years by the same magnitude as the last FIVE years! Please be warned...end of.

On 17 Apr 2015 at 10:12pm Mark wrote:
The same? I shudder to think what they'ld get up to with another mandate. They're much more extreme than Maggie was. She just nervously considered the notion of selling off that part of our national heritage that used to be The Royal Mail.
On 17 Apr 2015 at 10:22pm Southover Queen wrote:
I disagree, Mark. What distinguished Thatcher was a clear strategy. She believed that her policies would transform society, that the riches the privileges generated would trickle down and benefit the little people. That's been exposed as a myth long ago.

This lot don't even have a coherent narrative, and their manifesto, consisting of bribes and the occasional shaft of ideologically driven policy, is transparent in its lack of purpose. It strikes me as neatly summed up in PN's dismissal of voting according to policies as a stupid idea. I salute Kronic's wish to consider his vote carefully. I hope he'll spot some of the glaring holes in the promises being touted, by all the parties.

On 17 Apr 2015 at 10:43pm Paul Newman wrote:
I don`t understand how you can go out read a paper and presumably have some basic maths and not understand that spending 90 billion more than you collect every year cannot go on.
You may like to imagine I can be cast as an extremist but there are many people in the Labour Party as horrified as me at Ed`s lurch to the left and what it will mean for a sustainable government.
There is nothing compassionate or progressive about spending more on debt interest than on housing or on risking the sort of societal breakdown they have suffered not just in Greece but also Italy and Spain etc.
One of the problems with Red Ed doing a deal with the Unions to take power from the cross section of Labour MPs was that they had to shut up while he steered the Party into class war territory .
That gives some plausibility to your idea that there "austerity" is an extreme position . It is not it is the main stream belief a much of Labour all Liberals and everyone right of that.
In fact it is the position of everyone who wants to govern for the country and not just the Scots or the Public Sector .

It isn`t a choice anyway
On 17 Apr 2015 at 11:34pm Judge Montal wrote:
I hereby sentence Sussex Dim and Paul Oldman to 5 years for constantly posting their abusive crap on the Lewes Website and for breaching their ASBO order!
On 18 Apr 2015 at 6:07am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I don't think it was Ed Milliband who steered us into "class war territory". It is the relentless attacks on the poor, the sick and the vulnerable and the public services they depend upon perpetrated by Cameron, Osborne et al that have polarised society.

On 18 Apr 2015 at 8:04am Montal Patient wrote:
I like my Care in the Community
On 18 Apr 2015 at 8:38am Mark wrote:
Anybody who is clever enough to read a paper and do basic maths should be capable of working out that whether or not public debt needs to be dealt with is not the entire issue. The big questions lie in the choices that are made in dealing with the debt. These neoliberal extremists have chosen to alter the laws to facilitate hiding wealth abroad. They chose to reduce taxation for millionaires. They chose to allow an utterly corrupt French company to declare war on the most vulnerable, disabled people in our society because, it seems, we couldn't afford them. Mansion owners paying Band H council tax. I could rant on....
On 18 Apr 2015 at 9:09am Atos Castrate and Aramis wrote:
Monsieur Mark we laugh in your face ! .You are a shopkeeper among a nation of shopkeepers - and we are your landlord .

On 18 Apr 2015 at 10:33am Churchill wrote:
Some chicken , some neck , circa 1944
On 18 Apr 2015 at 4:35pm Paul Newman wrote:
Yes but thats lies and loose change. The top earners have contributed more under the coalition than they did under Blair or Brown and the Mansion tax is just another progressive element in what is already an exceedingly progressive tax regime that hurts the economy
You may not understand this but Balls does I can promise you as does Chuka U.
Even if you do not understand ..I mean agree, then even you can presumably see that the few hundred million claimed hardly scratches 90 billion let alone the surplus we need to run ?
Surely ...you can add up right ?
Right ?

On 18 Apr 2015 at 5:28pm Mark wrote:
Income generated by top earners has increased. Can you work out why? Hint: It's got to do with percentages. Are you good with percentages?! Patronising man.
On 19 Apr 2015 at 12:46am belladonna wrote:
yes we have to get the deficit down. But as I understand it this country has never run a surplus from the first days of functioning parliament and has always been in debt to the bankers

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Pells 121:132
The Pells

It's part of a mini Holland scheme for widening pavements and discouraging car use,which on the face of it sounds like a good... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine