Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

So what do you guys rate as the best pub in Lewes.

On 29 May 2017 at 7:17pm Dave Williams wrote:
So i love Lewes.....I always love visiting and the pubs are great....but which now is 2017 do you rate as the best....and the worst.....!!!!!!
On 29 May 2017 at 7:28pm Hamid Barr wrote:
Any one not frequented by the sort of people that say "guys."
On 29 May 2017 at 7:33pm Dfl wrote:
The Crown
On 29 May 2017 at 8:29pm Redballs wrote:
The windmill
The Pewter Pot
The Fruiterers
Prince of Wales
Top and Bottom Legion
On 29 May 2017 at 9:04pm Private Ear wrote:
@Hamid - I thoroughly agree and I'd also add a pub that isn't frequented by the sort of person who thinks it's okay to use six exclamation marks in a row ("We're all totally mad here!!!!!!!").
On 29 May 2017 at 9:35pm Bert wrote:
Ahhh Mr Williams, as that bar maid said to - "that's a hard one "
On 29 May 2017 at 10:12pm Worst pub wrote:
Worst pub is Roland Gorringe. No Harvey's.
On 29 May 2017 at 10:30pm Alan the cat wrote:
Marks and sparks petrol station theme pub. Cracking barmaids
On 30 May 2017 at 12:02am Corner Stool wrote:
@Hamid, totally agree. Also try to avoid those frequented by people who refer to everyone as 'bud'. wtf !?
On 30 May 2017 at 12:04am Mario wrote:
I protest! This thread is clearly sexist.
The original poster is only interested in the opinion of 'guys'. Do the opinions of 'girls' not matter? Clearly not, according to the title!

On 30 May 2017 at 7:05am J D Wetherspoon wrote:
I saw the inside of a pub on the TV news recently. The drinker being interviewed was sitting next to a beer pump with "£2.39" on the clip.
Unfortunately, that was in Barrow-in-Furness; not Lewes.
On 30 May 2017 at 7:33am Grunge wrote:
Also, Hamid, those who begin their sentences with "So".
On 30 May 2017 at 8:10am Private Ear wrote:
@Grunge - I can't believe I missed that one. It's one of the things that really annoys me on the R4 Today programme, particularly when combined with that silly rising inflection that makes everything sound like a question. E.g. "We interviewed two thousand people" becomes "So we interviewed two thousand people?". Maddening. And before anyone tells me I need to get out more, I know.
On 30 May 2017 at 8:15am Guy wrote:
The Lansdown is deffo the best pub to score class A's in. Top gear
On 30 May 2017 at 8:33am Clifford wrote:
So Private Ear, what's odd about the 'so' epidemic is that Humphreys and Naughtie on 'Today' once spent a couple of minutes ridiculing someone who had just answered every question with the word... but still it continues.
On 30 May 2017 at 9:55am Grunge wrote:
And what also irritates me on that programme is the tyranny of "Good Morning". The accepted illusion is meant to be that all participants are in the studio, and that the initial good morning is good morning to all. However, when asked a direct question, instead of replying the interviewee gains time and, in his or her eyes, the high moral ground by insisting on saying good morning to all. They interrupt the flow of the programme and just sound pompous. Don't they realise that, far from being extra polite, they are being rude? Get on and answer the question, idiot!
On 30 May 2017 at 11:20am Camra wrote:
The Red White and Blue is coming along nicely. When will it open to customers?
On 30 May 2017 at 12:50pm Obscura wrote:
So I can see what you're saying.
On 30 May 2017 at 1:16pm Toenail wrote:
Always liked Cooper & Son on the high street however it could do with a juke box.
On 30 May 2017 at 1:30pm Clifford wrote:
Grunge: These people also begin answering the question and then pause, say Good Morning as if it's an afterthought (implying 'I was so keen to answer your question that I forgot my manners'), and then continue with their waffle. And then there was Rabbi Blue - otherwise a wonderful and wise man - with his 'Good morning John, Good morning Sue, and Good morning everybody'.
On 30 May 2017 at 3:34pm Grunge wrote:
Rabbi Lionel Blue: a lovely, gentle man. Much missed. RIP.
On 30 May 2017 at 4:53pm Rabbi Red wrote:
Keep the red flag flying already.

On 30 May 2017 at 10:46pm King of Sussex wrote:
Seeing as the thread is heading this way, I might as well chime in.
I don’t have an issue with ‘guys’ as a neutral gender, with ‘so’ used as an opening phatic, or with the high rising terminal. These are all examples of a vibrantly evolving language, our language. So long as we don’t have a rigid academy, like the French do, declaring what is and isn’t acceptable, changes are inevitable and, for the most part, to be welcomed, they introduce nuances and subtlety.
Changes are only recognised by people who have lived without them, myself included, while we’re ignorant of those that changed on our parent’s lifetime - and they were many. For examples of 'annoying Americanisms', see link below. Which of them have you never really noticed? Which of the entrants are just moaning old fuddy-duddies?
It’s easy to imagine a time when people were appalled when the pronunciation of ‘said’ moved from ‘sayed’ to ‘sed’.
I recently read a book by that John Humphreys, seemingly about his despair at English’s failure to not be rigid and moribund. It was also peppered with stupid arbitrary grammar rules he didn’t like people not knowing, because they didn’t go to the same schools he did. Those rules which are often more about defining one’s education than about pinning down discrete meaning. There’s no reason whatsoever that one has to be ‘bored with’, rather than ‘bored of’. The latter follows the grammatic pattern of sick of, tired of, etc., but people who can say those correctly but make the mistake of saying ‘bored of’ are only exposing their background.
One of two books in my life I’ve actually slammed shut mid-sentence and thrown in a rubbish bin. The other one was by Quintin Letts, a man I’d never heard of but I now know to be one of the biggest c***s allowed to live in the same country as me.
“Forsoothe, Sire, why is ‘c****s’ not allowed anymore, (and when, I beseech thee, did ‘any more’ become ‘anymore’)?”
And I think the Elly is still the best all-rounder.

Check it out here »
On 31 May 2017 at 12:20am American Joe wrote:
King of Sussex- American English is older and less modified than British English due to the isolation of the communities in the USA. I don't think it is fair to pick "like" or "guys" as a supporting you argument.
Can you explain "sexed-up"?
On 31 May 2017 at 7:52am Private Ear wrote:
I don't think it's just about the words, but the way people are increasingly over-familiar. They think they're being friendly, but it can sound disrespectful or just fake, like the horrible "Have a nice day". When I take my 86-year-old mother out, I don't want some 19-year-old addressing her as one of "you guys".
On 31 May 2017 at 5:21pm Mrs Grumpy wrote:
And I object to a total stranger, probably trying to sell me something, saying "How are you?" and expecting an answer.

11 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lansdown Penny 117:132
The Lansdown Penny

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde