Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Slow down please!

On 11 Mar 2016 at 10:28pm South Streeter wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions (useful or otherwise, I'm sure) to persuade drivers to slow down a bit when driving down Malling St/South St on diversion when the Culfail tunnel is closed? Traffic is often sent along this road overnight, and many drivers bomb it down, despite it being a narrow 20mph road.
On 11 Mar 2016 at 10:34pm Bongo wrote:
Sneak another diversion sign at the Tesco roundabout, directing them through the town to the Kingston roundabout!
On 12 Mar 2016 at 3:54pm Belladonna wrote:
It was appalling last night. We could barely cross the road, and thought it was a group of boy racers, but turned out to be a constant stream of traffic going between 30-40 miles an hour. Who do you complain to ? ESCC or Highways agency ? Or police ?
On 12 Mar 2016 at 5:51pm Reserveyourname wrote:
Who was the fruitcake that put all the cones in the road and stood in front of traffic?! Mental.
On 12 Mar 2016 at 6:00pm Malling Streeter wrote:
Hello,
I've been going round in circles with complaints about speeding, especially speeding heavy lorries and farming vehicles. I contacted the local police, local councillors, our MP, Sussex Safer Road Partnerships. I am currently in contact with Philip Badman from the police who is putting me in contact with the local police traffic team. Apparently it's now their responsibility, but don't be surprised if you hear that budgets won't allow for enforcement. I think it's appalling given the speed of some of these vehicles. We pay council tax after all. If anyone knows of a campaign group in Lewes I'd like to join it... In the meantine please contact Philip Badman:
Phil Badman CB049
Acting Sergeant
Sussex Safer Roads Partnership
Roads Policing Unit
Operations Command

Tel: 101 ext. 582260
Mobile: 07701014879

Email: philip.badman@sussex.pnn.police.uk
On 12 Mar 2016 at 8:54pm South Streeter wrote:
Thanks, Malling Streeter. Well done for all your efforts. Let's hope something happens before a big accident.
On 13 Mar 2016 at 7:52am Clifford wrote:
The police don't give a toss, and drivers don't give a toss about the police. You should see how cars and lorries shoot down Little East Street on the way to Phoenix Causeway, in full view of the police station.
On 13 Mar 2016 at 1:04pm Malling observer wrote:
While cars speeding down residential streets isn't ideal, the tunnel's only closed after dark and therefore the risks to children is minimal. Remember many people in lewes live along roads that have heavy traffic pretty much constantly (high St, Upper malling St etc). I'd think about which battles are worth fighting. Also remember that a tiny minority of those speeding are drunken yobs. They're most likely to be parents hurrying home to see their kids before they go to bed or lorry drivers in the middle of a long shift delivering the stuff that fills your house. Shouting at drivers will only antagonise things - some may only drive along south st as a 1-off and therefore it's a pointless activity. You may end up causing more annoyance than the drivers themselves.
On 13 Mar 2016 at 2:49pm Wallands wrote:
If the OP was shouting at cars then he / she will have the same effect speed humps will have. After encountering them drivers will actually speed up out of frustration.
On 13 Mar 2016 at 6:33pm Malling Streeter wrote:
It's a shame there isn't a better bypass for Lewes perhaps? I don't think anyone has an issue with parents wanting to see their kids, or hard-working lorry drivers etc., although a lot of the speeding lorries are carrying building supplies which probably used to go on the railways as freight. it's a just a question of being considerate in residential areas (and actually driving legally). It can be disruptive to sleep, and dangerous to pedestrians as well as other drivers. If drivers won't do this through choice then enforcement is needed.
On 13 Mar 2016 at 9:09pm Clifford wrote:
Fascinating to see the posters on here saying we've got to make allowances for the drivers of big chunks of metal speeding along the road, and people mustn't criticise them in case we upset them. I wonder if these mini-Clarksons feel the same about drugs or beggars.
On 13 Mar 2016 at 11:12pm Smell a rat wrote:
Agree Clifford. Makes you wonder whose interests our local council (s) and police represent. It really shouldn't be a problem to update road markings and signs, and to install flashing speed signs, in similarity to those of local villages. What would these drivers lose? Maybe a minute or so of their time? East Sussex Council have measured speeds on a 24 hr basis and know that in some parts of Lewes that speeds can exceed 60mph at night in 30 and 20 zone areas. This is not good enough. Where are the speed cameras and traffic police?! Apart from anything else these heavy vehicles damage road surfaces and buildings. Who pays the bill for this alongside being woken at night. Oh yes, of course, it's the council tax paying mug!
On 14 Mar 2016 at 12:32am webbo wrote:
While we are about it, what happened to the give way signs on Cliffe High St at the junction with Morris Road?
Cars come tearing down Cliffe High St and ignore the give way lines painted on the road. One day a child will be cycling out of Morris Road and be run down by one of these idiots.
On 14 Mar 2016 at 9:20am A Person wrote:
Cars shouldn't be tearing down Cliffe High St in the first place though, should they? Since they've already ignored the No Entry sign at the Railway Lane end they clearly have little regard for the actual rules.

A bit like the van driver who warns me in the Cockshut Lane thread that I can now expect to be mown down by him in retribution for the fact that the barriers now prevent them using it as a short cut.

On 14 Mar 2016 at 11:28am Driver wrote:
There aren't any no entry signs at the Riverside end of Cliffe High Street but you are right people shouldn't be speeding. Also there are missing road markings at the junction Cliffe High Street/Malling Street which I think were burnt away on bonfire night when Cliffe have their final prayers. The road is also badly damaged in two places on the junction and round near the Dorset, again I think from bonfire.
On 14 Mar 2016 at 12:16pm Top Gear wrote:
Stop wingeing - donuts have been done @ the Cenotaph. That is more important.
On 14 Mar 2016 at 1:08pm A Person wrote:
There are several signs. Since nothing happens when they're ignored people just do it anyway.

On 14 Mar 2016 at 2:37pm Driver wrote:
Sign shows Pedestrian Zone, not No Entry!
On 14 Mar 2016 at 3:59pm A Person wrote:
That would fail you your driving test, Driver. A red circle on white with car and motorcycle means no motor vehicles. You're clearly not the only one who doesn't know their road signs...!

Check it out here »
On 14 Mar 2016 at 4:51pm Driver wrote:
It's not 'No Entry', The sign says 'Except disabled and loading'

On 14 Mar 2016 at 5:24pm A person wrote:
So what do you think the red ring around the motorbike and car means? Look it up!
On 14 Mar 2016 at 5:38pm Driver wrote:
The sign means No motor vehicles except disabled and loading. Look it up!
On 14 Mar 2016 at 6:20pm Tipex wrote:
I think the point is the sign isn't as clear as a No Entry sign. "Loading" to some people means "I'm collecting a small saucepan from Argos" which they feel meets the criteria. I like to walk slowly along Cliffe so cars have to pootle along at 3mph, occasionally followed by a glare at the driver. I'm sure I occasionally offend a genuine disabled driver or those collecting large items but I'm willing to take the risk.

On 14 Mar 2016 at 6:21pm A Person wrote:
I'm not sure what we're arguing about then. Most of the vehicles "tearing down Cliffe High St" aren't disabled drivers or loading anything: they're taking a short cut in contravention of the signage.

On 14 Mar 2016 at 6:57pm smell a rat wrote:
So it seems there are a few places in Lewes that do not proper speed limit enforcement, so why aren't our representatives on the councils and in the police doing anything? It seems ok to break traffic laws, which are actually thee to prevent serious accidents, then I'd argue we might as well break any law.

On 14 Mar 2016 at 6:57pm Driver wrote:
Now we're getting to the point and AP you are correct, they're taking a short cut in contravention of the signage...still doesn't make it No Entry as previously stated.
On 14 Mar 2016 at 9:21pm Reality wrote:
Fastest thing I ever saw hurtling along Cliffe high street was a police car!!...absolutely flew down there, slight irony there I feel, only sheet good luck no one was hurt
On 15 Mar 2016 at 10:52pm Smell a rat wrote:
Yes, seen the same thing in Malling Street and North Street, speeding police cars, of course they could be responding to an emergency call...
On 16 Mar 2016 at 8:56pm Driver wrote:
Tipex, people like you should not be allowed out to walk the streets as your attitude only encourages confrontation. You should be walking on the footpath and not in the road when legitimate vehicles are accessing or leaving the Argos car park,Harvey's Yard, etc.

On 16 Mar 2016 at 9:03pm in the zone wrote:
what's a pedestrian zone then , just the footpath ?

On 21 Mar 2016 at 6:29pm Little Wren wrote:
Well done Tippex, it is a pedestrian street, even disabled drivers and vehicles "loading" should travel at pedestrian speed. I too walk in the centre of the road, let's all do it, the message may get through to those who think because they are sitting in a hunk of metal they have superiority over those walking. All roads are public spaces, cars do not have the right of way. Cliffe High St is the best car park too, no wardens, no signs, park all day, many do.

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

River Wharfs Lewes 101:132
River Wharfs Lewes

Oh the irony more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone