Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Shop selling Guns opposite School in Cooksbridge

On 24 May 2012 at 11:18am Mr Angry wrote:
Is it just me or is it wrong for a shop opposite a primary school to sell GUNS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On 24 May 2012 at 12:30pm Mr Forks wrote:
But they do also sell sandwiches!

On 24 May 2012 at 12:40pm Peter Pan wrote:
Just You !!!!
On 24 May 2012 at 12:44pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Why so angry, Mr angry ? I'm sure they are not selling to primary school kids and it is legal to sell guns ? (yes yes, I know all the anti-gun arguments, but stopping kids seeing them isn't going to stop them being fascinated by them and just because kids see them doesn't mean they will turn into gun-crazed maniacs in later life)
On 24 May 2012 at 1:44pm Deelite wrote:
Proper guns? What's the name of the shop?
On 24 May 2012 at 3:26pm Penguin wrote:
There was a gun shop in Lewes when I was at school and I have never felt the urge to 'pop a cap in anyones ass'.
On 24 May 2012 at 4:20pm Mystic mog wrote:
The word is arse. Ass is a subgenus of Equus. Unless you are planning to do something disturbing to an animal.
On 24 May 2012 at 4:45pm Penguin wrote:
I am quite aware of the correct spelling of the word arse. I was however quoting an 'Americanism' as frequently used by those lovely 'Gangsta Rappers' (I am also aware of the incorrect spelling of the word gangster in this phrase). Perhaps if you had glanced further down the Wikipedia page you may have noted that as well as being a sub genus of equus, the word ass is also a North American English informal term for buttocks. I therefore stand by my original spelling of the word used in this context, but thank you very much for your interest.
On 24 May 2012 at 4:51pm bastian wrote:
it isn't dirrectly opposite the primary school it's round the corner by the station...no problem.
On 24 May 2012 at 5:09pm Mystic mog wrote:
What is rap?
On 24 May 2012 at 7:38pm bastian wrote:
boring overhyped homophobic mysoganistic crap...otherwise known as speaking over a monotonous base line cos ya can't sing

On 24 May 2012 at 7:48pm Mr Forks wrote:
Guns don't kill people, rappers do!
On 24 May 2012 at 9:15pm princess wrote:
Why is it a problem ? The school is shut at the mo anyway.

On 24 May 2012 at 10:26pm Outdoor country store wrote:

On 24 May 2012 at 11:01pm Outdoor country store wrote:
As the owner of the outdoor country store we are here to serve the needs of local sports clubs fisher men farmers campers archery walkers and ramblers, we also have lovely coffee and sandwich bar with a selection of old fashioned sweets.we take our positition in the community very seriously and have spoken to all relevant bodys regarding any safty and security issues and we have adhered to all there proposals and more . Thank you to all the people supporting us ,
On 25 May 2012 at 7:34am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Guns are part and parcel of country life. I think seeing guns in their proper context is probably far less likely to harm a child than seeing them inappropriately used in films and computer games.
On 25 May 2012 at 10:52am Deelite wrote:
Great to know it's there. I shall pop in. Hopefully your shop has a better attitude that Percy's Fishing Tackle.
On 25 May 2012 at 12:52pm Kev wrote:
I think it's a great idea to open a country sports shop here and cos its opposite a school makes no difference at all kids can see anything they want with the Internet so mr angry it definately is just you.will pop into shop sounds like its just what we need around here.
On 25 May 2012 at 12:52pm Kev wrote:
I think it's a great idea to open a country sports shop here and cos its opposite a school makes no difference at all kids can see anything they want with the Internet so mr angry it definately is just you.will pop into shop sounds like its just what we need around here.

On 25 May 2012 at 12:58pm Rap is rap wrote:
Wow bastian, even by your standards that's a pretty hefty over-generalisation you've just dropped in there. In fact, there are a number of quite positive role models making rap music, none of whom are homophobic or 'mysoganistic' (whatever that is).
I suggest you use the internet to check some of it out and broaden your horizons rather than just making smart-arse comments on this forum.

On 25 May 2012 at 4:07pm bastian wrote:
thank you I will give it a miss..mysogony means hating women..just listen to the words used to describe women and you will understand. I've listened to rap since before you were born but it's still a bit thin on the music front. Actually there is one pair of rap artists I do like Die antwerp..check them out.

On 25 May 2012 at 4:43pm The Answer wrote:
Die Antwerp?. Don't you mean Die Antwoord ?
On 25 May 2012 at 5:39pm Straight Talker wrote:
Since most of us seem to be using pseudonyms I thought I would as well.
If Mr. Angry is who most people think he is then he must be fully aware that the shop in question is NOT opposite a primary school. I have been shooting guns in many different disciplines from a early age and indeed have taught many people to shoot, both adults and children during the past thirty years and I have found through experience that shooting any form of gun teaches control, discipline, responsibility and respect for other people that simply cannot be taught from Play Stations and X Boxes. There are plenty of local clubs around that offer tuition in a safe and controlled environment together with a good social life, after all it is just another sport and recreation and should not be demonised by people who have not experienced the sport and adopting knee jerk reactions that seem to be so popular in the press these days. This Country boasts the most successful shooters in world-class competitions, but that is not so well publicised.
If Mr. Angry is concerned about the danger aspect of untrained owners of guns, well more people get run over by reckless car drivers, what are you going to say about that!
On 25 May 2012 at 6:02pm Teacher wrote:
Ok so Mr angry over reacted, so what! he obviously genuinely thought it was inappropriate to have a shop selling guns so close to a school. Personally I have no issue with this but he was probably thinking of the maniacs who go into schools armed and decide to shoot a few pupils. You can't blame him for being concerned albeit unnecessary. I would rather members of the public to be vigilant when it comes to protecting our children rather than be too laid back.

On 25 May 2012 at 7:22pm Myself wrote:
"You can't blame him for being concerned albeit unnecessary" eeerrr, yes we can, he's being ridiculous
On 25 May 2012 at 9:03pm Andy wrote:
I am in full support of this store. It is a well located store with the nearest stores similar are in Hailsham and Brighton so this is a life saver in terms of petrol. Many youths I know actually own an air rifle, but im sure a large percentage dont know how to handle them safely. I have been in the store myself recently and the staff can offer training courses/ tuition for anyone who wants to learn so not only is this beneficial to the community but also provides an oppotunity for the young to learn responsibilty in handling weapons safely. Its been a long time coming - Good Luck lads and well done!!!

On 25 May 2012 at 9:15pm Teacher wrote:
" You can't blame him for being concerned albeit unnecessary " eeerrr, yes we can, he's being ridiculous. Oh no he's not. Oh yes he is. He's behind you? Oh no he's not. Ha Ha it's a right pantomime on here sometimes.

On 25 May 2012 at 9:29pm Andy wrote:
There's concern and theres inciting public outrage. I will let you decide which it is. In this day and age we should be supporting new businesses. If Mr Angry is that concerned then maybe he should visit the store and discuss the issue in person. Maybe his concerns would be reduced some what or at least he would have a better understanding.

On 25 May 2012 at 9:49pm forestgump wrote:
i agree fear is based on ignorance
On 25 May 2012 at 9:56pm Dave wrote:
Straight talker said "I have been shooting guns in many different disciplines from a early age and indeed have taught many people to shoot both adults and children"
And he's still at large! Lock your doors and windows he's coming for your children next.

On 25 May 2012 at 11:04pm Teacher wrote:
The circus continues, the clowns are know on Ha Ha.

On 25 May 2012 at 11:28pm Teacher wrote:
Not only that they are now on.
On 26 May 2012 at 1:31am realitycheque! wrote:
yawn yawn....hope non of those children eat with KNIVES and oh FORKS ? ...more knife crime than anything and do they stick it in your leg because its in front of them?....no it goes in the right place !!!! kids and people know right from wrong .

On 26 May 2012 at 9:49pm mrs sensible wrote:
i have been in the Country store, the owner and his family are very resposible people and know there stuff. Daisy mays cafe is fab too very nice food. I would recommend everyone goes there. Mr angry probably has nothing better to do with his time...... Go Country Store.........
On 28 May 2012 at 8:21am THE TWISTER wrote:
I suspect that Mr Angry is also Mr DFL, sandal wearing, yoghurt quaffing, over protective parent as well...

On 28 May 2012 at 4:29pm outdoor country store wrote:
thanks for all the support, from all concerned regarding the opening of the new country store, please feel free to pop in and have a quiet chat if anyone has any concerns and regarding the sales of sporting guns etc , we do not sell to anyone under the age of 18 , we are very well known within the the fieldsports area and have a very good name, we have a great shooting range not far from where we are where trained shooters with many years behind them will be happy to introduce you to the target shooting sport , many more sporting grounds around which also would be very happy to show you the grounds and let you take part once the right training has been given, clay pidgeon shooting, field target shooting, archery , even ax throwing for the brave, more activities please pop in and disscuss thanks outdoor country store

On 2 Jun 2012 at 7:14am ffs wrote:
I'm going to pop in next time I'm at Covers!
Check out my link - enjoy!

Watch the video »

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

The Bottleneck 113:132
The Bottleneck

This does look like a nasty variant, and not just because of Boris Johnsons face above.

Had my 2nd jab relatively recently,... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington