Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Shop prices

On 29 Aug 2018 at 5:26am Tom wrote:
increased by 0.1% in August, breaking a cycle of 63 months when prices fell.
Funny, I thought everything had been getting more expensive.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 7:49am sparkles wrote:
Unusually hot weather. Did you notice?
On 29 Aug 2018 at 8:16am Tom wrote:
Ah, I probably didnt make myself clear. 63 months is over 5 years. I thought in that time things had been getting more expensive and not cheaper. If things had actually been getting cheaper, why all the noise about non existent pay rises?
On 29 Aug 2018 at 8:41am Nevillman wrote:
Not everything is bought in a shop. Inflation is measured by comparing prices of about 600 products every month. This includes things like petrol and services as well as products commonly bought in shops. These prices of these other products have risen. The current commonly used measure of inflation does not include house prices which have also risen. This is why people who have not had wage increases feel and are poorer.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 9:04am @Tom wrote:
Bought any food or petrol in the last 12 months Tom?
On 29 Aug 2018 at 10:24am Another@Tom wrote:
@Tom, because companies have been employing tricks like making the packets smaller to avoid raising prices (food in particular).
On 29 Aug 2018 at 10:48am AnotherTom wrote:
Companies have also been doing other tricks where by they have been decreasing the prices of the ~600 items that are tracked to measure inflation and increasing others to make up for the loss
On 29 Aug 2018 at 12:28pm Local Sceptic wrote:
And the 'shopping basket' of goods' prices against which inflation is calculated tends to change periodically, officially it is changed to reflect changes in the average consumer's spending pattern, but those changes might also be used as a means to 'massage' inflation figures, by deleting goods that show faster price rises in favour of goods that are more stable in price.
Essentially, like any published measure of inflation, it's all "lies, damned lies and statistics".

Regardless of the 'official figures', I suspect most people on the street will tell you that, based on their own shopping habits, the cost of living is rising faster than wages.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 12:31pm Kerry Gold wrote:
Price of butter has risen by over 50% in the past 2 years
On 29 Aug 2018 at 1:05pm Dexter wrote:
Between 2010 & May 2017, butter had nearly trippled in price.
It's certainly gone up even more since then.
There is a link below.
If not, let's ask Tom?

Check it out here »
On 29 Aug 2018 at 1:11pm Tom wrote:
Nothing to do with me Dexter. Official data released by the British Retail Consortium. I was surprised too.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 1:20pm Hugh Kneecorn. wrote:
Who cares,there will be unlimited FREE beer after we have brexitted!
On 29 Aug 2018 at 1:33pm Unhappy Shopper wrote:
I've been rather surprised to see that the prices of things like tomatoes and courgettes have risen when allotments all over the place are groaning under the weight of them and the allotment holders are desperate to pass on their excess crops to anyone who will take them. I'm presuming it's because the value of the pound has tanked since brexit and the cost of fuel to import them from Spain et al has risen at the same time. My wages haven't gone up though. I'll be growing my own next year.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 4:21pm Nevillman wrote:
I've never heard it suggested that the items picked for assessing inflation is manipulated to reduce the inflation rate. No reason why the office for national statistics should do this. You can Google basket of goods to find out exactly what the goods are but they are chosen to represent products that are typically purchased. Their exact influence on the rate of inflation is then determined by the frequency with which they are bought. It all seems scientific to me and the government would genuinely like to know the real rate of inflation. The rate of inflation for each household may be higher or lower than the official rate depending on individual spending patterns. If you spend more than the average household on beer and butter then the rate of inflation will seem higher to you. I'm amused and bemused to get so many thumbs down for my previous post. It was purely factual. There is nothing to dislike that I can see.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 4:51pm @Nevillman wrote:
The suggestion was more that the supermarkets would lower prices on those goods rather than the ONS picking selected goods.
Interesting to note that the CPI hasn't been used for 2 years, it runs off the CPIH now (which in turn runs from the EU wide HICP index), I guess that will all change with Brexit.
Now it's set from HICP does the ONS even select the products anymore?
On 29 Aug 2018 at 7:10pm Clifford wrote:
Yes, Nevillman, it fascinates me how people downtick simply factual posts. I understand it with self-opinionated ones like mine. Still there we are.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 8:11pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Lots of yoghourt-knitting remoaners on here. They are not even remotely interested in facts. If the truth doesn't fit with their prejudices, thumbs down will pour in.
On 29 Aug 2018 at 11:15pm Mrs Twine wrote:
Now then, dears, you can't possibly know what I am thinking, or indeed grumbling about. I haven't put up my knitted yogurt prices for some years but will have to consider it now that costs have risen. Clifford, your hair shirt is nearly finished. You can pay the last instalment.

On 30 Aug 2018 at 7:48pm Hexanchus7 wrote:
Also, the supermarkets have been doing 5 for the price of 4 instead of the usual 3 for 2. Plus, I have noticed this last week that signs were put up in Sainsbury's and Holland & Barrett on two products that I buy stating that it was their "new lower price" The following week both items had increased by 20p and 50p respectively! They think we don't notice!

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight 22:143
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight

It sounds too close to the Nevill to be Leicester Road or the Pells, but it's very loud! more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams