Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Scrap Timber Wanted

On 28 Aug 2007 at 11:43am SHS wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a small quantity of scrap sawn timber? Just enough to build a small hen-house and it's the planks (or some small sheets) that I really need.
I'd call this re-cycling rather than being a mean old skinflint but make up your own mind.

On 28 Aug 2007 at 3:25pm The Super K wrote:
Back t'in good old days you could have gone to Parsons Bros. and asked them, used to be able to rummage in the tip.
Now days you could chop a tree down up the downs and saw the wood up for what you need.
If you then planted a young tree it would use more carbon dioxide up than the old big tree and you would save the earth!
Win Win.

On 28 Aug 2007 at 3:26pm The Super K wrote:
South coast roofing have lots of palletts you could try there?

On 28 Aug 2007 at 8:38pm SHS wrote:
Thanks for that TSK, I'll try the dump behind Bill's as well.
First I've heard about young trees using up more CO2 than old trees but don't forget that old trees suck up more water and so are more likely to save Lewes from flooding......plus you can't climb young trees.

On 28 Aug 2007 at 10:34pm Avidfan wrote:
Pallets are not brilliant SHS, as the nails that are used to build them hold so well that you end up splitting and snapping many of the planks. Plus most of them are full of knots (I speak from experience). You may only get two or three usable planks per pallet. Once built you'll have to treat to prevent rot etc. Bite the bullet and go to Covers and get some 6 by 1 tranilised(?) and be done with it. Good luck.

On 29 Aug 2007 at 7:50am SHS wrote:
Hmm, good advice & yes I tried breaking up pallets before. I'll go to Wenban-Smith before it's turned into blocks of flats & Italian restaurants.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bill Lewes 10:132
Bill Lewes

This story has hit a nerve with me. I'm switching my allegiance from the greedy Premier league and going to watch the Rooks from... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine