Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Schools Lewes/Hove

On 28 Sep 2014 at 9:04am mojomojo wrote:
I am moving to East Sussex area in 18 months and would welcome advice on schools. Any experience with The Priory or Dorothy Stringer ? I have 4 children and have to find Elementary, Secondary (for sporty son) and 6th form for musical daughter.
We've been in a small International school with 15 in a class so far and I'm slightly terrified by the huge comprehensives, but know I need to 'get real'. Help please .

On 28 Sep 2014 at 7:49pm (the ) Priory wrote:
Was a good school - in the 60`s when I was there

On 28 Sep 2014 at 8:58pm welcome wrote:
Hello there mojomojo
the priory has a good reputation locally and an "excellent" ofsted.
I have heard great things about the music dept. My children are not that age yet but will probably go there.
don't know much about the schools in brighton.
good luck with the move and welcome if you end up in Lewes :-)

On 29 Sep 2014 at 5:44pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Most Sussex schools outside the coastal strip are excellent. Those in the coastal strip mostly vary between good and excellent, with just one or two in the major towns you might wish to avoid. Outside B&H it just isn't like London. You choose where to live, send your kids to the local school and, along with other concerned parents, make sure the school carries on doing a good job. As Welcome writes, Priory (only secondary school in Lewes) is currently excellent for 11-16s.
B&H is somewhat affected by London Disease, in which all the parents who think their kids are too precious to mix with the hoi polloi try to zap all the "best" places, thereby creating a sink schools problem. B&H responded with a lottery. You can always go private if you get a losing ticket (and in B&H there is one). But if you choose to live in Green Land (and if it still is Green Land after next May) that will be the least of your problems.

33 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Barbican Lewes 7:132
Barbican Lewes

Yes I’m really going to miss the ‘its Oh so wonderful and it’s only 600 quid’ advertising features … more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy