Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

School teachers

On 9 Jun 2008 at 9:35am Wallands pupil fromt he 70s wrote:
Anyone remember Miss Priest, the headmistress of Wallands, in the 70's and 80's. She used to bring her black labrador to work (can't remember the dogs name)....
My teacher was called Miss Mitchell and she was very fat!!
On 9 Jun 2008 at 10:01am Lord Landport wrote:
Sorry I went to St Pancras My Favourite was Mrs Wade anyone remember her.....
On 9 Jun 2008 at 12:55pm sue wrote:
I remember Miss Priest. I think you'll find it was a boxer dog she had.When i started wallands lovely miss or mrs Persky was headmistress for a while.Who remembers Mr Vaughn? god you didn't muck him about if you did he use to wet his fingers a slap yor legs god that hurt lol!
On 9 Jun 2008 at 1:38pm jane wrote:
it was a black labrador called Brambles, actually. i remember it and miss priest. and mrs eareland, mrs fuller etc!

On 9 Jun 2008 at 2:58pm FA wrote:
South Malling....1969-1977 Mrs Robbins i can just remember and Mrs Plesants were my head teachers.
To name a few other teachers....Mr Pratt, Mr Tory, Mr Tuit (scared the life out of me) Mr (windy) Miller, Mrs Rogers (always had to call her Wendy), Miss Sutton, Mrs Timlin (who i still see around town), Mrs Wriggler, Mrs Oughton (scary monster), Miss Farncome
One of the dinner ladies were miss post and the secretary was Jean Oliver.
Many many happy days at south malling.
On 9 Jun 2008 at 3:37pm Mark wrote:
South Malling 1965-1970 those were better days.

On 9 Jun 2008 at 4:00pm FA wrote:
Any reason why they were better than everyone elses time at that school ?

On 9 Jun 2008 at 4:06pm sue wrote:
Jane don't know when you was at wallands,but Miss Priest defiently had a boxer dog when i was there from 68-75,and if icould find miss priest i would put a bet on with you.

On 9 Jun 2008 at 5:44pm madge wrote:
South Malling...Mr Deeprose, Mrs Robbins, Miss Penny, Miss Hepborne (Mrs Timlin?), Miss Sutton, Mr Tory, Mrs Oughton, Mr Tuit....Brilliant!!
On 9 Jun 2008 at 7:27pm Dunk wrote:
I went to st Pancras and mrs wade had just left. My slightly older Bro had been taught by her, in i think it was class one. I started about '82. Mr Kelly was head.

On 9 Jun 2008 at 8:20pm Mark wrote:
yes because you weren't there for most of the time.

On 9 Jun 2008 at 9:56pm expat wrote:
South Malling, Miss Hepborne was my first primary teacher. The maths teacher used to bring us miniature pots of honey from his bees. Maths lessons were in the hall then. We liked going past Mr. Cooks house in Orchard Road, to see which young teacher he was entertaining. ANyone remember the really tall (maybe I was short) dark curly haired grecian looking female teacher?

On 9 Jun 2008 at 10:15pm Cheesepie wrote:
In 1980 Miss Priest had an old black labrador called Brambles. i used to have the job of walking it at playtime, outside the school grounds! (Imagine that now!). Also got to ring theElectric bell for playtime!. Also went to South Malling, Mrs Rodgers used to ride a motorbike and wear black leathers. Mr Curtis was headmaster and im sure the Red house won every sports day. Still see Mr etherington around town, Was he at Wallands or malling?
Mr Baron ( Priory Chemistry......aluminium...waiting......... remember that) Still running around town!!!!!!!!!!

On 10 Jun 2008 at 8:41am Wallands pupil from the 70s wrote:
Wow, of course yes I remember it was Brambles the black labrador...the boxer must have been before my time...I loved the Wallands then, it was great...Mrs Earland was also one of my teachers, also Mr Ertherington' (the one who wrote a book about the bonfire)
Also went to Priory School. My favorite teachers were Mr McGovern (history) and Mr Moore (Biology)...

On 10 Jun 2008 at 8:50am Lord Landport wrote:
Seems I went to St Pancras on my own come on kids I was certain I was in a class with some others anybody .......

On 10 Jun 2008 at 12:20pm Rookie wrote:
Anybody from Pells on here?

On 10 Jun 2008 at 12:24pm Lee wrote:
Crikey F.A. There's some name's I've not heard for a while - Mrs Timlin, Mrs Pleasants, Mrs Rogers (into motorcycles, had a big crash). How about the dinner lady Mrs Jevons? I think you must have been a year or two older. I left for Ringmer in 79, born in 68.

On 10 Jun 2008 at 12:40pm FA wrote:
So...Lee. You wouldn't happen to have an older brother would you and you lived up by the shops ???
On 10 Jun 2008 at 3:50pm jane wrote:
soz sue, i wasn't at wallands late sixties so maybe you r right. but i was there mid to late seventies and there def was black labrador called brambles.

On 10 Jun 2008 at 5:33pm Dunk wrote:
'82 to '90. Great days, no mortgage, tax or work. life was simple.

On 10 Jun 2008 at 6:32pm Lord Landport wrote:
Evening Dunk so you went to St Pancras as well
do you remember Mrs Wade.

On 10 Jun 2008 at 7:02pm Dunk wrote:
she had just left when i started but my older bro had been one of her pupils

On 10 Jun 2008 at 7:08pm Dunk wrote:
I think she was the deputy head wasnt she? My mother knows her and her brother Ray. She is still going strong apparently, my Lord.

On 10 Jun 2008 at 7:17pm kitty cat wrote:
I went to Wallands for a while and yes I remember Mrs. Pershky she used to scare me s***less. and she looked like Frankie HOWARD! Mr Vaughan, Mr. Powell, Mrs. Sexton(the same as the one at Priory for a while) Mr. Perks, Miss Cawthorn(scarey)Mrs. Lucas, Mrs Ridout,Mrs. Patten

On 10 Jun 2008 at 9:19pm Lee wrote:
Very Good F.A. Up by the shops eh? That would indicate you were below us - Spences Lane/Close or Orchard Road? Are F and A your initials?

On 10 Jun 2008 at 9:43pm expat wrote:
What about Southover, my mum was a teacher there for a few years in the 80's. I went there for a short while in between Malling moves and hated it. I remember Mrs. White with her black leather shoes and white hair, and Mrs. Jones the afternoon teacher. Miss Salmon who was my brothers teacher was hot according to the boys.

On 11 Jun 2008 at 4:51am FA wrote:
No mate but your brother used to live next door but one to me in Landport and you helped him plaster our hallway and kitchen...no names, no pack drills

On 11 Jun 2008 at 10:17am Heffer wrote:
Miss Priest - I can only remember her as one of the characters from The League of Gentleman these days. She had a boxer and then the black Labrador. I was in her office for some thing or other and the boxer was scratching away at a huge wound on its neck - possibly the cause of its demise. That Labrador was a pest - pissing on the floor and mounting kids in the corridor. You had to run the gauntlet of that long corridor bewteen Juniors and the dining room. That woman was a nightmare - I knew it when I was seven. I was in Miss Mitchell's class for a while too: 48 kids. Some of us sat in the cupboard and got forgotten about for most of a term. Loved the school buildings and playing fields but not much else! Anyone remember the stuff they used to pour onto the pile of sick that seemed to be a daily occurrence. Like peat with a very disinfectant-like smell. I associate it with Miss Priest!

On 11 Jun 2008 at 10:34am LEE wrote:
Small town F.A Everything fits now. Got that BBQ on yet?
On 11 Jun 2008 at 1:59pm gina wrote:
i don't remember the dog being a nuisence! it was a lovely dog! the teachers were a nuisance, especially mrs earland. also in those days in the 70's teachers could smack their pupils,anyone remember that?

On 11 Jun 2008 at 2:38pm sue wrote:
Sorry Gina,but heffer has just made me laugh sooooooooooo much.I didn't know the labrador so can't comment but omg if that was a human mounted the kids and pissing everywhere god there would be hell to pay.I actually enjoyed my days at wallands except for the horriable rough toilet paper, and miss gregory who use to spit when she shouted.Not being funny,but recently i read comments about how bad wallands had got.Well when i was there under the rule of Miss Priest,and Mr Vaughn and Miss Gregory you wouldn't dare get away with what those kids have been getting away with you got a slap.

On 11 Jun 2008 at 3:21pm Zola wrote:
I remember Mr Jackson at Pells throwing the blackboard rubber across the classroom if any one was misbehaving.
Hard too...They used to whizz past our heads at some one usually at the back of the class.Couldn't do it now could they....

On 12 Jun 2008 at 7:03pm Heffer wrote:
Ah memories! I never had Miss Gregory as a teacher but my Mum did when she was a Wallands in the 1940s and apparently she looked exactly the same back then as I remember in the 70s. She lived out at Telscombe Village and drove around until she was really quite elderly - and quite blind too. Lovely Morris Minor as I remember. I think she actually was quite a fair teacher and had an air of authority that seemed to work on us rowdy rabble. The problem with Wallands is it didn't equip us with the skills needed to move down to Priory - like being able to write joined-up or spell.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:09pm lewesianne wrote:
I remembet Mrs White! Always flashing off her white bloomers. And Mr Jones, Mrs Fitch. Who was your Mum Expat?

On 18 Jul 2015 at 9:23am A Lewes Rooke wrote:
I remember Wallands when Miss priest was the head mistress, Mr Kirby springs to mind does any body else remember this character? I have a feeling I am not the only one that will host thoughts of him.
On 18 Jul 2015 at 12:20pm Another Rooke wrote:
I remember Mr Kirby, he was hard to forget with his Victorian teaching skills. Hope the child he kept yelling at has forgotten him.

On 18 Jul 2015 at 12:27pm Another Rooke wrote:
So glad teaching has changed.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

The Lewes Crest 118:132
The Lewes Crest

Actually, I would like to add to what I have written above. I understand your concerns about medical marijuana, especially if you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington