Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

School dinners(worst)

On 11 Aug 2008 at 8:38am juju wrote:
While we are on the subject of the worst things, how about school dinners. I have nightmares about cold ox tounge and salad, grey liver and lumpy mash and what about rice pudding and rosehip syrup.ARGH YUCK

On 11 Aug 2008 at 8:49am Taff wrote:
Cauliflower or macaroni cheese. I still cant stand the smell of either let alone taste the stuff.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 9:48am Local wrote:
Yes, the lumpy mash. I'd forgotten about the rice and rosehip syrup - thanks for reminding me. Sometimes it was semolina. And how about tapioca? Worst of all was mashed swede.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 10:15am Nosey Parker wrote:
Ox tongue was disgusting but my worst memories are of the overweight and overbearing dinnerladies who loomed ober you and forced you to eat the stuff.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 11:00am zola wrote:
I will always remember the time we had hearts and gravy for school lunch....rows and rows of them in a big silvery tin with handles...All lined up,I swear I saw them beating....euragh!

On 11 Aug 2008 at 11:21am juju wrote:
What about spam fritters and do you recall the crakers and rubber cheese, and prunes with samolina. the dinner ladies where horrid, i was sick on one when she made me eat ox tounge.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 11:21am juju wrote:
What about spam fritters and do you recall the crakers and rubber cheese, and prunes with samolina. the dinner ladies where horrid, i was sick on one when she made me eat ox tounge.
On 11 Aug 2008 at 12:31pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
I have not eaten goulash since being forced to eat some at Primary school. The meat was obviously the stuff picked up off the abatoir floor and tasted disgusting. I will never forget picking out nine lumps of gristle. YUK.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 1:22pm Coops wrote:
My nan was a dinner lady at St Pancras for many years (Anyone who went there remember Jean Frost?). Sometimes she would bring surplus puddings home. The white sauce and the iced buns were lovely but the dinners themselves weren't so nice.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 5:30pm frankfurtersausage wrote:
Ginger pudding and Lemon sauce...........Lovely

On 11 Aug 2008 at 8:33pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
My dislike of tinned tomatoes probably stems from my primary school years. My school dinners (main) were contaminated with the acidic juice that ran across the plate and destroyed previously decent food.
Desserts - we used to have some fantastic trifles prepared in really huge trays. And we were allowed to go back for seconds and thirds!

On 12 Aug 2008 at 7:30am juju wrote:
oh yes Spinster, seconds, thirds or more this is something that is denied the genration of children at school now. Id always go back for curry, or choc pud n choc custard.

On 12 Aug 2008 at 7:59am zola wrote:
Now you are talking Juju...Choccy pudding and choccy sauce is my all time number 1.Closely followed by cherry shortbread...I too hated the semlina/rice/tapioca.It was always a little cold and used to stick to the plate.Yuk.

On 12 Aug 2008 at 8:12am Taff wrote:
My schools trifles were great, except you had to drink it almost. Served in bowls that had stood on the hot serving counter whilst you had the main, warm bowls that melted the jelly!

On 12 Aug 2008 at 8:36am madge wrote:
Mmmm choc pud & choc sauce...heaven!

On 12 Aug 2008 at 10:36am juju wrote:
Can anyone recall what we all called sticky ice buns, i get told off for saying it, so i will wait and see if everyone called them that or if it was just me.

On 13 Aug 2008 at 1:37pm Old tart wrote:
Sticky Willy

On 13 Aug 2008 at 2:47pm juju wrote:
OH YEAH, glad i am not the only one!!!

On 16 Aug 2008 at 5:43am chris wrote:
Tinned boiled tomatoes and soggy cabbage,semolina,rice pudding. Plumpton Primary School late 70's,stand up and be counted.

On 22 Aug 2008 at 9:05pm Lewesianne wrote:
Where's my bloody post? I wrote a really long one about Mrs Lovegrove and Mrs Cheeseman too! GRRR

On 23 Aug 2008 at 10:48am Bumface wrote:
It was so boring that WM put it out of its misery.

On 23 Aug 2008 at 1:11pm Lewesianne wrote:
Ha ha! now that's funny, even though it is mean! But it wasn't boring actually. It was all about how our mums and yesteryear's dinner ladies made us clear our plates and that's why we eat so much nowadays, cos we feel we have to clear our plates, even though we're full up. Just a thought. Arsewipe!

On 23 Aug 2008 at 3:18pm juju wrote:
Lewesianne, i am so pleased that you think the same as me. it all boils down to the post war thing of not wasting food and our parents and dinner ladies felt that we should all be brought up the same way. Sod the healthy eating, sod the fact that you couldnt shovel another thing down your little throat you still had to eat it all, or no pudding.
Would guess that Bumface is way to young to understand and on those grounds we should forgive his lack of understanding and direct rudness.

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

This coulds turn into another 'tables outside Bill's' saga. I did enjoy that a decade or so ago. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane