Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Scarface.Tonight. ITV 4, 10pm.

 
 
On 5 Aug 2010 at 8:22pm Film Buff. wrote:

Film Scarface (1983)
Small-time crook Tony Montana emigrates from Cuba to the US, determined to become rich and powerful. Admitted into the inner circle of a Miami drug lord, he ultimately takes over his boss's empire and even his wife. However, his paranoia and cocaine addiction begin to spiral out of control, while his enemies circle, waiting for the chance to bring him down. Gangster thriller remake, with Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert Loggia.
One of my favourite films of all time.
' Say Hello to my leedle friend !!'
 
1
On 5 Aug 2010 at 8:27pm jrsussex wrote:
It is a good film but I think Pacino over acts the part, one scene that shows it is the scene when he is in a bar (nightclub) when he scowls. Way over acting I thought for an actor of his standing. I think he had watched too many of the old black and white movies of years ago and tried to recreate the part of a gangster as the old actors did but did not do it as well.
 
 
On 5 Aug 2010 at 8:43pm Film Buff. wrote:
Fair point JR.
When you say 'scowls' in the nightclub...Do you mean the part when he is sitting off his face before those 2 guys get their guns out?
I'm not sure I agree about him overacting...He has come from Cuba and has got to survive,and he goes right to the top doesn't he.
One of my favourite parts is when there is that mountain of coke on his desk and he just falls into it and snorts.
And Michelle is stunning.I think it was her first big roll wasn't it?
I must have watched it half a dozen times at least and I shall still tune in...
 
 
On 5 Aug 2010 at 8:59pm jrsussex wrote:
Don't misundertsand my comment I think it is a first rate film, I'm a film buff to, used to go 3 times a week, I just believe that for such a good actor he over egged that role. Probably watch it myself (again).
 
 
On 7 Aug 2010 at 10:53am MC wrote:
I watched the film after reading this thread. I found it a bit tense for watching in bed. I was on edge because I felt that at any moment Tony could lash out with some ultra-violence (and I don't really like watching violence).
I did think he over-egged/acted the part. I was particularly amused by how far the corners of his mouth seemed to turn down.
Otherwise a good film although I thought Michelle Pfeiffer was pretty insipid. She might of got better but I turned it off before the end to get some sleep.
 
 
On 8 Aug 2010 at 11:51am jrsussex wrote:
Film Buff - One to watch. The Untouchables, Film 4 tonight at 9pm.

Reasons why I think it such a good film? Very good story based (loosely) on fact, fantastic casting, whoever was responsible should be congratulated as every part suits the actor playing it, and finally the directing and production first class. The world of gangster films at about its best.
Incidentally of 3 of the great American actors of that period how do you rate the following. This is my preference based on their work over the years:
1 Dustin Hoffman
2 Rober De Niro
3 Al Pacino


31 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Lewes Crest 66:132
Lewes Crest

I love that. "We don't actually need another leisure path". We are not exactly overwhelmed with leisure paths suitable for... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams