Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Say no to McDonalds

On 8 Apr 2013 at 10:08pm Paul Graham wrote:
Outraged to hear the the cancer research charity shop is to be closed down to make way for McDonalds.
On 8 Apr 2013 at 10:10pm Old Cynic wrote:
Where did you hear that? We have a McDonalds scare on a regular basis!
On 8 Apr 2013 at 10:17pm Phil Hunt wrote:
I also heard this could be happening in the next few months. such a shame, something needs to be done
On 9 Apr 2013 at 12:18am Simon wrote:
You are correct, something needs to be done! Maybe that something is to support the damn idea for once rather than condemning it like a heard of sheep!
For once, let Lewes be a 'normal' town, and evolve with the times.
If you had your way we'd all still be riding round on horse and carts!!
Cretins!
On 9 Apr 2013 at 12:54am Local wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how a small number of mainly DFLs (from perhaps 10 or 20 years ago) think that they should control what happens in this town.
They obviously know best.
On 9 Apr 2013 at 1:41am tool wrote:
Cant wait, should drive down competitors prices. While we are on the subject, is there anywhere for a wheatherspoons? £2 a pint and the foods not half bad.

On 9 Apr 2013 at 6:57am drone wrote:
Can`t see that the site would be big enough. Mac D`s usually have big parking areas. Cannot see how this would work on the Cancer Research site. But as someone has posted, we get these stories on a regular basis.
On 9 Apr 2013 at 7:19am sceptic wrote:
Yipee! Happy meal and a toy for less than £4, bring it on.

On 9 Apr 2013 at 8:26am f.c wrote:
no way my mum works in there and it not closeing down
On 9 Apr 2013 at 9:49am Lewes born and bred wrote:
This will get all the snob's sphincters going. I can just see them looking down their noses at the very thought of a McD's opening in our quaint little town {shivers} perish the thought !!!!
The cancer research place is far too small and not in the right place. The shop behind the volly though would be ideal

On 9 Apr 2013 at 9:51am Blip wrote:
At least Paperchase seem to be opening up in the old Stead and Simpsons.
On 9 Apr 2013 at 10:16am Petitepois wrote:
KFC would be yummier!!

On 9 Apr 2013 at 11:03am Old Cynic wrote:
Snobbery/DFL (yuk stupid term) has nothing to do with it! The site mentioned is way too small (as is the St Peter and St James site) - there is nowhere in central Lewes big enough unless the new development at the law courts has a vacant plot or Santon decide to stick a unit on their development. Finally parking is an issue - most MCD want the high volume passing traffic - and on top of that there are outlets at Uckfield and Maresfield.
On 9 Apr 2013 at 11:11am Lewes born and bred wrote:
Oh perlease old cynic, do me a favour. If there was ever the chance of McD's coming to Lewes, the local upperclass snobs would drown in their Chateauneuf du pape. There would be uproar among the arty farty types too, you know the ones "oh goodness, not in this town surely"
I think i go to McD's about once every 5 years so i don't give a monkeys about them but i'd love one in Lewes just to shove it up the snob's ar$e$

On 9 Apr 2013 at 11:21am Candice wrote:
I thought it was opening at the old" It's a knockout" next to Caffyns- ideal place with space for a drive thru
On 9 Apr 2013 at 11:31am ANTIQUE PIRATE wrote:
YARGH!!!
What you land lubbers need is more antique shops! Not enough in Lewes, by half.
On 9 Apr 2013 at 11:47am LewesFlyer wrote:
I don't see what would be wrong with having another fast food outlet in Lewes whether it be Maccie D or Burger King. What is the big deal? Behind the Volly was mooted years ago and I always thought that would be a good location. They aren't all drive-throughs, so their own parking isn't necessary.
On 9 Apr 2013 at 12:17pm Lewes born and bred wrote:
I'll tell you what will be wrong with it for a small, vocal minority of this town. It will not be in keeping with what we already have, or, in other words, too downmarket for some people.
On 9 Apr 2013 at 12:20pm wanderer wrote:
second that least then you can get a option in burgers rather than box standard cash n carry boring burgers that most of the kebab shops offer
On 9 Apr 2013 at 12:53pm tobnac wrote:
It's a wind up (paul graham=phil hunt=troll), designed to generate howls of outrage from the DFLs. But hilariously, tha only people it's managed to wind up are local and born and bred who are flailing away at their straw man.

On 9 Apr 2013 at 1:10pm LewesFlyer wrote:
Shame if it is only a wind-up, still there is always hope...

On 9 Apr 2013 at 1:25pm Old Cynic wrote:
Born and bred - why the massive chip on your shoulder? Do feel inferior in some way that you have to be so angry? There are no properties in Lewes big enough to support a MCD and parking is such a big issues in the town even if there was a venue they would think twice. Still, if it did come to the town center the local rats would be well chuffed :-)
On 9 Apr 2013 at 1:50pm Town Ghost wrote:

A McD oulet could be put in one of the empty shops near WH Smith. Let's face it, that part of the town wouldn't look any worse than it does now. The smell of their cr*ppy burgers 'I'm lovin it' already
On 9 Apr 2013 at 2:09pm owise1 wrote:
At least if they used the old magistrates property we could have a drive through

On 9 Apr 2013 at 9:05pm d'oh wrote:
My house in Oxford is now attached to a McDonalds. Doesn't really bother me 'cos I sold it!
On 10 Apr 2013 at 10:16am GhostBike wrote:
I love the way that some people think that McDonalds - a brand that peaked in the late 1980s - is somehow modern. It's all a bit passe isn't it? Surely GBC or Leon would be far more 2013. Something that doesn't promote obesity in the fattest country in Europe.
Actually now I think about it Tesco have just bought the excellent Giraffe chain - healthy, affordable food for families, plus good burgers - surely that would be better than McDs?

On 10 Apr 2013 at 1:43pm landporter wrote:
Why do you blame the company for obese people. They have a choice whether to eat the stuff or not. If i go into a Mcdonalds, which is rare, or the Charky or any other fast food eaterie, i want the nastiest, unhealthiest fat laden burger you can get your hands on, not a bowl of fruit or bloody salad.
it's about time people started facing up to their own responsibilities and stopped blaming everyone else.

On 11 Apr 2013 at 12:45pm echo wrote:
I second the proposal for Giraffe!
Tesco connection or not it is mightily preferable to McDonalds.

On 14 Apr 2013 at 9:40pm Echo Echo wrote:
Yet not fast food, so in no way comparable to Mac Donalds!!!

8 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Golden Bike 38:132
Golden Bike

Perhaps I'll visit it as a bar, but for food, its just not accommodating my tastes as a vegetarian, particularly in terms of main... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like BONFIRE NIGHT, and of course all the out-meetings which go on around this time - and the loud bang at the crack of dawn!
Jojo