Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Save the skatehouse, you are joking right!

On 21 Dec 2015 at 11:14pm ian freeston wrote:
You stole the skatehouse from the people that built it, (Heads up to James) and now your campaigning to save it..
pretty rich, time for a trailer trash video release...
On 21 Dec 2015 at 11:15pm Tipex wrote:
Lie down Ian. Lie down.
On 22 Dec 2015 at 8:46am Sam wrote:
I don't think the politics of The Skate House is the point right now, we should all be shouting to save it. Starfish the dance academy and the Skatehouse are all helping develop creative, inspired youths for the future of this town. The sense of belonging for the children who are part of the skatehouse community is incredible and it's heart breaking to think of it being destroyed, please remember there little voices in this campaign x
On 22 Dec 2015 at 9:42am logical wrote:
What are the politics of the skate House? I don't understand.
On 22 Dec 2015 at 1:54pm logical wrote:
I'm really sorry if this is the case. Have the Phoenix Rising management team been able to help at all? My experience though limited, of the skating fraternity in general is that they are are a fair minded lot where all generations and different types support each other. The young are protected and helped. I'm always amazed at the talent.( I have family members who are skaters.)
On 22 Dec 2015 at 9:34pm let it go wrote:
Ian, it is very sad that you are venting your anger at the skatepark when it is the children of this town who stand to lose everything-when you were at the skatepark you did do alot of work building it, but then your life style got in the way-kids don't need to be around that kind of thing, and where ever anyone gave you a chance to redeem yourself, you just couldn't do it, now yoiu are on here slagging off those who originally tried to help you (zu) and those you left damaged by your actions at the skatepark. People reading your posts will think you have been wronged, whe there were reasons why you were asked to leave, the abuse you then hurled at everyone down there was up to you, but you didn't hold back. I just want to set that record staright for the other readers of your posts. You have a chance to start again, if you wish-how about a clean slate, it is possible to be a free thinker and hard grafter without being unpleasant to those who disagree with you, or who find your ways hard to work with.
On 22 Dec 2015 at 10:03pm Lost wrote:
What has Ian alleged to have done?
On 22 Dec 2015 at 10:16pm Belladonna wrote:
I think we'd all like to save a great resource for the youth of Lewes. I'd also like to know what happens to the grants the Skatehouse raised - were t they awarded some lottery money ? Surely the onus is on Santon to repay those grants and help the Skatehouse relocate ? An appalling misuse of community efforts and finds if it is lost
On 23 Dec 2015 at 1:15am lewes wrote:
Santon have pledged to spend thousands of pounds to improve the existing facilities on malling fields and this includes improving and enlarging the existing skate park. Hopefully a win win for the skating enthusiasts. I hope to see the malling field area resemble something like the level in Brighton. Fingers crossed!
On 23 Dec 2015 at 8:34am curious wrote:
What's happened to those grants that Belladonna mentions? I thought that Santon had helped with the Skatehouse. Have I got that wrong? Did people have to contribute for using it? Did Phoenix Rising underwrite it at all from their fund of donated money?
Good that Santon are involved in its future.
On 23 Dec 2015 at 3:09pm Sam wrote:
My understanding was that it was built on a lottery grant, funds that were won by one of our talented local skaters. That is part of the problem, the monies have been spent and are no longer accessible and the facilities are not portable. I am not aware of any input other than reduced rent by Santon, I would like that to change ......

On 23 Dec 2015 at 6:55pm Ollie wrote:
The skate park came about in 2011 when I entered a Barclays and channel 4 competition with the help of a member of the council and won 20,000. Then the community came together and helped make it possible. Other grants had been secured along the way however they were to build/maintain stuff in the venue. I am no longer involved with the place as there was so much drama however it is an amazing place for young people and there was always a promise from santon to provide a sheltered public facility after the skate house is gone providing the need was there from the community which it definatly it. They are doing an amazing job there, however it would be good to see something open more often which is why making a public park means It can be open a lot more. The new development phase for the outdoor park is slowly coming together now I hear
On 23 Dec 2015 at 7:49pm curious wrote:
Curious about the 'drama' you referred to Ollie. Must have been big to make you stop being involved. After all the venue only existed because of you. and I presume it was a free facility. This is a story that the local community know little about. Why is it not open more often given the gift to the community that you made possible? I'm glad the the outdoor park is slowly coming together. What I don't understand is why the Skate House was so pivotal in the Phoenix Rising Company's ongoing publicity appeal for support and donations when as you say Santon had agreed from the beginning to provide a sheltered public facility if the need were there. It feels almost as if Phoenix Rising was using the 'skate house' for its own publicity. But maybe I'm missing something. In any case I think it's sad you are no longer involved when your energy and skill had made it happen in the first place. Thank you for responding.
On 23 Dec 2015 at 8:20pm Viv wrote:
Thanks for clarifying Ollie, and thanks for starting up an awesome facility that my kids literally live for! Huge fingers crossed that Santon keep to their word x
On 23 Dec 2015 at 10:45pm ian freeston wrote:
HISTORY
what went down has created for a small, yet getting very wealthy town, experience for the kids.
of course we would like it to continue... yet its getting demolished
goggle and look at every other big skate park in this land
had to do to
make it happen..
thought the DIY approach with all of its trails and tribulations
now is the time for unity
at least 200.000 worth of make it happen
wake up and call a meeting xxx

On 23 Dec 2015 at 10:56pm Bus user wrote:
There's a large allocation of funding for recreation tied to the planning consent that Santon and Lewes just won. The skate facility in Malling Rec could be a purpose designed and built facility like the Level and with a cover, so available when it rains in rain. We will also want to provide something for girls to do that's free to all and open all hours - not that girls can't skate, skateboard, BMX bike, it's just that they don't do it much. Anyone seen a girl on Malling Rec half pipe? Can't say I have.
On 24 Dec 2015 at 12:10am Ollie wrote:
Thank you very much. I think the drama was to do with personal agendas and lack of knowledge when it came to running a sustainable business. Yes we were a not for profit organisation, but we had overheads to pay to run the building and continue the build so a small fee was charged as all indoor venues would. And yeah I do agree with you to do with the Phoenix rising. I feel they feel threatened that they will have to leave so they are promoting the really important community venues that exist in the Phoenix estate in an attempt to save themselves. The skate house was never permenant and was always going to be demolished and a find given for a outdoor skatepark extension.
And regarding the issue with girls skating. We ran a very busy girls skating session every Monday. Not to mention a lot of the skate coaching I did was with girls.
Thanks y'all
On 24 Dec 2015 at 8:56am logical wrote:
Thanks for the info Ollie. it 's a bit worrying that people in this town might have given money to Phoenix Rising in the mistaken idea that they were 'saving' the Skate House. I could see parents doing this in order to support their kids' enthusiasm when in fact it was always known to be temporary and a new one was going to be funded by Santon. A bit rum really.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Arms Lads 55:132
Lewes Arms Lads

Im not as convinced as you are that ivermectin is effective as a treatment for covid. The overwhelming evidence shows the vaccine... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington