Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

SOS for our NHS

On 19 Oct 2016 at 8:52am watcher wrote:
I read with horror yesterday's thread on this forum 'Mental Health services'. I'm not stupid, I know things are bad and the Conservative's destroy strategy is transparent. However reading senior nurse's, and Mark's posts really brought home to me how cold blooded and deliberate this asset stripping destruction of our 'Service' by the Conservatives actually is. It makes me very angry.
I have stories that I can tell of bad experiences over recent years and I am sure others have. Please share them on here and with others. Unlike the rich
we don't have the alternative of a private system. I have some knowledge of the US system and it is dire and divisive, so rich and powerful that no president, including Obama has really been able to touch it. Do we really want
to put our lives and the health of our society in such self serving hands?
What can we do? Please post and give suggestions, especially other people from the inside like Mike and senior nurse. Our MP Maria Caulfield for
goodness sake is a nurse. Where is her voice? She has said she became politicised whilst working for the NHS. What exactly does that mean?
We need concerted action to avert this deliberate dismantling before more
harm is done - and not just a march up the high Street! Please excuse this rant of frustration. But this forum is one of the few places where people feel free to speak their minds. What are your suggestions? What can we do?
On 19 Oct 2016 at 11:34am GoM wrote:
Just rejoice and be thankful - that's all you can do. Kind regards.
On 19 Oct 2016 at 12:16pm SHS wrote:
We can start buying British and manufacturing what we currently import to make our country rich again. The falling pound is a great help in this respect (look-up China's recent history, the UK after the war & several other examples of prosperity).
On 19 Oct 2016 at 12:57pm watcher wrote:
SHS, we are the 4th richest country in the world. Despite the Govt's propaganda we can easily afford the NHS. It's not lack of money, it's their aim to enrich their multinational company mates that is the motivation for this destruction from within.
On 19 Oct 2016 at 1:46pm watching wrote:
So why did Labour agree with Cameron, Hunt and Osbourne and back remain which would of left the NHS completely exposed to the EU TTIP deal and the very real threat of being sued and privatised by multinationals? You can't trust any of them with the NHS.
Privatisation started under New labour.
On 19 Oct 2016 at 2:41pm Sussex Jim wrote:
The NHS is nominally funded by National Insurance contributions.
What do most insurance policies impose when one makes a claim? An excess. Why not charge a nominal consultancy fee, say 10; when visiting a doctor? After all, most people have to pay for a prescription.
The GENUINELY poor and disadvantaged could have an exemption- perhaps funded by extra charges on those who clog up A&E on Friday and Saturday nights due to overindulgence.

On 19 Oct 2016 at 4:59pm Amon wildes wrote:
TTIP has been thrown out although the almost equally damagiing Ceta is still an ongoing possibility. CETA would also allow companies to sue the NHS. It should be abandoned too and I am hopeful that it will be thrown out like TTIP.
On 19 Oct 2016 at 10:35pm Adele wrote:
Would it by any slight chance that there are too many people here ? ? Also, for example Brighton financed the i360 lending 36.2m from the Public Works Loan Board (?) but can't/won't build a new hospital !! Most hospitals are Victorian !!
On 20 Oct 2016 at 12:50am Wotcha wrote:
"Brighton ... won't build a hospital"? There's not a council anywhere in the country that will build a hospital. That's the job of the NHS, funded by central government.
On 20 Oct 2016 at 8:01am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I love the way some people have no grasp whatsoever of how public services in the country are provided and funded.
Anyway, the RSCH has had massive amounts of new building in last 25 years and a whole new hospital has been built at Haywards Heath, which is part of the same NHS trust. I can't remember a time when there hasn't been building going on somewhere on the county site.
The problem with the NHS in this area is caused by lack of money for staff and services, the buildings are pretty good.
On 20 Oct 2016 at 9:07am Tina wrote:
Interesting to hear that Branson's bid for a local health visitor service has been dropped cos he's not able to create sufficient profit from a front line service that protects our very young. The NHS are taking it back in house. A prime example of how the NHS is being hollowed out for profit and greed by the money establishment led by the heinous Hunt.Under his care tax payers
will be left footing the bill for the 'expensive' bits of our Service that no one
else wants. And yes, 'watching', New 'Labour' under Blair and Brown did groom the NHS for privatisation through the establishment of the catastrophic trusts and the cynical PPF arrangements set to cripple the NHS for a
generation. Remember too that New Labour were a centralist party not a
Labour party at all. Its strings were pulled by friends and donors in big business. No different from Cameron's rabble. The present real Labour party
has made real pledges to secure and properly fund our National Health Service. I'm beginning to think they are our only hope if we are serious about keeping a health system that doesn't come with a price.

On 20 Oct 2016 at 10:32pm Amon wildes wrote:
I think you may sadly be right Tina. With kids working in the NHS, I have a ring side seat and see how the whole NHS is creaking and groaning now. You are so right about the hiving off of the profitable to private companies, leaving a hugely underfunded and under resourced NHS to deal with the difficult stuff; particularly mental health.

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

lewes railway land 76:132
lewes railway land

Ignoring unhelpful name calling and relying on government statistics which show that the delta variant is the Indian variant... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim