On 21 Oct 2015 at 10:19pm Jeff wrote:
its Ok
Just OK
On 21 Oct 2015 at 10:26pm petitepois wrote:
West Sussex?!?!?!
On 21 Oct 2015 at 10:41pm Small Pea wrote:
Love it!
On 21 Oct 2015 at 11:05pm Metatron wrote:
Great building but doesn't fit the location.
On 21 Oct 2015 at 11:13pm Tipex wrote:
Rusty Cladding? Think I used to go to school with him.
Still undecided re the house but do think they should BUY SOME CURTAINS!
On 21 Oct 2015 at 11:14pm southstreeter wrote:
Really like it and I actually think it does suit the location , it obviously has an industrial feel and it is alongside a busy road and just up the road from an industrial estate . lucky owners imagine having that view .
On 21 Oct 2015 at 11:16pm interesting wrote:
Nice looking build. Yes, curtains needed!
On 21 Oct 2015 at 11:34pm Pete wrote:
Why don't the West Sussex loving DFL's pick up their rusty shack and move it to Chichester, where it won't be a blot on our landscape! Ugly, stupid design with no thought for their neighbours or surrounding area.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 12:42am The Old Mayor wrote:
Will the opposite side NEVER ever be built on ?? Bet they will always be up at dawn with no curtains !! And I never saw the TV, they said they watched ! Not keen !
On 22 Oct 2015 at 9:27am dizzydi wrote:
Building a house obviously makes you horny! Every programme is the same. Mid way the girl is expecting. Not keen on the rust bucket, not child friendly.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 9:34am Bob wrote:
Hmmmmm fleshy buttocks pressed up against that big glass window.......
On 22 Oct 2015 at 10:45am Harry wrote:
Nice view out the front, lots of noise and fumes out the back. Never understood why people with money would choose to live on a really busy road.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 10:59am Mavis wrote:
Nice to see the mayoress made such an effort for the cameras !!
On 22 Oct 2015 at 11:11am Bongo wrote:
I think the cladding looks amazing. I'll be down there with my camera taking photos of it against a vibrant blue sky. Compared with most of the contemporary style of house that pops up around Lewes, this one is possibly the best.
Hate that huge living/dining/kitchen room. I would have made it L-shpaed, or even had a wrap-around open room with a walk-through kitchen.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 12:03pm Pirate wrote:
Arrr Bob lad - I'll drop anchor outside and press my hairy arse against the window next high tide
On 22 Oct 2015 at 12:06pm Sick and Tired wrote:
looks like a brown turd with legs....
On 22 Oct 2015 at 12:14pm Bob wrote:
Pirate, no, I'm serious. And from the other side of the river!
On 22 Oct 2015 at 12:36pm Yawn wrote:
It's a fantastic building, brilliantly designed and articulated in a excellent palate of materials. Of course nimbys and luddites don't like it, but some people are never happy and thrive on moaning. All towns should have a large mix of architectural styles.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 1:08pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm sure it's a lovely house to live in and the views are stunning, but from the street side it looks bloody awful imo.
It didn't seem awfully child-friendly either. No garden to speak of and the river along one side would give me serious anxiety if I had a toddler.
And did anyone else wonder where the dogs' beds were? I was starting to wonder if they sleep in the cupboard under the toaster.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 1:34pm A.T wrote:
Where on earth are the children going to play? Outdoors is out of the question and inside there are sharp corners everywhere and a table with a hole in the middle to drop your drink through- totally unpractical.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 1:38pm Metatron wrote:
Great building but doesn't fit the location.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 3:08pm Mark wrote:
Thing that amused me was that it was shown with the happy family settling in and looking pleased and then I drove by this AM. Diggers in the garden. Scaffolding all over. The garden that was gravel last night was now back to mud. It's not even close to completion.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 4:05pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
I am convinced that Kevin McCloud impregnates all the women participants on this show.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 5:17pm Jaffa wrote:
He certainly **cks up something.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 5:39pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
It looked very finished in that programme. I wonder if something's gone wrong with it. Maybe the water table has risen with the recent rain.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 6:33pm Mark wrote:
It did look completely finished in the programme but I drive past everyday and it's been a building sight for months. Clever camera angles I suppose.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 8:39pm Oldbutintouch wrote:
Not only did our Kevin move Lewes to West Sussex, he described a tatty slate hung wall as "mathematical tiles". Who researched and edited this program?
On 22 Oct 2015 at 11:09pm Jaffa wrote:
I saw the programme and thought how attractive South Sreet and Cliffe looked, then I saw the gateway in to Lewes, enough to make you turn round at the appropriately placed lay-bys.
God save Lewes from architects, developers and planners in far off places. What have they given us, the HQ building, the boxes in Prince Edwards Road and the Avenue. All boxes, where is the merit in those? We have the North Street and Waitrose developments to look forward to as well as the bland overbearing Premier Inn. Why should these money grabbers destroy our town.
God save Lewes from architects, greedy developers and planners in far off places.

On 23 Oct 2015 at 2:02am Waltef wrote:
Next
On 23 Oct 2015 at 6:30am Disneyef wrote:
Mickey mouse production team
On 23 Oct 2015 at 3:07pm Cuban Raft Rider wrote:
Thank goodness that LDC Planning did not get their way our we'd have cloned brick box with plastic window frames. I think it enhances the view from & along the river not just blending in but adding subtle vibrancy with an industrial edge.
I believe he will have mooring rights, a pontoon would be amazing. I wonder if plans for a balcony to extend the garden are in progress
Let us not forget that this was an industrial site beside a busy carriageway that looks rubbish. Massive improvement, instant eye candy to introduce your gaze to South Street.
There is a PR opportunity for Monsoon to sponsor the Mayoress with fit out
On 23 Oct 2015 at 3:28pm Nell1895 wrote:
I just think its a shame its privately owned. Would have made a great community facility of some sort. Or a great bird-watching site! Not many people will be able to enjoy that view - just them and their mates!
On 23 Oct 2015 at 4:01pm What! wrote:
Take a few steps to the left Nell, look over the river and enjoy exactly the same view! You might even see some birds!
On 23 Oct 2015 at 8:27pm Jaffa wrote:
Extend what garden. Hardly the place to bring up children unless they want to swim.
Why build an industrial looking building on a site that is no longer industrial? We've moved on.
350k for that wedge of almost unusable ground, bet that's got the boat club thinking!!
On 24 Oct 2015 at 8:51am Peter wrote:

Are people serious abut this 'gateway to Lewes' phrase? It's nonsense. Do many peoe walk to Lewes, pass that spot, see that house and quake? If you are driving in you are probably going 30mph with an ugly great tunnel in front of you. (A tunnel that was carefully ignored in the programme).
And no-one in a car can complain about anything they see through their windows, given that Lewes would be more beautiful, quieter and cleaner without their cars.
Walk into and around the town (avoiding the cars), the worst buildings are the redundant ones. I don't mind the Tesco garage, Aldi, the council offices and the rest. There is a certain beauty in all buildings that are performing their original function well, even if they weren't built to be beautiful in the first place. We should be embarrassed at the empty and derelict buildings that no one can get permission change or remove. And we should worry about the fact that the Grand Designs people found it so easy to hang the programme on 'overcoming local opposition' as if we are a bunch of prissy hicks. (Thanks a lot Ms Murray).
And the phrase 'in keeping' is a modern nonsense as well.
On 25 Oct 2015 at 9:23am Well said wrote:
Well said Peter. I too worried about the parochial tone of the programme. And the research was woeful. If McCloud comes back in 5 years time I suspect he will find his advertising chum has moved in from Lewes and from wife number 3.
The house itself will weather and blend in time. Some judicious tree planting might help soften the edges - I believe there is some garden area to the south of the plot. Bloody noisy though.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Mercury and Magnesium 91:132
Mercury and Magnesium

Ah but if they came on your land the owners would be trespassing. Cats are the worst offenders and seagulls, do they aim at cars? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare